DHS CARS LAND

Admiral01

Premium Member
why would you put nemo in DHS animal kingdom it is perfect but it shouldnt be in the dinoland section

As someone who just spent all day at EPCOT, I ask: Why put ANY thought into where Nemo goes? Stick him in the Living Seas, in the DL Submarine Adventure, in Dinoland USA, on the walls at the Caribbean Beach Resort... The decisions on how to incorporate the Nemo character were the worst things to happen to the theme parks in a long time...leave him at Animal Kingdom so that eventually someone will wake up and realize this little clown fish has been stuffed into more out-of-place attractions than Stitch even was and the decision to return some thematic quality will happen.

ToTBellHop

As someone who just spent all day at EPCOT, I ask: Why put ANY thought into where Nemo goes? Stick him in the Living Seas, in the DL Submarine Adventure, in Dinoland USA, on the walls at the Caribbean Beach Resort... The decisions on how to incorporate the Nemo character were the worst things to happen to the theme parks in a long time...leave him at Animal Kingdom so that eventually someone will wake up and realize this little clown fish has been stuffed into more out-of-place attractions than Stitch even was and the decision to return some thematic quality will happen.
Disney doesn't understand what oversaturation is. Did you hear a new Star Wars movie will come out every summer starting in 2015???

jt04

Disney doesn't understand what oversaturation is. Did you hear a new Star Wars movie will come out every summer starting in 2015???

There is a Pixar movie every year too. But they are mostly unique stand alone stories. At least until recently. The Star Wars Universe is vast. So vast, that it will be easy to do a feature film every year and more. It is why so many in Hollywood are wanting to get in on these projects. And Disney is bringing in some very talented behind the cameras folks. I am very optimistic about the future of 'a long time ago'.

ToTBellHop

Did you see Cars 2? Or Brave? It's been awhile since I've seen a Pixar movie with Pixar heart (probably Toy Story 3 was the last one I've enjoyed). I couldn't even sit through all of Cars 2.

jt04

Did you see Cars 2? Or Brave? It's been awhile since I've seen a Pixar movie with Pixar heart (probably Toy Story 3 was the last one I've enjoyed). I couldn't even sit through all of Cars 2.

Have not seen either. Star Wars is being handled differently than Pixar though. My point was that there is no limit of source material for Star Wars.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is a Pixar movie every year too. But they are mostly unique stand alone stories. At least until recently. The Star Wars Universe is vast. So vast, that it will be easy to do a feature film every year and more. It is why so many in Hollywood are wanting to get in on these projects. And Disney is bringing in some very talented behind the cameras folks. I am very optimistic about the future of 'a long time ago'.

Not unlike Marvel. There has been a Marvel movies every year since 2002 and there will likely continue to be one every year for the forseable future.

lazyboy97o

Not unlike Marvel. There has been a Marvel movies every year since 2002 and there will likely continue to be one every year for the forseable future.
And that's being ramped up. We're set for two Marvel Cinematic Universe films each year and then whatever Sony and Fox release with the characters they hold. In 2014 there will be four Marvel films released to theaters: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (MCU, April 4), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2), X-Men: Days of Future Past (July 18) and Guardians of the Galaxy (MCU, August 1). Excepting June, that's almost a Marvel film each month for the spring/summer!

GLaDOS

But Marvel and Pixar are very, very different animals than Star Wars, IMO.

Star Wars are event movies. Having one every year will eventually bite them in the butt. Disney is setting its studio up to fall hard sooner or later. Marvel won't be the powerhouse it is now. Eventually actors will leave and interest will wane. Without developing new avenues of revenue, Disney is handcuffing itself something serious here.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think Disney is playing this whole Star Wars thing just right. I very much like what's happening from Disney on the movie side of the shop now.

Pixar animation once a year, in generally unconnected stories -- they've had a (mostly) good run at one a year, and I don't see why it won't continue. Their stuff is great for kids, and entertaining for adults as well. Cars 2 was not up to par, and I really did not like Brave, so they aren't perfect at all, but I'll take their track record any day.

Marvel -- Two movies a year part of a fairly complicated connected plot. Perfect for those us who like ongoing narratives and complex stories to go with our explosions and vamping stars. While Thor and Iron Man 2 were not very good, the others in the series so far have ranged from decent (Hulk) to great (Avengers). And by using a myriad of writers and directors with oversight to keep the story straight, they've built a compelling ongoing narrative while allowing each film it's own style and voice. Although the material here (superhero stuff) isn't exactly ambitious, the execution and plan is quite ambitious, and they're hitting more than they are missing.

Star Wars -- A universe that just screams to be developed more than it has been. And now Disney will develop it. One movie a year is unlikely to overwhelm people, especially if, as they say, the even year movies are "side stories" that may touch on, but aren't part of, the main narrative. They seem to have gone to quality folks on the directing and writing tasks, so they aren't just using the "if we release it, they will come" strategy.

Disney Animation -- Wreck-it-Ralph was entertaining for all, and Tangled has proven profitable as well. If they churn out a movie a year to go along with Pixar's stuff, we should all be happy. And with Marvel and Star Wars being the blockbusters, the Disney animation movies won't have the pressure to do $300 million or be deemed failures.

Misc blockbuster attempts -- Pirates, Lone Ranger, John Carter. This will be a mix of hits and misses, but again, with Marvel and Star Wars as virtually guaranteed big hits, you don't have to do a "bet the studio" thing like they did with John Carter.

I'm upbeat on this side of the company.

GLaDOS

I can't agree at all. The "only tentpole" way of thinking is one that will eventually fail. It's an if not a when.

For all the flack people give Disney about the parks here, the studios are run much, much more poorly.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Am I the ONLY one that thought Brave was fantastic!? The animation was stunning and I loved characters. I honestly feel both Cars and Cars2 are pixars worst films though. Something about them I just don't like at all!

I thought the animation in Brave was great. I just thought the story was terrible, the heroine unlikable, and the dialogue largely uninteresting.

Cars I thought was great. Cars 2 was the Pixar version of a summer movie blockbuster -- all action and no heart.

FrankLapidus

I can't agree at all. The "only tentpole" way of thinking is one that will eventually fail. It's an if not a when.

For all the flack people give Disney about the parks here, the studios are run much, much more poorly.

I agree. I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm very excited for the new trilogy but I think a new film every year is overkill. I don't blame Disney for wanting to cash in on the biggest film franchise in the world but I hope the quantity doesn't come at the expense of quality; there's a lot of potential in spin-off films centered around characters like Han Solo and Bob Fett but I'm a little pessimistic at the moment that the finished products will do justice to the characters. Time will tell.

FrankLapidus

Am I the ONLY one that thought Brave was fantastic!? The animation was stunning and I loved characters. I honestly feel both Cars and Cars2 are pixars worst films though. Something about them I just don't like at all!

Nope I really enjoyed it. I thought the mother/daughter relationship was really well done and I liked the story even if the film isn't quite up there with Pixar's best.

GLaDOS

I agree. I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm very excited for the new trilogy but I think a new film every year is overkill. I don't blame Disney for wanting to cash in on the biggest film franchise in the world but I hope the quantity doesn't come at the expense of quality; there's a lot of potential in spin-off films centered around characters like Han Solo and Bob Fett but I'm a little pessimistic at the moment that the finished products will do justice to the characters. Time will tell.

See, I don't even see much potential in those stories.

Do we need prequels for these characters? I mean, we've already seen what a prequel can do to a character like Boba Fett's mystique. Sometimes less is more.

Turtle

Brave had some heart and MU is being reviewed and its been said that its classic pixar

FrankLapidus

See, I don't even see much potential in those stories.

Do we need prequels for these characters? I mean, we've already seen what a prequel can do to a character like Boba Fett's mystique. Sometimes less is more.

We don't need them but if this is the route that Disney wants to go down then those are the characters that are going to bring people into cinemas because they're the most popular. I can't imagine Han Solo not being played by Harrison Ford but there's scope there to expand on the character and explain some of his back-story, the same with Boba Fett if they decide to show how he became the character he was in the original trilogy. There's a lot of risk that comes with the spin-offs but equally I think there's potential there if they're done right.

Less used to be more, that attitude doesn't exist in Hollywood any more sadly.

n2hifi

Brave and Tangled (I know, not Pixar) are probably my two favorites right now. I actually don't mind when my kids want to watch them 'again'. I think the Brave story is powerful and the characters well developed. The animation is the best I have seen. I enjoyed Cars 2 as well but it certainly had it problems. My 5 year old was asleep after 20 minutes. The plot was too dark for (my) children and the movie couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. I could watch Cars over and over but not Cars 2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom