DHS CARS LAND

flynnibus

Premium Member
Being a diehard fan, I visit Disneyland anyway...but your average park guests definitely won't

Correct - and if WDW is your preferred spot.. TWDC has no need to entice you to goto Disneyland either. People think going to one location is cheaper than the other for them... money spent on transportation to the 'further' park isn't going to Disney.. and more expensive trips means probably longer between trips. TWDC has no incentive to entice the masses to visit both parks when people are more than happy to keep visiting the same one over and over. It's better for Disney to entice you to return sooner.. than it is for Disney to try to convince you to visit the 'other' park.

djlaosc

So many unknowns....

Last I'd heard was RSR possibly but no Carsland, as a highlight of Pixarland/Place. Whilst things do change, could this be a CL with no RSR? Or the reverse?

Or a cheap RSR, like ToT elsewhere or Pooh in the States or Indy in Paris? Only a few weeks ago I heard about a few D, not E, tickets for DHS.

Can't we have both?

PurpleRose

DHS needs something like this. As much as I love the park (And I do), it needs something. I will not shed a tear over losing LMA or the Backlot. I don't care about it being a clone, per say. I'm just happy that DHS is going to get attention. It needs it. While you are at it, TDO, tear down the hat!

RSoxNo1

Steve, in your article about Carsland you referenced the price tag of $200 million. The numbers I've been hearing for California were in the $600-680 million range. Do you know something different here?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like I said earlier Skipper John not stepping up to defend this not leaving DCA makes me hesitant - not because I don't trust whylightbulb, but because I expect executive shakeup's before it lands 'plop' on DHS door.

It sure would make life simpler if you would post under the same identity all the time instead of creating new ones.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve, in your article about Carsland you referenced the price tag of $200 million. The numbers I've been hearing for California were in the $600-680 million range. Do you know something different here?
Sorry, I was referring to ride system, I'll update to clarify.

RSoxNo1

The addition of this attraction to the Studios should really come as no surprise, it is a no-brainer for Disney.
It is a proven ride, based on a massively successful movie franchise, and capable of being a headlining attraction. If you had this in your portfolio, why not bring it to Walt Disney World? Remember, unlike serious Disney fans, a good majority of guests only visit one of the resorts, not both. Car Land at WDW would be brand new for many guests. It also fills the need for a family friendly thrill attraction that the Studios so desperately needs.

In terms of it being unique to DCA, keep in mind it would be a couple of years before this thing is ready at WDW, even if construction started now. This gives California plenty of time to enjoy the glory of being first with this attraction. I don't see that being an issue at all.

Lights Motors Action appears to be problematic to operate. The limited number of shows per day, lack of any night shows, and poor repeat viewing seems to make it clear to go.

Now while they are bringing things from DLR and removing stunt shows - how about saying goodbye to Indy, and brining over the Indy ride. That would be one heck of a strong line-up!
It's the safe choice, it's the logical choice, and it's more or less exactly what Universal is doing with Transformers and Potter. They know it's going to be successful, so why not do it?

Having said that, my preference would be something different but my hope is that this is only part of a larger plan to unify that park under the more cohesive "Hollywood that never was" theme. Carsland will be a great addition, but if it's the only change then it's going to be a very expensive bandaid on something much larger than a cut.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A couple thoughts on this:

Color me surprised if it happens. For a couple reasons:

1. As I've watched construction at DL, I kept thinking to myself "well, the way they're building it, there's little chance it'll make it to Florida because of the mountain range." I'd like an engineer to comment on this, but I've always thought that huge wall of mountains would have trouble against hurricane force winds. In SoCal, it's not so much a concern, but in Florida, I would have to think those mountains would act almost like a sail... Or a huge wall with nowhere for that wind force to go. It's basically enclosed on three sides by huge walls. I don't profess to be an engineer... This is just me brainstorming about it. So if an engineer could chime in, that would be cool. I just can't imagine a fake rock wall literally hundreds of feet wide and tall on three sides would behave nicely against 70mph winds. ??

SoCal does get hurricanes too sometimes, rarely. They also get earthquakes, so I'm not too worried about structural integrity.

2. Rain. RSR obviously has a large portion of the ride outside. Again, in SoCal, they very rarely have to worry about that. But in O-Town, rain is much more an issue. The TT ride system doesn't play well with rain... That's been witnessed in all 3 attractions around the world that use it. It seems to me there would be MASSIVE downtimes on it, both because of lightning, but also by going 101.

Maybe both of these points are off base... I don't know. But those have always been the first two things to come to mind as I've watched it progress in DL and wondered if it might make its way to FLA.

THIS is much more interesting. I agree that rain and lightning could cause a lot of issues with the outdoor portion of the attraction.

Ignohippo

I'd be incredibly disappointed if RSR were to come to DHS if the entire CarsLand doesn't come with it. For my kids, actually walking around Radiator Springs would be more exciting than the ride. As fantastic as I'm sure it is, I would think the real appeal to CarsLand is Radiator Springs – not necessarily RSR. Maybe it's more likely a 50-50 split, but I don't think the appeal of Radiator Springs should be minimized.

While it would still be astonishingly popular, just building RSR would once again be TDO stepping over a dime to pick up a dollar. They could have a Grand Slam (and a sure win) by cloning all of Radiator Springs. Instead they'll settle for hitting a Home Run (just to keep pace).

And put me in the group that would actually rather have a less expensive unique attraction if it would mean more money could be spread out for other attractions. Cars appeals to young kids. Having a ride based on Cars that has a 40" height restriction is ridiculous. My kids would much rather drive their own car (a la Indy Speedway) anyway.

RSoxNo1

The Walt Disney Company still has eyes on expanding the geographic region from which the Disneyland Resort draws guests. The purchase of national advertising time for Cars Land was no accident. Walt Disney World still has mostly domestic guests. Building Cars Land and/or Radiator Springs, along with The Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania!, etc. only pushes the two Resorts into competition with each other. That is not a good situation.
I agree, what many of us predicted would happen (cannibalism between the two resorts) has already started. Perhaps this is TDO's greater fear over losing ground to Universal. This could also fuel their push for Carsland as opposed to something less safe. Either that or they're just devoid of any creativity and just covet things that already exist.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

How much of that 600 mill was wasted developmental related costs? We always here budgets for things like WWoHP that cost 265 million. Disney seems to be a black hole for developmental monies. With that all taken care of, maybe the budget has been majorly streamlined?

RSoxNo1

Do you guys think CA people are upset the whole front of their park was "cloned" to be just like DHS?
The entrance plaza is identical, but Buena Vista street is different than Hollywood Boulevard/Sunset Boulevard. Both are well executed, but they are different.

Having said that, I would have preferred that the entry gates for DCA were not changed to the Pan Pacific Auditorium.

Ignohippo

Oh, and I'd like to sincerely thank TDO if this happens. We have another munchkin coming in November, but a trip to Anaheim has been on our must-do list since CarsLand was announced. A trip to Cali in the next 3 years would not have been out of the question at all.

But if it's built in Florida, a trip to DL goes much farther down on the list. I can absolutely understand why Lasseter would be against this happening.

RSoxNo1

It comes down to a simple thing, value for my dollar. I can go to DL for 4 days in a year or spend about 14 or more days in WDW for roughly the same price.
The thing is, your costs aren't the same as others. For me, it's still cheaper for me to go to WDW, but that gap is getting smaller and the quality of the two resorts is changing. To that point, I'm considering an additional trip to Disneyland next year, and less trips to Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom