DHS CARS LAND

Lee

Adventurer
Just a quick word or two...

- Trust lightbulb.

- As far as I know the project is still in development and isn't yet fully Greenlit.

- As '74 said in the other thread, TDA and Lasseter are against it. Skipper John has a ton of pull, but I don't see him actually stopping this if Staggs, Iger and the board like it.

- The scope of the project is unknown to me at this point, but I'm working to fix that.

- I'm ok with it, if done right. Wouldn't be my first choice, though.

- RSR cost in excess if $300mil, the most expensive ride ever. Cloning will cut that down to somewhat more than Everest money. Makes some sense.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually, Master Yoda, you could do what we PLAN on doing next year (nothing firm yet, but still)...drive. Yup, coast to coast along I-10, from Middleburg all the way do L.A. (and in this case, I DO NOT mean Lower Alabama...). Plan is to make the trip part of the fun, with stops along the way (mostly on the way back, when we go a bit north to see the Grand Canyon and stuff).

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment...but our kids will be 15 and 11 - we're running out of time to take a trip like that.
We have tossed that idea around quite a bit. About the only problem is time. I only get 2 weeks of vacation per year and would have to blow nearly all of it to do it without marathon driving. I have a feeling we might be doing the cross country drive next summer with stops to visit friends and family in Vegas and Arizona.

orky8

Hmm. Thanks for the insight - I guess no executive is asking the questions of 'why' and 'how'? How does Carsland fit in DHS thematically and why are we crippling one resort draw in a time when a boy wizard is moving into Hollywood?

Why: Because the visitors to our two resorts do not tend to overlap, this will not cripple either resort. Just like building Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and the 8 million other cloned rides. Although one executive did probably ask why someone thought this question was worthy of his/her time given these facts.

How: DHS needs to retool its theme, and part of that retooled theme can be taking guests into the movies they know and love. Just like USH takes you to the sets, DHS can take you to the amazing places you see in the movies. Be part of the action. Pixar Place is about taking guests into the world of their favorite movies and characters. Brining those amazing scenes to life. Ever wish you could jump into your screen and take a race alonside the Cadillac Mountains, or hop on a door with Mike and Sully. Now you can.

Mr_Incredible

- Trust lightbulb.

- As far as I know the project is still in development and isn't yet fully Greenlit.

- As '74 said in the other thread, TDA and Lasseter are against it. Skipper John has a ton of pull, but I don't see him actually stopping this if Staggs, Iger and the board like it.

- The scope of the project is unknown to me at this point, but I'm working to fix that.

If Lasseter is against it, tell him to come up with something better, DHS needs it.

*I am not actually telling you to tell John Lasseter that haha

Mr_Incredible

Actually, Master Yoda, you could do what we PLAN on doing next year (nothing firm yet, but still)...drive. Yup, coast to coast along I-10, from Middleburg all the way do L.A. (and in this case, I DO NOT mean Lower Alabama...). Plan is to make the trip part of the fun, with stops along the way (mostly on the way back, when we go a bit north to see the Grand Canyon and stuff).

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment...but our kids will be 15 and 11 - we're running out of time to take a trip like that.

My wife and I would love to do this, Griswald style.....but like Yoda said, It's difficult to come up with that much vacation time.

One way we were thinking of doing it was flying one way to California, seeing Disney Land and DCA, then renting a car to drive back.

Buried20KLeague

couldn't agree more. I have never been to Japan but if I do I will not be visiting a Disney park. Too much else in the world to see. Same goes for China.

Not sure why not. I spent 3 days at Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, went to the Emporer's Palace, saw the tuna auctions in the wee hours of the morning at Tsukiji fish market, visited Hakone National Park, rode a bullet train, watched the Harijuku Girls, and stood half way up Mt. Fuji all on the same trip.

Same with China. I had a full slate of things to see, but made sure to schedule a day on Lantau Island with the Mouse.

devoy1701

Not sure why not. I spent 3 days at Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, went to the Emporer's Palace, saw the tuna auctions in the wee hours of the morning at Tsukiji fish market, visited Hakone National Park, rode a bullet train, watched the Harijuku Girls, and stood half way up Mt. Fuji all on the same trip.

Same with China. I had a full slate of things to see, but made sure to schedule a day on Lantau Island with the Mouse.

only halfway up Fuji??? :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
I want to hear more about Lights, Motor, Action! I don't understand why it's having legal issues. And would this impact Paris? If so, could Paris be getting the same expansion? If it really is a legal issue it would make sense. Plus it would be cheaper for TDO and Paris could use the attraction.

'legal' could simply mean contract issues with the performers... or insurance issues... etc. Think about it, who are the players that could be involved in a spat over LMA? It's not a licensed theme or anything. It's all gotta be about the people behind the show.. creators.. performers.. or regulation. Maybe Disney is under the 'scope for safety/ops of the show.. or maybe they are in a scwabble with those that produce it. It wouldn't surprise me if the show were actually put on by another company who actually hires the stunt people.. and Disney could be in a fight with them.

RSoxNo1

Wouldn't you think more? WIth LMA running only once or twice a day, and the BLT not being that big of a draw?

More, because LMA typically only runs three shows a day. Cars Land would be operating open until close, moving somewhere around 2000 guests per hour - depending what exactly gets built.

LMA heavily contributes to that side of the park being dead. The lack of shows after dark really kills off that side of the park. Cars would do so much to help that situation.
LMA holds 5000 guests per show, and normally runs 2 shows per day. Backlot Tour has a pretty high capacity (although it doesn't utilize it anymore) I thought I had heard it's in the 2000-3000 range.

Having said that, Carsland would be substantially more popular than these two, but I'm not sure it would be a huge capacity boost. It would also be more evenly distributed as opposed to 5000 people being entertained for 30 minutes twice a day, those crowds would be spread out throughout the entire day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we already had the RSR and TT situation when Wonders of Life was open, Body Wars in Epcot and Star Tours in MGM. Exact same ride system in the same two parks. I really don't think it makes a difference to the average guest.

...and look at how that turned out for Body Wars... :) But that was more because Body Wars was the worst simulator in Orlando behind ST and BTTF. TT and RSR are more than differentiated enough to not worry about the same technology in use.

Magenta Panther

- Trust lightbulb.

- RSR cost in excess if $300mil, the most expensive ride ever. Cloning will cut that down to somewhat more than Everest money. Makes some sense.

Yeah, in my last post I said the project was given the "red light". :p Freudian slip. I guess because deep down inside...I'm with Mr. Lasseter on this. But it beats putting in a Hulk ride or something nightmarish like that.

djlaosc

Any chance that they could just build RSR inside a studio building like TSMM to solve the rain problem (and potential theme issues)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom