DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

So, my big question is: if indeed Cars Land (or some variation thereof) is coming to DHS, when does construction begin? Presumably, it would be announced officially at D23, but is it unreasonable to hope/expect that construction would begin much sooner than that? It would seem silly to wait until August when they could begin work and complete it earlier -- heck, I don't really understand why construction didn't start last fall! What are they waiting for?

devoy1701

You should see it in person. And then again at night. And from the various perspectives you get throughout Cars Land.
It looks amazing enough in pictures, I can't imagine how good it looks in real life

Carsland is a truly different (and equally beautiful) land at night. The place has such a different vibe with all of that neon. Another "well done" in my book. We were able to experience Radiator Springs Racers twice (with FP both times) and Luigi's Flying Tires once. Both are fantastic attractions (the Disney buff in my loves that they chose to bring back the flying saucers!), though I can see (and did see numerous times) the problems that the Tires cause with operations. I have to say though at one point on our ride we had a clear shot from one side of the rink to the other...and MAN did my wife and I get some serious speed on those tires!

Anyway. Aside from the attractions, the Land gives off such a fantastic vibe, you just want to be there...to stand on Route 66, to hang out at Flo's V8 Cafe (for breakfast and dinner), to go through Sarge's Surplus Store a half dozen times, to get another snack at the Cozy Cone...you just want to hang out there, to soak up as much as you can...the energy they've created feeds through the excitement of the crowd...through the children who see their favorite characters literally driving themselves down the streets and interacting with them! And then the sun goes down, the neon turns on, the car dance party starts (I don't know the name of that Car that hosts the party) and the suck you back in again!

Guys, I'm not kidding, Carsland is THAT good...that immersive. If you're a Disney fan and a WDW it TRULY warrants a trip out west to see! And when you experience it, you'll want something just as good! Hopefully you also appreciate the desire to be "unique" like I do...I don't want a CARSLAND...but I want our own "CARSLAND" and I want it soon. I want to have that much excitement again when visiting WDW.

Festivus

Was at DLR over Christmas and New Years. DCA is a GREAT park, absolutely beautiful to walk around. Carsland is perfect, WOC is excellent but flawed in that its a little too long and there is no seating. Minor complaints aside, if and when the Orlando bosses update DHS, DCA should be the template they use to fix it.

G00fyDad

So, my big question is: if indeed Cars Land (or some variation thereof) is coming to DHS, when does construction begin? Presumably, it would be announced officially at D23, but is it unreasonable to hope/expect that construction would begin much sooner than that? It would seem silly to wait until August when they could begin work and complete it earlier -- heck, I don't really understand why construction didn't start last fall! What are they waiting for?

I'd expect construction to start (IF they are even going to do Carsland) next Spring. But that is a totally wild shot in the dark from me based on Disney waiting until D23 to make the announcement in August, then they will not start anything during the Christmas holidays. So that leaves Spring 2014.

devoy1701

You should see it in person. And then again at night. And from the various perspectives you get throughout Cars Land.
It looks amazing enough in pictures, I can't imagine how good it looks in real life
Carsland is a truly different (and equally beautiful) land at night. The place has such a different vibe with all of that neon. Another "well done" in my book. We were able to experience Radiator Springs Racers twice (with FP both times) and Luigi's Flying Tires once. Both are fantastic attractions (the Disney buff in my loves that they chose to bring back the flying saucers!), though I can see (and did see numerous times) the problems that the Tires cause with operations. I have to say though at one point on our ride we had a clear shot from one side of the rink to the other...and MAN did my wife and I get some serious speed on those tires!

Anyway. Aside from the attractions, the Land gives off such a fantastic vibe, you just want to be there...to stand on Route 66, to hang out at Flo's V8 Cafe (for breakfast and dinner), to go through Sarge's Surplus Store a half dozen times, to get another snack at the Cozy Cone (a Cone-coction, or something Cone Queso)...you just want to hang out there, to soak up as much as you can...the energy they've created feeds through the excitement of the crowd...through the children who see their favorite characters literally driving themselves down the streets and interacting with them! And then the sun goes down, the neon turns on, the car dance party starts (I don't know the name of that Car that hosts the party) and the suck you back in again!

Guys, I'm not kidding, Carsland is THAT good...that immersive. If you're a Disney fan and a WDW fan, it TRULY warrants a trip out west to see! And when you experience it, you'll want something just as good! Hopefully you also appreciate the desire to be "unique" like I do...I don't want a CARSLAND...but I want our own "CARSLAND" and I want it soon. I want to have that much excitement again when visiting WDW.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'd expect construction to start (IF they are even going to do Carsland) next Spring. But that is a totally wild shot in the dark from me based on Disney waiting until D23 to make the announcement in August, then they will not start anything during the Christmas holidays. So that leaves Spring 2014.
Which would probably mean Summer of 2017 for an opening date.

TP2000

Mater's has even more value in DHS than it does in DCA tho.. since DHS is lacking in actual rides that are suitable for the little folks in the crowd.

Exactly. And why I can't imagine building a Cars Land at DHS with only one ride; Radiator Springs Racers.

Just before Cars Land opened in 2012, DCA already had 17 rides (not shows or theaters) in the park, and 10 of those had no height requirement. In 2013, now that the Extreme Makeover is complete, DCA has 21 rides in the park, plus 8 theater shows and several walk-through exhibits or interactive playgrounds, for a total of 33 "Attractions". 21 of those attractions involve getting in a ride vehicle and traveling somewhere, and 13 of them have no height requirement.

Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2013 has 6 rides. Only 3 of those rides at DHS have no height requirement; Midway Mania, Backlot Tram Tour, and Great Movie Ride. There are 11 theater shows at DHS, plus a couple of walk-through exhibits and an interactive playground, for a total of 20 "Attractions". But only 6 of those attractions involve getting in a ride vehicle and traveling somewhere.

DCA: 33 Attractions - 21 Rides, 12 theaters or interactives
DHS: 20 Attractions - 6 Rides, 14 theaters or interactives

DHS desperately needs rides. And it would help if they had more stuff without height requirements, like Luigi's and Mater's. If they build Cars Land in DHS, let's hope they don't cheap out and only build it with one new ride.

jt04

Exactly. And why I can't imagine building a Cars Land at DHS with only one ride; Radiator Springs Racers.

Just before Cars Land opened in 2012, DCA already had 17 rides (not shows or theaters) in the park, and 10 of those had no height requirement. In 2013, now that the Extreme Makeover is complete, DCA has 21 rides in the park, plus 8 theater shows and several walk-through exhibits or interactive playgrounds, for a total of 33 "Attractions". 21 of those attractions involve getting in a ride vehicle and traveling somewhere.

Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2012 in 2013 has 6 rides. Only 3 of those rides at DHS have no height requirement; Midway Mania, Backlot Tram Tour, and Great Movie Ride. There are 11 theater shows at DHS, plus a couple of walk-through exhibits and an interactive playground, for a total of 20 "Attractions". But only 6 of those attractions involve getting in a ride vehicle and traveling somewhere.

DHS desperately needs rides. And it would help if they had more stuff without height requirements, like Luigi's and Mater's. If they build Cars Land in DHS, let's hope they don't cheap out and only build it with one new ride.

Or perhaps they will do a U-Turn and reimagine something completely different for the franchise. Clones make sense but not so much in the same country. IMO.

doctornick

Yes, this. I don't care if such rides actually are clones of Luigi's and Mater's (would prefer they not be ideally) but they definitely need more rides in DHS, especially ones that people of all ages can enjoy.

I've said before that making Luigi's into a teacups ride, for example, would be easy and allow for some differentiation at DHS compared to DCA's Cars Land while increasing the all ages ride count.

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that this expansion in DHS is presumably taking away one of the 6 actual rides in the park (one of the all ages ones, no less).

Genie of the Lamp

I wonder if a version of Carsland comes to DHS, is it possible they might include more references/details to Cars 2 as opposed to DCA which mainly composes references/details to Cars 1. I don't remember specifically who posted it, but I remember someone mentioning the possibly of doing an RSR caliber ride only themed to a "Race around the World" type vibe where you would race through Tokyo, Portocorsa (Portofina in reality), and the other race sites in that film. That would be cool. Although, I'll have my expectations/standards set for a Al Lutz reported Carsland minus Luigi's.

Turtle

Carsland 2.0 can have Ramone's Paint Shop similar to Goofy's Paint N Playhouse, a drive-in theater (from Cars 2) with maybe shorts constantly playing or a restaurant if Sci-Fi is taken away, a "Wheel Well Motel" facade in the Canyon, and a signature drink themed to Fillmore.

Ignohippo

I wonder if a version of Carsland comes to DHS, is it possible they might include more references/details to Cars 2 as opposed to DCA which mainly composes references/details to Cars 1. I don't remember specifically who posted it, but I remember someone mentioning the possibly of doing an RSR caliber ride only themed to a "Race around the World" type vibe where you would race through Tokyo, Portocorsa (Portofina in reality), and the other race sites in that film. That would be cool. Although, I'll have my expectations/standards set for a Al Lutz reported Carsland minus Luigi's.

I believe that was me, however I was referring to it being a ride more like the Speedway (where kids drive the cars themselves from country to country). It would be a unique attraction, would free up the Speedway land at MK, and the cost savings would allow more funds for more attractions and an expansion of Pixar Place.

It would also make it unnecessary to build Radiator Springs (although Radiator Springs would be the thing I'd look the most forward to if DHS were to get a Cars expansion - I could honestly care less about RSR comparatively). If they decide to build RSR and not RS, I'd rather they not build the mountains and retheme RSR to Cars 2.

Ignohippo

If their intention is to expand the park to the east (and the closing of the back entrance would point in that direction), I'd think wetlands reclamation would start almost immediately.

I imagine they'll start surveying and land clearing months before they announce anything (if a major DHS expansion is coming (Star Wars, etc.), not necessarily for CarsLand).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom