DHS CARS LAND

SirLink

From what I gather, there's an awful lot of stalling and finger pointing but no one to take the blame or the fall, no one to acknowledge actually what is wrong, and no clear cut route out of the mess they're in.

To quote Dara O'Briain: "Right now I would take homeopaths [TDO, Iger, Staggs, JR and WDI] and I'd put them in a big sack ... And I'd close the top of the sack with string, and I'd hit them all with sticks. And I really wouldn't be bothered who got the worst of the belt of the sticks.

the.dreamfinder

This is all about to change. In about five years nobody will recognize the upper lot of USH. There are MANY new things planned for USH and Comcast has commited a ton of money to make it happen.

moneyTruck.jpg
moneyTruck.jpg
moneyTruck.jpg

WDWFanDave

From what I gather, there's an awful lot of stalling and finger pointing but no one to take the blame or the fall, no one to acknowledge actually what is wrong, and no clear cut route out of the mess they're in.

So disappointing...when if they would just CHOOSE to get back to the basics that made us all fall in love with the place originally, they might actually find some joy themselves in returning the shine and splendor while moving forward with things that will pull us back over and over and over again. If someone there could just realize that we would happily open our wallets in support, and even deal with the NextGen crap that we're now all on the hook for financially (someone has to pay for it, and anyone that walks through the gate or spends a night there will be a contributor), if they would just get their heads on straight and get things moving. And moving rapidly. Someone to stand up and rally the troops to action. Not sure who that is, but it sure seems like there's no one there to do the job.

Disneyhead'71

Good thing WDW has plenty of busses they can throw each other under!

Hey Marni, is there any truth to the new rumor that, while EVERYONE on both coasts knows they are about to get kicked in the teeth once again by the boy who lived, with the now close to $2B price tag of NextGen, they HAVE to wait to see how big a train wreck NextGen is, before anymore CapEx will be approved for other projects?
Wouldn't that just compound the problems? Seems to me that regardless of what happens with NextGen, waiting to build traffic generating attractions would to be a really, REALLY bad thing for not only the bottom line, but WDW brand.

jakeman

Because they weren't promised - only rumored... don't rewrite history.
Planned and promised are two different things. Disney planned a lot of things for FLE too, not all of them made them to fruition. Everything that was promised though, has been delivered to some extent.

Uni though, didn't really provide much detail on WWoHP prior to its opening, therefore very little was promised that they did not deliver on. I think the same will be true of Potter 2.0.

You can't really over-promise and under-deliver if you aren't constantly feeding tidbits about an expansion to drooling fanbois like Disney does.
Kind of like the Space Mountain refurb that had no promises, right?

How did that turn out for Disney?

RSoxNo1

I hope you realize that there is so much more to Universal Studios Hollywood than the rides and attractions. I've never been, but those seem like a bonus to the Studio Tour. What's cool about that park is that it's still a real, working movie studio. And if you appreciate cinema, it probably seems like the holy grail.

I do agree that it seems Universal Studios Florida trumps Universal Studios Hollywood in terms of a theme park. Here, Universal Studios Florida is much bigger, have actual themed lands, more attractions, etc. And here in Florida, Universal Orlando is two theme parks, 3 hotels, CityWalk, etc. It just seems unfair to compare Universal Studios Hollywood to Universal Orlando Resort. And also unfair to compare it to Disneyland Resort, which is more of a vacation destination than Universal Studios Hollywood.
I highlighted a key point to your post. I think outside of the Tram tour the attraction lineup is weak and bettered by it's Florida counterpart. The attraction lineups in Florida are better and for me, the Hollywood park is an example of how homogenization of attractions (cloning) makes the lesser park seem very stale. It's just my opinion, but the tour isn't enough to get me in the door again anytime soon. If Transformers wasn't coming to Florida this year that probably would have brought me over there but it's being cloned in Florida so I'll just wait and enjoy it in a park I think is better.

RSoxNo1

This is all about to change. In about five years nobody will recognize the upper lot of USH. There are MANY new things planned for USH and Comcast has commited a ton of money to make it happen.
Good, while cloning is going on recently at Universal (Transformers, Potter, Simpsons), I appreciate the aggressive build cycles.

lazyboy97o

I highlighted a key point to your post. I think outside of the Tram tour the attraction lineup is weak and bettered by it's Florida counterpart. The attraction lineups in Florida are better and for me, the Hollywood park is an example of how homogenization of attractions (cloning) makes the lesser park seem very stale. It's just my opinion, but the tour isn't enough to get me in the door again anytime soon. If Transformers wasn't coming to Florida this year that probably would have brought me over there but it's being cloned in Florida so I'll just wait and enjoy it in a park I think is better.
I think this could explain some of the hesitation regarding the possibility of Cars Land being built at the Disney-MGM Studios. The park is full of clones and in disarray, more clones just comes across as throwing in more scraps than actually giving the park some thought.

doctornick

I think this could explain some of the hesitation regarding the possibility of Cars Land being built at the Disney-MGM Studios. The park is full of clones and in disarray, more clones just comes across as throwing in more scraps than actually giving the park some thought.

Valid point, but there RnR and the Great Movie ride aren't clones, at least. I think it brings up a good point that any expansion needs to include some unique offerings, but at a minimum the Monster's Inc Door coaster would be that.

lazyboy97o

Valid point, but there RnR and the Great Movie ride aren't clones, at least. I think it brings up a good point that any expansion needs to include some unique offerings, but at a minimum the Monster's Inc Door coaster would be that.
True, but The Great Movie Ride and the Backlot Tram Tour are the only rides which cannot be experienced in another Disney theme park. Yes, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock 'n Rollercoaster are the originals and there are differences between the clones, but I still think it's far too much for a park that is hard to actually described.

That said, I also really dislike the whole premise of Pixar Place. I think its incredibly lazy and reeks of Disney's current creative deficiencies.

BryceM

True, but The Great Movie Ride and the Backlot Tram Tour are the only rides which cannot be experienced in another Disney theme park. Yes, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock 'n Rollercoaster are the originals and there are differences between the clones, but I still think it's far too much for a park that is hard to actually described.

That said, I also really dislike the whole premise of Pixar Place. I think its incredibly lazy and reeks of Disney's current creative deficiencies.
Technically Backlot Tour is also at Walt Disney Studios Paris... :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I completely forgot about that even sorrier excuse for a backlot tour, so that leaves just the one ride. One ride not available in another theme park at a place that charges $90 to enter.

This is a Disney issue in general. How many rides are left at Disneyland that haven't been cloned somewhere in the world?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Good thing WDW has plenty of busses they can throw each other under!

Hey Marni, is there any truth to the new rumor that, while EVERYONE on both coasts knows they are about to get kicked in the teeth once again by the boy who lived, with the now close to $2B price tag of NextGen, they HAVE to wait to see how big a train wreck NextGen is, before anymore CapEx will be approved for other projects?
Wouldn't that just compound the problems? Seems to me that regardless of what happens with NextGen, waiting to build traffic generating attractions would to be a really, REALLY bad thing for not only the bottom line, but WDW brand.
I couldn't possibly say. What I would say is there are plenty of suits who still think NextGen to be the saviour, of both their parks and of their promotions.

But then it was a great idea to save $7million and remove the banked turns for Rocket Rods...

Fantasmic

I completely forgot about that even sorrier excuse for a backlot tour, so that leaves just the one ride. One ride not available in another theme park at a place that charges $90 to enter.
Yeah, but the Little Mermaid show, BATB show, Indy Show and American Idol Show are all attractions you can't see at any other Disney Park so .... there's that. It's not all about rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom