DHS CARS LAND

novawildcat18

Totally understand why it won't be cloned anywhere else. And I'm surprised it got built in Cars Land in the first place considering that it failed to stay operational in the past at Disneyland.

I loved the ride though. It took a little skill and coordination, but me and my friend had that thing flying across the floor and had a blast.

TP2000

It is absolutely breathtaking and the best example of placemaking at a Disney park in the USA this century. World class work.

True. When a theme park land has a nightly ceremony just to turn the lights on, and people dance and cheer in the streets while it happens, every night, you know someone did something right.

If they cut down Cars Land for the trip out to DHS, or start lopping off this shop or that restaurant, or scale back the mountains, I don't think the end result will be quite what they did at DCA. Cars Land is special, and it should be treated very carefully when TDO starts asking for a clone.

yeti

Please no Luigi's. Waited long enough for that sucker that I never intend on going on again. While lovely to look at...there really is less to it than Dumbo. And it's only worse when people waste precious minutes of their lives in hour long lineups.

RSR is fun...while I personally find it less stellar than most, there's no question it would be a huge hit at WDW. But Cadillac Range, THAT alone is what defines Cars Land as a big winner. If they skimp out on that, it's a lemon, but if they go all the way with this, I'll be a very happy camper. Don't really care if it's a clone or what have you, a success is a success, BTM is in practically every Disney around the world and no one seems to be bothered. They've done this since they first started making more theme parks as far as I can tell, they'd be stupid not to.

True. When a theme park land has a nightly ceremony just to turn the lights on, and people dance and cheer in the streets while it happens, every night, you know someone did something right.

Goosebumps...

Lee

Adventurer
@Lee, am I correct in saying that if we waited for a Star Wars area to be developed it would take substantially more time for anything to happen at DHS? And could Carsland2.0 be a Potter2.0 swatter? If construction was started on Carsland2.0 in the relatively near future, could it be built before the completion of Potter2.0 or roughly around the same time?
It will be years before they got a Star Wars ride ready to go. Cars can happen now.

CarsLand does not have the power to be a Potter swatter. Potter (the brand) is too strong, and the work over there is just too good. Cars would be a tremendous boost to DHS, though.

No way would Cars be completed before Potter. Wouldn't open until at least a year later. Just not possible. Disney doesn't move that fast.

jt04

Please no Luigi's. Waited long enough for that sucker that I never intend on going on again. While lovely to look at...there really is less to it than Dumbo. And it's only worse when people waste precious minutes of their lives in hour long lineups.

RSR is fun...while I personally find it less stellar than most, there's no question it would be a huge hit at WDW. But Cadillac Range, THAT alone is what defines Cars Land as a big winner. If they skimp out on that, it's a lemon, but if they go all the way with this, I'll be a very happy camper. Don't really care if it's a clone or what have you, a success is a success, BTM is in practically every Disney around the world and no one seems to be bothered. They've done this since they first started making more theme parks as far as I can tell, they'd be stupid not to.

Goosebumps...

Imagine though what they could do with a Carsland budget applied to a Star Wars Land.

I can easily travel to see Carsland and intend to soon. Much rather see something new for WDW.

Goofyernmost

If they cut down Cars Land for the trip out to DHS, or start lopping off this shop or that restaurant, or scale back the mountains, I don't think the end result will be quite what they did at DCA. Cars Land is special, and it should be treated very carefully when TDO starts asking for a clone.

According to the best critical minds in the world, WDW already has a head start on DCA. For one thing, I spotted not one, not two but four lightbulbs out. Not to mention that you can see the ToT from there. What's up with that? I can't wait to see the outrage when some of that neon has used up it's life. There will be a riot.

Just kidding, it's a great looking ride area. And I hope that when it does get here in WDW, it will be just as great.:)

devoy1701

I'm sure I'll live it. I got to see Soaring before they built it here and I was saying the same thing about Soaring. One thing you west coasters loved and us east coasters didn't exactly get why he west coasters loved Star Tours so much. Leading up to its opening at DHS, we kept hearing how great it was and that there were Star Tours groups and all that adding to the incredible hype it got. Naturally, east coasters were thrilled to hear that we were getting one too! The first expansion of DHS was a whole section dedicated to Star Tours. The AT-AT walker is amazing, something we thought previewed the awesomeness inside the actual ride. Well, it was okay. Fun, but not something worthy of all the hype. On top of that, they thought east coasters would live it as much as the west coasters do that they virtually copied it for EPCOT Center in the form of Body Wars in the now-borded up Health Pavilion. To this day, I wonder what west coasters find so special about it. They were right about the hype that they put into Soaring and they are probably right again with all the hype for CL... But
Star Tours, what were you thinking?! It's just a flight simulator with Star Wars music!

Just for the record...I'm an East Coaster/WDWer. WDW is my pride and joy, I grew up with these parks, have been an AP holder, and used to log about 45 days a year in them up until about 2010. My opinion of Carsland is simply that of a jealous WDWer wanting something just as great in our own parks!

SirLink

It will be years before they got a Star Wars ride ready to go. Cars can happen now.

CarsLand does not have the power to be a Potter swatter. Potter (the brand) is too strong, and the work over there is just too good. Cars would be a tremendous boost to DHS, though.

No way would Cars be completed before Potter. Wouldn't open until at least a year later. Just not possible. Disney doesn't move that fast.

Surely they have a draw full of Star Wars plans going back ....? Just take one of those and change the name and date on said proposal and resubmit?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sure.
But they don't have a recently-built, extremely popular, Star Wars ride ready to clone.

The easiest thing to do may be to clone ST2.0 and plop it down in Pixar Place.
paranoid.gif

devoy1701

According to the best critical minds in the world, WDW already has a head start on DCA. For one thing, I spotted not one, not two but four lightbulbs out. Not to mention that you can see the ToT from there. What's up with that? I can't wait to see the outrage when some of that neon has used up it's life. There will be a riot.

Just kidding, it's a great looking ride area. And I hope that when it does get here in WDW, it will be just as great.:)

I'm copying a post I put in the Disneyland section regarding stuff like this. The same "small" stuff that we complain about at WDW happens at DL too. They're not immune to it, and after my second visit to the Resort, I noticed this stuff now. I know you were kidding, but the undertone is something that a lot of the WDW fans do hone in on as a "Big Deal."

I was hoping there would be a thread like this on here. I will need to post something similar in the WDW forums, but this is a great place as well. After spending 5 days at the Disneyland resort last week, I do have a "renewed" appreciation for WDW as well. I guess with my second visit to the Disneyland Resort, I noticed that even here, in Walt's Magic Kingdom, things break, wear out, get rundown, etc...and it's not really a big deal, not even at WDW.

At Disneyland, I noticed paint and stucco on the ceiling in the queue to Splash peeling off (when someone starts, I guess everyone else just follows), lights burnt out on Main Street Marques, some of the geese in IASW not quacking, TONS of rust on the IASW show building (that building needs a serious exterior rehab), the Hats Pirate in PotC not shaking his hats like he used to, lots of chipped paint as mentioned in Toon Town, the Columbia in need of new paint job (I assume it's coming after the Mark Twain gets done). And Alice in Wonderland is truly an eye sore both from the ground AND from on the ride.

Anyway, the point is, with 16+ Million visitors every year and operations most days of 16 hours, things are going to get warn out/break, etc. I think the difference is how long things stay broken at WDW vs. DL and what makes an attraction "not show ready." These are the things that we deal with at WDW that I don't think you DLers have.

This is where our story gets "lost" as being fans of WDW. Other than the fact that there aren't as many of us diehards out there, too many think it's about the chipped paint, or the light bulbs being burnt out. That isn't the point. The problem is a lot bigger than that.

Goofyernmost

I just don't understand the righteous indignation of those against putting Carsland in Florida. Let's just look at the record off the top of my head:

MK...Other then the train, firestation and a few decorative things. There's a Castle, not the same one, but still a Castle. There's Jungle Cruise, PoTC, Tiki Room, Splash Mtn., Big Thunder Mtn., Riverboat, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Small World, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Carousel, Tea Cups, Speedway, Space Mtn., Buzz, Astro Orbiter, Under the Sea and I'm sure others.

Epcot...Soarin', Capt. EO, Turtle talk

DHS...Muppets, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Fantasmic.

DAK...ITTBAB, Kali River Rapids/Grizzly River Run

What I don't understand is the possessiveness of those that think that everything should be different. Why? Do those of you on the West Coast really, truly want an influx of East Coast people cramming into DLR? If that's not a consideration, nothing would be. Anyway, all that aside, cloning is actually more of a precedent than not. One cannot even claim purists as a reason. Sorry, just don't understand. I am tired of getting shorted on the East Coast. I will take what we can get, but couldn't we, just once get the full package and not just partial hand me downs.

jt04

I just don't understand the righteous indignation of those against putting Carsland in Florida. Let's just look at the record off the top of my head:

MK...Other then the train, firestation and a few decorative things. There's a Castle, not the same one, but still a Castle. There's Jungle Cruise, PoTC, Tiki Room, Splash Mtn., Big Thunder Mtn., Riverboat, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Small World, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Carousel, Tea Cups, Speedway, Space Mtn., Buzz, Astro Orbiter, Under the Sea and I'm sure others.

What I don't understand is the possessiveness of those that think that everything should be different. Why? Do those of you on the West Coast really, truly want an influx of East Coast people cramming into DLR? If that's not a consideration, nothing would be. Anyway, all that aside, cloning is actually more of a precedent than not. One cannot even claim purists as a reason. Sorry, just don't understand. I am tired of getting shorted on the East Coast. I will take what we can get, but couldn't we, just once get the full package and not just partial hand me downs.

No, I don't think you can but for a reason people choose not to discuss. The costs would be substantially more in Florida because of the need for deeper foundation work. It is even possible cloning Carsland in Florida would be impossible.

You will get Star Wars (someday) and you will like it.

devoy1701

MK...Other then the train, firestation and a few decorative things. There's a Castle, not the same one, but still a Castle. There's Jungle Cruise (different, no indoor scene in DL, they have Paranas too), PoTC (much different, much longer at DL with a whole different beginning/ending), Tiki Room (Different, longer, more original at DL), Splash Mtn. (different style log flume, i would argue better/more comfortable at WDW if all elements were working), Big Thunder Mtn. (also different, though it was under rehab when I was there so the differences are fresh in my mind), Riverboat (different river, different scenes, also there is the Sailing Ship Columbia which is a different experience altogether), Haunted Mansion (different, more realistic exterior, mostly same ride though), Peter Pan (Different and MUCH better Neverland scene at DL), Small World (Completely different!), Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Carousel, Tea Cups (Smaller/more intimate at DL with much better atmosphere), Speedway (so many differences I can't even begin to compare), Space Mtn. (Only similar in name and concept..completely different in execution), Buzz, Astro Orbiter, Under the Sea and I'm sure others.

DHS...Muppets, Star Tours, Tower of Terror (mildly different theming, much differnt ride experience), Toy Story Mania, Fantasmic (far far FAR superior at Disneyland, from setting, the special effects, using the Columbia, awesome dragon, etc).

DAK...ITTBAB, Kali River Rapids/Grizzly River Run (you're really comparing these two???)

Yes you're right that there are a lot similar experiences between the parks, but most are still unique to the resorts and have personal touches where you still get a sense of a different attraction when riding both. But it's only been in the last decade or so that we've been getting the short end of the stick when it comes to clones (maybe with the exception of PotC and Fantasmic (though most of the Fantasmic differences are because TDO hasn't been willing to upgrade the show)). I would like something unique for DHS, something to call our own and to give me a reason to experience ours but also still experience theirs. But at the least, I want just as good of a Carsland Clone and not just RSR put in a huge Soundstage building because they can get away with it because of our "working studio theme."

Goofyernmost

No, I don't think you can but for a reason people choose not to discuss. The costs would be substantially more in Florida because of the need for deeper foundation work. It is even possible cloning Carsland in Florida would be impossible.

You will get Star Wars (someday) and you will like it.
Walt was one of the first people that bought into that "I'd like to sell you some swamp land in Florida" syndrome! What was he thinking? Those TV commercials in the 60's were certainly enticing. My Father bought two lots near Daytona back then, sight unseen. He got lucky and they were just about the only two that were actually dry. :)
Never were worth much though. It was a huge 20K unit development that never got past 200. His lots were 10 miles back from the entrance. It was only paved for the first two miles.

SirLink

That is my biggest problem - people wanting what the other coast has - instead of doing something different...most companies should create two separate identities for their resorts...to give west coasters and east coasters the ambition to visit the other resorts ... and I say this as a Brit.

International resorts are a different beast though...

Goofyernmost

Yes you're right that there are a lot similar experiences between the parks, but most are still unique to the resorts and have personal touches where you still get a sense of a different attraction when riding both. But it's only been in the last decade or so that we've been getting the short end of the stick when it comes to clones (maybe with the exception of PotC and Fantasmic (though most of the Fantasmic differences are because TDO hasn't been willing to upgrade the show)). I would like something unique for DHS, something to call our own and to give me a reason to experience ours but also still experience theirs. But at the least, I want just as good of a Carsland Clone and not just RSR put in a huge Soundstage building because they can get away with it because of our "working studio theme."
I already stated that we got the altered hand me downs. However, now matter how much you try and spin it, they are all basically the same attractions with almost identical experiences. Clones all the way with slightly different personalities. My point is that it doesn't really matter or alter the experience if it is located in more than one place. It shouldn't even be a discussion unless the discussion is something along the lines of whether it is worth the effort or not.

I made the pilgrimage to DL in 05. I noticed the difference between the same named attraction in DL as WDW. I didn't, however, go for that reason. I went because it was DISNEYLAND. The park where it all started and that is still used, to this day, almost 60 years later, as the example of how it should be done. That was my draw to the West Coast, not a specific ride. Attractions were just the things to do while I was there.

lazyboy97o

It's a reaction to the general direction of Disney and their increasing homogenization. The widespread nature of cloning is representative of the larger creative decline of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. In the past, even if attractions were similar, the overall experiences were still quite different. Now the focus is more on synergy of brands and attractions. This then gets combined with unique merchandise and food being reduced. Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World being sold as merely DisneyParks. And now cloned attractions being more and more identical in their experience. There is also a lack of creativity in this approach. It's building a module and then plopping it down around the world. Even with the repeated attractions for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris, they were upgraded and changed up (Tokyo Disneyland was a different case, as the owners insisted on near identical copies despite Disney's proposals to do otherwise).

You also complain about others being selfish and possessive, while being just as selfish. You want the clone because that's the way you get it.

devoy1701

I already stated that we got the altered hand me downs. However, now matter how much you try and spin it, they are all basically the same attractions with almost identical experiences. Clones all the way with slightly different personalities. My point is that it doesn't really matter or alter the experience if it is located in more than one place. It shouldn't even be a discussion unless the discussion is something along the lines of whether it is worth the effort or not.

I made the pilgrimage to DL in 05. I noticed the difference between the same named attraction in DL as WDW. I didn't, however, go for that reason. I went because it was DISNEYLAND. The park where it all started and that is still used, to this day, almost 60 years later, as the example of how it should be done. That was my draw to the West Coast, not a specific ride. Attractions were just the things to do while I was there.

I guess I missed the point you were trying to make (lazyboy here did a good job reiterating where I was going with it). I too want unique experiences, and would prefer something different than just a clone of Carsland, but even if we got a Carsland, I want a full on land, with some subtle differences between the two resorts, not just a direct clone. The only way I would want a direct clone is if we got the whole dang land, no expense or detail spared (save for an altered Luigi's)...I don't want to see them just drop RSR into our park and "theme" it to be part of Pixar Place. It's amazing how much sense Toy Story Midway Mania makes while being on the MIDWAY of Paradise Pier, and not just slapped in a Soundstage in the back of DHS. Or how Soarin' over California makes more sense not only in a California theme park, but in a land themed to the aviation history of the state as well, with a queue that ALSO tips its hat to the states rich aviation history.

It's a reaction to the general direction of Disney and their increasing homogenization. The widespread nature of cloning is representative of the larger creative decline of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. In the past, even if attractions were similar, the overall experiences were still quite different. Now the focus is more on synergy of brands and attractions. This then gets combined with unique merchandise and food being reduced. Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World being sold as merely DisneyParks. And now cloned attractions being more and more identical in their experience. There is also a lack of creativity in this approach. It's building a module and then plopping it down around the world. Even with the repeated attractions for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris, they were upgraded and changed up (Tokyo Disneyland was a different case, as the owners insisted on near identical copies despite Disney's proposals to do otherwise).

You also complain about others being selfish and possessive, while being just as selfish. You want the clone because that's the way you get it.

Right. People always say "well don't we have the same rides here in Orlando?" Well yes, but the experiences are still different, and those subtle differences that we used to get with some of the older attractions are very rewarding...such as our surprise with the Neverland scene on DL's Peter Pan, or the Paranas on their Jungle Cruise, or our intimate experience with Space Mountain when you sit in the very front seat on the train. Sharing R&D costs while still delivering different experiences is one thing, but this new "why build one when we can build 2" philosophy is unfortunate...especially because of TDO's tendency to go "well we don't need all of that..."

Goofyernmost

Your last paragraph has me puzzled. How am I selfish when I don't have it? I'd be selfish if I wanted everything in WDW to be uniquely WDW and I forced others to go someplace here to see it cause, well that's why they invented planes. A selfish person is one that doesn't want to share. I will gladly share our lack of new, to us, stuff with anyone that wants it. Any takers?
I guess I missed the point you were trying to make (lazyboy here did a good job reiterating where I was going with it). I too want unique experiences, and would prefer something different than just a clone of Carsland, but even if we got a Carsland, I want a full on land, with some subtle differences between the two resorts, not just a direct clone. The only way I would want a direct clone is if we got the whole dang land, no expense or detail spared (save for an altered Luigi's)...I don't want to see them just drop RSR into our park and "theme" it to be part of Pixar Place. It's amazing how much sense Toy Story Midway Mania makes while being on the MIDWAY of Paradise Pier, and not just slapped in a Soundstage in the back of DHS. Or how Soarin' over California makes more sense not only in a California theme park, but in a land themed to the aviation history of the state as well, with a queue that ALSO tips its hat to the states rich aviation history.

Right. People always say "well don't we have the same rides here in Orlando?" Well yes, but the experiences are still different, and those subtle differences that we used to get with some of the older attractions are very rewarding...such as our surprise with the Neverland scene on DL's Peter Pan, or the Paranas on their Jungle Cruise, or our intimate experience with Space Mountain when you sit in the very front seat on the train. Sharing R&D costs while still delivering different experiences is one thing, but this new "why build one when we can build 2" philosophy is unfortunate...especially because of TDO's tendency to go "well we don't need all of that..."

It the case of homogenization, Disney is the victim of it's own growth. To establish NEW, top level rides in a single park might indeed draw people from other parks to see it, but it depends greatly on location. They can put all kinds of new things in Tokyo or China because the population is going to support it. To not share high popularity attractions tends to draw people away from the other parks to go to one specific park. Why would any business what to do that. As much as I am somewhat jealous of some of the things that those parks in Europe and Asia have, I am not going to hop on a plane and go there to experience it. There is no real threat to North American parks that they will lose customers to those more exotic locations. However, if we just dismiss those people that cannot or will not make the trip to DL or WDW for one basic attraction, then there is not reason other then possessiveness for anyone to care.

Mickey_777

I wasn't blown away by Carsland. It's great and very photogenic (took lots of pics) but I personally found it difficult to look past ToT "towering" over the land to the west when looking toward the courthouse and Grizzly Peak when looking back. Those sorta killed the illusion for me. I understand there is nothing they can do about it but still...

The car size scale of the props in the store windows (for example) isn't to me liking either. Huge plastic looking cans of motor oil with little detail on them didn't impress me. I like the use of the props in certain places, especially in Docs portion of Flo's, but the scale is so large and plastic. I loved my caramel french toast at Flo's by the way. Highly recommended.

The personal value I give the land isn't all that high in terms what there was for me to do there. To me, since flat rides are not my thing, Carsland is an E-ticket plus multiple stores selling identical merchandise and a few places to eat. Prior to visiting, I didn't think a Cars-clone would be a good idea for WDW based on my desire to see it exclusive to DCA. After experiencing RSR's, I wouldn't mind now. That ride is very, very fun. Love the racing aspect of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom