DHS CARS LAND

FigmentJedi

Exactly. It bothers me when people say that it's a bad thing that Islands of Adventure does not have a single theme tying the park together.
But it does. Islands of Adventure's theme is books with the Lighthouse up front being the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Marvel's Comic Books
Toon Lagoon is mostly newspaper comics
Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Dr. Seuss all have areas
The Lost Continent is classical mythology and the Arabian Nights.

Cosmic Commando

I remember the dark ride being a ride through classic movie moments.
Huh..... What an original idea.
I'm working from memory and I'm pretty sure the original source was Jim Hill, but I think it was both: classic movie moments in one ride, and making an animated movie in a separate ride.

djlaosc

Exactly. It bothers me when people say that it's a bad thing that Islands of Adventure does not have a single theme tying the park together. Been to Magic Kingdom recently? Not saying that that's a bad thing, as I don't think that single park theme is all that necessary. Like you said, as long as a distinction between the lands is made, then there really isn't a problem.

At the moment, doesn't IOA have a single theme of "literature"?

Magic Kingdom almost has a theme of "time periods", but Fantasyland doesn't fit in with that (although it could be said that Storybook Circus does), unless you take that as being "your childhood", but then that's still not really a set time period like the others...

Actually, isn't the theme of Magic Kingdom "things that Walt was interested in" or "things that Walt wanted to promote from his other business ventures"?

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Magic Kingdom almost has a theme of "time periods", but Fantasyland doesn't fit in with that (although it could be said that Storybook Circus does), unless you take that as being "your childhood", but then that's still not really a set time period like the others...

I could almost see that being a theme at IoA, if it weren't for Toon Lagoon and Port of Entry...

But, if I stretch the imagination and say Toon Lagoon is a nod to the comic versions of those characters (even if a limited run)...I could buy it.

BryceM

Yes, I understand that there is a "theme of literature", but it isn't glaringly obvious, like say, Disney's ANIMAL Kingdom or Disney CALIFORNIA Adventure, where the parks have an overall theme of animals and California. I mean, it isn't called Universal's Islands of Literature. Though I do agree with the literature theme, it just isn't as obvious.

BryceM

I could almost see that being a theme at IoA, if it weren't for Toon Lagoon and Port of Entry...

But, if I stretch the imagination and say Toon Lagoon is a nod to the comic versions of those characters (even if a limited run)...I could buy it.
I'd say Toon Lagoon is tied into literature... Well, at least Comic Strip Lane is. Though, Dudley-Do Right's Ripsaw Falls and Popeye's Barges are definitely not literature based...

lazyboy97o

Actually, isn't the theme of Magic Kingdom "things that Walt was interested in" or "things that Walt wanted to promote from his other business ventures"?
Yes, Disneyland was Walt's interests but that isn't a theme. The park even changed with his changing interests.

I'd say Toon Lagoon is tied into literature... Well, at least Comic Strip Lane is. Though, Dudley-Do Right's Ripsaw Falls and Popeye's Barges are definitely not literature based...
Popeye started as a comic strip character, but Dudley-Do Riht is from television.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except this means totally ditching the studio concept. Despite its brief time named Universal Studios Islands of Adventure, the park never had a studio angle.

I am all for ditching the studio concept. The remaining studio elements are pretty lame at this point and it hasn't been a working studio for some time. I still think they can have a general Hollywood and movie theme for the park without it being a "working studio". The front of the park stays as is representing Hollywood as it was and the back half features mini-lands based on Pixar and Lucas Films plus the Muppets. As long as the transitions are done properly the theme of each ride/area won't leak into its neighbor. Classic Disney movies are well represented in MK. DHS can/should represent the other studios left out at MK. Keep the characters out of EPCOT completely.

Skibum1970

I am all for ditching the studio concept. The remaining studio elements are pretty lame at this point and it hasn't been a working studio for some time. I still think they can have a general Hollywood and movie theme for the park without it being a "working studio". The front of the park stays as is representing Hollywood as it was and the back half features mini-lands based on Pixar and Lucas Films plus the Muppets. As long as the transitions are done properly the theme of each ride/area won't leak into its neighbor. Classic Disney movies are well represented in MK. DHS can/should represent the other studios left out at MK. Keep the characters out of EPCOT completely.

I always thought that if each ride had its own courtyard that we could transition from the Pixar street into the world of the individual cartoon.

lazyboy97o

The front of the park stays as is representing Hollywood as it was and the back half features mini-lands based on Pixar and Lucas Films plus the Muppets. As long as the transitions are done properly the theme of each ride/area won't leak into its neighbor.
To me what makes for a great park is what happens between neighboring attractions. I don't see that in a Pixar Place or a Lucasfilm land. The films themselves aren't related in story, and story is what's important, not maker.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To me what makes for a great park is what happens between neighboring attractions. I don't see that in a Pixar Place or a Lucasfilm land. The films themselves aren't related in story, and story is what's important, not maker.
Agreed that the transitions would be the key. I don't think they have enough space to have dedicated "lands" for too many films. I'm thinking maybe 3 to 4 Pixar films tops. Toys Story would stay and I think there is enough space to do a Carsland and a section for Monsters Inc. No cars in Monsters land or Buzz and Woody in Radiator Springs. If you take out most of the back corner of DHS there is plenty of room to do that and keep the "lands" completely seperate.

For LucasLand either Star Wars and Indy or maybe just Star Wars. Without another ride there is no reason to keep the Indy stunt show. If they add an Indy themed ride and maybe a restaurant/shop too then it is probably worth keeping the show. Star Wars could have its own section that would be large enough for a seamless transition.

lazyboy97o

Agreed that the transitions would be the key. I don't think they have enough space to have dedicated "lands" for too many films. I'm thinking maybe 3 to 4 Pixar films tops. Toys Story would stay and I think there is enough space to do a Carsland and a section for Monsters Inc. No cars in Monsters land or Buzz and Woody in Radiator Springs. If you take out most of the back corner of DHS there is plenty of room to do that and keep the "lands" completely seperate.

For LucasLand either Star Wars and Indy or maybe just Star Wars. Without another ride there is no reason to keep the Indy stunt show. If they add an Indy themed ride and maybe a restaurant/shop too then it is probably worth keeping the show. Star Wars could have its own section that would be large enough for a seamless transition.
This is exactly what what I am not keen on seeing. There is no relationship in their stories to relate Cars, Monsters Inc. and Toy Story under a single heading, Pixar Place. Radiator Springs, Monstropolis and Andy's Room may well work as distinct lands under an Islands of Adventure-type model, but that's not the same as a Pixar Place. The same applies to Lucasfilm properties being grouped together. Muppet Studios as a concept made more sense because the Muppets as characters are entertainers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is exactly what what I am not keen on seeing. There is no relationship in their stories to relate Cars, Monsters Inc. and Toy Story under a single heading, Pixar Place. Radiator Springs, Monstropolis and Andy's Room may well work as distinct lands under an Islands of Adventure-type model, but that's not the same as a Pixar Place. The same applies to Lucasfilm properties being grouped together. Muppet Studios as a concept made more sense because the Muppets as characters are entertainers.

I get what you are saying. But I don't have an issue with it as along as there is a solid separation between the film "lands". I would not be a fan of a Pixar Street which just had show buildings on it from different Pixar movies. Toy Story, then the next building over is MI coaster than the next is Rat ride and so on. That to me would be a jumbled mess.

Makes no difference to me who makes the films really. Disney obviously wants to use its own films and characters for rides in its parks which I'm ok with. IOA has film characters from many different makers and they don't clash since they are for the most part properly separated.

Pumbaa1222

What do the Hundred Acre Woods, The Mine Train, Eric's Castle and Belle's Village have in common? Somehow we are ok with all of those being linked under "Fantasyland" Or Tom Sawyer's St. Petersburg, Missouri, a cartoon South, or the mine town of Tumbleweed (all geographically distinct places) tie together? Or the Caribbean, South Pacific, or a Jungle Cruise that takes you all around the world on one quick boat right.

The point is, that all areas of a theme park need a loose theme. Each attraction will have a unique theme. As visitors, we willing suspend our disbelieve in transitioning from one attraction to the next, as long as there is some common continuity in theme.

Turtle

What do the Hundred Acre Woods, The Mine Train, Eric's Castle and Belle's Village have in common? Somehow we are ok with all of those being linked under "Fantasyland" Or Tom Sawyer's St. Petersburg, Missouri, a cartoon South, or the mine town of Tumbleweed (all geographically distinct places) tie together? Or the Caribbean, South Pacific, or a Jungle Cruise that takes you all around the world on one quick boat right.

The point is, that all areas of a theme park need a loose theme. Each attraction will have a unique theme. As visitors, we willing suspend our disbelieve in transitioning from one attraction to the next, as long as there is some common continuity in theme.
*virtual high five*

lazyboy97o

The relationships are in subject matter and genre, not producer. Larger ideas like Adventureland work because they still have a basis. The studio concept, even when remaining focused on a particular studio (Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc.) is open for practically anything so long as it fits the shallow criteria of being made by the correct legal entity.

Turtle

The relationships are in subject matter and genre, not producer. Larger ideas like Adventureland work because they still have a basis. The studio concept, even when remaining focused on a particular studio (Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc.) is open for practically anything so long as it fits the shallow criteria of being made by the correct legal entity.
the basis/genre/relationship for Pixar Place is almost the same as Fantasyland just without the festival tents...

lazyboy97o

the basis/genre/relationship for Pixar Place is almost the same as Fantasyland just without the festival tents...
Fantasyland is not just a jumble of Disney films merely because they are Disney films. The relationships in the stories can be made beyond the Disney production of the films. That is not the case with the films suggested for Pixar Place. Where is the similarity between Cars and Toy Story beyond being buddy films made by Pixar? The films exist in completely separate worlds that have no basis for overlap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom