DHS CARS LAND

MattM

Disney Park in Florida was what I thought this bet was about, either way, I donate money to the Make a Wish Foundation once a month, so no big deal if you choose to chicken out.

But, if your willing, I would make the same wager for any Disney World park against IOA for one full year after Potter phase 2 opens. No way IOA beats any Disney Park even with Potter 2.

Thats one full year, and I would even be willing to start with a full quarter for IOA, meaning if Potter 2 opens in a May, which would be the second month of a quarter, I would forsake that quarter and start with a full 4 months, meaning the next quarter just to have every single day of the year count.

I hope that makes sense.

Jimmy Thick- Always ahead of the game.

I noticed you reply to every post directed towards you. Did you overlook mine? Or do you not acknowledge posts that point you to information that kinda makes you look silly since you think Disney isn't concerned about whats going on up I-4?

MattM - The devil isn't really in the details, its pretty easy to find, actually.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland is the No.2 theme park in the world attendance wise(Second only to MK). DCA is 7th, and USH is 10th.
So USH is not living up to it's competitors, and lacks the themeing that USF and IOA have. The sign is just another Disney attempt to let it's competitors know they are still No.1

You see more special effect scenes on the studio tour than actual movie sets. Therefore it is more of a special effects show

Attendance records courtesy of http://www.coastergrotto.com/theme-park-attendance.jsp

I'm not saying USH is beating Disneyland, but they're not doing bad for a park with only four rides, and they put the theme park part second to shooting movies and television shows on the lot.

Not true. Let's see the amount of sets versus the number of special effects parts during the tour. We won't count the closed sets, since we can't see anything inside.

Set of Bruce Almighty, along with all the other movies/shows/music videos that aren't even mentioned the set was used for.

Courthouse Square, aka the set of Back to the Future/Ghost Whisperer/everything else it's used for that's not mentioned.

New York Street, used for many films like Captain America, Spider-Man, etc..

The London/European set

King Kong set

Creature from the Black Lagoon set

Old Mexico set/Big Fat Liar set

How the Grinch Stole Christmas set

Psycho set (the original)

Desperate Housewives set

Murder She Wrote set

Jaws set

Old Western towns set

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift set

An episode of Bones set

War of the Worlds set

The huge blue/green screen set

Not to mention the really cool cars you get to see from a whole bunch of movies, like Back to the Future and The Little rascals.

Jurassic Park set

Total: About 19

Special effects:

King Kong 360

Jaws

Flood scene from Big Fat Liar

Bones

Curse of the Mummy Tomb

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Total: About 6

The sets completely outmatch the number of special effects you see. When was the last time you took the tour?

BryceM

DLR is a whole other ball game, their biggest competitor is Universal Hollywood, which, to put it bluntly, sucks...
I'm with him - I'm not a fan of Universal Hollywood. If we were to line up the 6 domestic Disney parks, and the 3 domestic Universal parks I would put Universal Hollywood 9th.
I hope you realize that there is so much more to Universal Studios Hollywood than the rides and attractions. I've never been, but those seem like a bonus to the Studio Tour. What's cool about that park is that it's still a real, working movie studio. And if you appreciate cinema, it probably seems like the holy grail.

I do agree that it seems Universal Studios Florida trumps Universal Studios Hollywood in terms of a theme park. Here, Universal Studios Florida is much bigger, have actual themed lands, more attractions, etc. And here in Florida, Universal Orlando is two theme parks, 3 hotels, CityWalk, etc. It just seems unfair to compare Universal Studios Hollywood to Universal Orlando Resort. And also unfair to compare it to Disneyland Resort, which is more of a vacation destination than Universal Studios Hollywood.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I hope you realize that there is so much more to Universal Studios Hollywood than the rides and attractions. I've never been, but those seem like a bonus to the Studio Tour. What's cool about that park is that it's still a real, working movie studio. And if you appreciate cinema, it probably seems like the holy grail.

I do agree that it seems Universal Studios Florida trumps Universal Studios Hollywood in terms of a theme park. Here, Universal Studios Florida is much bigger, have actual themed lands, more attractions, etc. And here in Florida, Universal Orlando is two theme parks, 3 hotels, CityWalk, etc. It just seems unfair to compare Universal Studios Hollywood to Universal Orlando Resort. And also unfair to compare it to Disneyland Resort, which is more of a vacation destination than Universal Studios Hollywood.

You are correct, I very much enjoyed the studio part of USH, but the predominance of cut n paste attractions, layout and limited themeing does affect the repeatability of the place as a theme park. Horror nights may edge USF too.

BryceM

You are correct, I very much enjoyed the studio part of USH, but the predominance of cut n paste attractions, layout and limited themeing does affect the repeatability of the place as a theme park. Horror nights may edge USF too.
Their Jurassic Park: River Adventure looks a little bit better than ours too. Maybe not the finale though.

Does Universal Studios Hollywood have New York, San Francisco and Hollywood like we do?

tirian

So when it's all said and done, USH gets Potter; USO gets more Potter, Transformers, and a Jurassic expansion; and WDW gets the ability to book Fastpasses in advance. Cars Land might be fully approved. Avatarland still plods forward.

At least WDI has been testing singing plants at Animal Kingdom. Touch the leaves and the electronic sensors plink different musical sounds. The technology is pretty cool, although the same tech could be demonstrated in a revamped Imagination pavilion.

BryceM

So when it's all said and done, USH gets Potter; USO gets more Potter, Transformers, and a Jurassic expansion; and WDW gets the ability to book Fastpasses in advance. Cars Land might be fully approved. Avatarland still plods forward.
You forgot the Simpsons expansion! ;) And is a full Cars Land in the works, or a Pixar Place expansion with Radiator Springs Racers, Monsters Inc. Coaster, etc.?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Their Jurassic Park: River Adventure looks a little bit better than ours too. Maybe not the finale though.

Does Universal Studios Hollywood have New York, San Francisco and Hollywood like we do?

It has various street "lots" that can be used as various locations world wide and the big tank/blue screen area, I remember being dissapointed at the Simpsons and Mummy. Transformers hadnt opened but Kong was good.

Californian Elitist

It's a little difficult to understand what USH looks like, if you've never been. We don't have lands, really. It's random. Remember it's a studio first. They decided to add in a few attractions in the sixties, but their emphasis has always been about filming schedules. I believe it's the biggest studio lot and it's used for so many things. We have a New York set and other place sets, like Europe, London, Mexico, etc.. But it's all on the lot. I hope you understand what I'm saying. The theme park aspect will always come second. It's not first priority.

tirian

You forgot the Simpsons expansion! ;) And is a full Cars Land in the works, or a Pixar Place expansion with Radiator Springs Racers, Monsters Inc. Coaster, etc.?
Nothing has been decided yet, except that Luigi's flying tires will not be replicated. Don't worry; you're not missing anything. :)

BryceM

It's a little difficult to understand what USH looks like, if you've never been. We don't have lands, really. It's random. Remember it's a studio first. They decided to add in a few attractions in the sixties, but their emphasis has always been about filming schedules. I believe it's the biggest studio lot and it's used for so many things. We have a New York set and other place sets, like Europe, London, Mexico, etc.. But it's all on the lot. I hope you understand what I'm saying. The theme park aspect will always come second. It's not first priority.
I understand. I also understand that's it is divided into the Lower Lot and the Upper Lot. It is really neat looking how it is placed on a mountain, and there is the escalators (or stairs) that transport you between the two lots. Does sound very different from Universal Studios Florida, where our lands surround a central lake (like a more traditional theme park). I was just asking because my favorite part of Universal Studios Florida is New York. It's so realistic and there are little alleyways to explore, shops to go into, Revenge of the Mummy, and even looking into the windows is a treat because its all just so well detailed. Much better than that "Streets of America" over at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Californian Elitist

I understand. I also understand that's it is divided into the Lower Lot and the Upper Lot. It is really neat looking how it is placed on a mountain, and there is the escalators (or stairs) that transport you between the two lots. Does sound very different from Universal Studios Florida, where our lands surround a central lake (like a more traditional theme park). I was just asking because my favorite part of Universal Studios Florida is New York. It's so realistic and there are little alleyways to explore, shops to go into, Revenge of the Mummy, and even looking into the windows is a treat because its all just so well detailed. Much better than that "Streets of America" over at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Since you like New York so much, I found a video of the New York Street set from USH:

whylightbulb

Original Poster
I'm with him - I'm not a fan of Universal Hollywood. If we were to line up the 6 domestic Disney parks, and the 3 domestic Universal parks I would put Universal Hollywood 9th.
This is all about to change. In about five years nobody will recognize the upper lot of USH. There are MANY new things planned for USH and Comcast has commited a ton of money to make it happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So then why are they acting like Gollum and protecting their bonus' when they have more important issues to address in each park, individually, and the resort overall.
From what I gather, there's an awful lot of stalling and finger pointing but no one to take the blame or the fall, no one to acknowledge actually what is wrong, and no clear cut route out of the mess they're in.

Fantasmic

What I don't understand is why people are getting to y about cloning Carsland when WDW and DL are full of attractions that are cloned back and forth... it's what Disney does!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom