DHS CARS LAND

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nevertheless, they were bullied by a legal threat.

Last time I respond to this absurdity....

But bullied? Disney knew the legal constraints and still decided to go ahead with the monorail. It wasn't stopped, and I'm sure they'll do it again. They're no victim, just as they're not trading/swapping/exchanging/bartering for those rights in WDW. Both sides are perfectly content with the deal, along with the share prices right now.

Move on and stop derailing threads with this nonsense....

|Q|

Not to stir the controversy, only because i find it interesting (i'm in Italy, and looks like Paris is gettin Marvel sooner anyway ;), but instead of "buying back" the rights couldn't they just buy back the exclusivity clause? I mean, new Marvel attractions in Orlando would likely spike attendance number in certain demographics for both resorts, and Universal could get a nice cut in their Marvel fee. Just for the sake of discussion =)

PeterAlt

It's not. Only to you ... am I interested in what they do in the Hong Kong and Paris sure, there are more important issues like the show quality issues across property I care more about...

They aren't... THEY KNEW IT WAS A PERPETUAL CONTRACT WHEN THEY BOUGHT MARVEL!
I know that! As they knew about the studio complications of it, but they didn't accept those, did they? They did what they could to fix it. For $4 billion (which is a lot of money these days), they got a prenuptial agreement instead of a marriage license. It sounds like the arrangement a friend who is in the process of a divorce just got - she has the kid for a week but the father has the child every other week. Sure, Marvel made its own mess, but it's up to its new owner to put Humpty Dumpty together again.

I can't believe an issue of such importance to the existence of the company is being debated here with such ferocity. I just have to file this in the "whatever" file in my head and move on...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I know that! As they knew about the studio complications of it, but they didn't accept those, did they? They did what they could to fix it. For $4 billion (which is a lot of money these days), they got a prenuptial agreement instead of a marriage license. It sounds like the arrangement a friend who is in the process of a divorce just got - she has the kid for a week but the father has the child every other week. Sure, Marvel made its own mess, but it's up to its new owner to put Humpty Dumpty together again.

I can't believe an issue of such importance to the existence of the company is being debated here with such ferocity. I just have to file this in the "whatever" file in my head and move on...
Marvel being represented in the theme parks is not an issue of any importance to the existence of Disney.

jt04

Not to stir the controversy, only because i find it interesting (i'm in Italy, and looks like Paris is gettin Marvel sooner anyway ;), but instead of "buying back" the rights couldn't they just buy back the exclusivity clause? I mean, new Marvel attractions in Orlando would likely spike attendance number in certain demographics for both resorts, and Universal could get a nice cut in their Marvel fee. Just for the sake of discussion =)

Everybody else can have Marvel, WDW can settle for Star Wars instead. Win-Win

flynnibus

Premium Member
thelma-and-louise-soaring.png

make it stop...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Please explain how not being able to build Marvel in WDW is so important to the existence of the company!? You actually believe that this is that serious a threat to Disney? Disney will survive just fine as a corporation without having Marvel in WDW.

BryceM

Please explain how not being able to build Marvel in WDW is so important to the existence of the company!? You actually believe that this is that serious a threat to Disney? Disney will survive just fine as a corporation without having Marvel in WDW.
Apparently this harder to understand than AP Physics.

... But really. I don't understand AP Physics. Help.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Those interested in the discussion about wetlands and conservation in RCID...

check out

http://www.rcid.org/Portals/0/Docum...nservation_Element_Policies-Data-Analysis.pdf

Of particular interest are pages
6A-4 - where the general objectives and policies regarding wetland conservation are outlined

6B-22 - map of class I vs II wetlands on property

6b-23 where they talk about the previous mitigation tradeoffs they were granted with the offsite stuff.. which lead to the Class I and II designations they use now.

It would seem to me.. that the deal struck in '92 really paints Disney into a corner a bit. Class I wetlands would take a lot of players involved to toy with.. including that big swath just to the east of DHS.

People get loose too often and think RCID is all-powerful within its bounds and have forgotten their basic civics classes. RCID is a local government.. which means they are still bound by the laws of the tiers above them, including county, state, and federal laws. What they do have is control over aspects explictly granted to them.. most of which would have been traditionally county/city level functions.. but even within those, they are bound by state and federal laws where applicable. That means agencies and regulations from people like the EPA still apply. Disney controls the strings a lot by being able to manipulate the definitions and influence the deals directly, etc.. but they are not autonomous in this area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom