DHS CARS LAND

BryceM

Potter 2 isn't going to make either Orlando UNI park surpass any of the four WDW parks.
I kind of see what you're saying. Potter phase 2 is simply the London side of story, which isn't as recognizable. People want Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, and they got it. I don't see the general person who has only seen the movies jumping out of their seat to visit Diagon Alley and Gringotts. Maybe the die-hard Potter, but not the average person.

However, there is that incredible new E-Ticket called The Hogwarts Express that will give guests the chance to ride from Platform 9 3/4 all the way to Hogwarts. It's many people's dream to do that and I see this attraction being the biggest draw. Factor in Transformers: The Ride and the Simpsons expansion, I do see a spike in the attendance of Universal Studios Florida. But not enough to surpass one of the four Disney parks. I do think Universal's Islands of Adventure has a good chance to surpass Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom in attendance. At least one of them.

the.dreamfinder

Why?

If there are lines like that for your product you priced it too low.

WDW needs to become the world's most coveted vacation destination, then raise prices and raise them some more until the lines have disappeared. -> which is not a sign of a failing theme park, but of a very well exploited one.
I was referring to the excitement of the public and fulfillment of their expectations that came with WWoHP. But Disney better whip up a quality product if they want people to pay full price.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I kind of see what you're saying. Potter phase 2 is simply the London side of story, which isn't as recognizable. People want Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, and they got it. I don't see the general person who has only seen the movies jumping out of their seat to visit Diagon Alley and Gringotts. Maybe the die-hard Potter, but not the average person.

I think you are falling into a trap - skewed by what Uni actually built.

Hogsmeade isn't an attractive location in the books (or movies really) - It's most notable thing in the books is the secret passages between the town and Hogwarts. While locations are often referenced, most are not elaborated on. There is little 'exotic' about the town to enthrall potential guests.

Diagon Alley on the other hand, has all the shops.. plays the role of Harry's first encounter with the all wizard world.. is home to notable places and characters.

What is skewing your opinion I think.. is you must realize what UNI built for 'Hogsmeade' is actually a mashup of Diagon Alley concepts and Hogsmeade. So you kind of get 'best of both' to an extent. But portions of that attraction are actually attested to the lure of Diagon Alley - not hogsmeade.

If they stayed pure to what Hogsmeade was in the books... several of the shops and Olivanders wouldn't be there.

If you go only by the books and movies... Diagon Alley is a far more 'exotic' and deep place than Hogsmeade. The most unusual place in Hogsmeade, the Shreking Shack, isn't even an attraction at Uni. Three Broomsticks, Hogs Head, and the Inn, are pretty non-descript... Zonkos and honeydukes are more tales then engaging as a location in the books. The zest for what UNI did came from the cherry picking of both places to get the 'best of..' record.

There will be a huge draw for the London side of things.. and on top of that attractions and experiences.

Disneyhead'71

Potter 2 isn't going to make either Orlando UNI park surpass any of the four WDW parks.
I respectfully disagree. They are already knocking at that door. And the 2 E Tickets (Gringott's Bank and The Hogwart's Express) planned are going to be spectacular. And the 2 D Tickets (Weasley Wizard Wheezes and Borgin and Burkes) will also be very popular.
I bet that both Universal Orlando Resort parks will have higher attendance than DHS and DAK in the near future.

CinematicFusion

And Disney agrees with you, so much so that they feel they have no need to create rides to compete with universals building push.
Disney doesn't have to build anything and people will come to the parks.

We need Disney to feel nervous before they start building out. We need Disney to lose a little of its market share.

BryceM

I think you are falling into a trap - skewed by what Uni actually built.

Hogsmeade isn't an attractive location in the books (or movies really) - It's most notable thing in the books is the secret passages between the town and Hogwarts. While locations are often referenced, most are not elaborated on. There is little 'exotic' about the town to enthrall potential guests.

Diagon Alley on the other hand, has all the shops.. plays the role of Harry's first encounter with the all wizard world.. is home to notable places and characters.

What is skewing your opinion I think.. is you must realize what UNI built for 'Hogsmeade' is actually a mashup of Diagon Alley concepts and Hogsmeade. So you kind of get 'best of both' to an extent. But portions of that attraction are actually attested to the lure of Diagon Alley - not hogsmeade.

If they stayed pure to what Hogsmeade was in the books... several of the shops and Olivanders wouldn't be there.

If you go only by the books and movies... Diagon Alley is a far more 'exotic' and deep place than Hogsmeade. The most unusual place in Hogsmeade, the Shreking Shack, isn't even an attraction at Uni. Three Broomsticks, Hogs Head, and the Inn, are pretty non-descript... Zonkos and honeydukes are more tales then engaging as a location in the books. The zest for what UNI did came from the cherry picking of both places to get the 'best of..' record.

There will be a huge draw for the London side of things.. and on top of that attractions and experiences.
Ah. Good points. I didn't even take that into account. I completely forgot that a lot of the shops currently in Hogsmeade are actually from Diagon Alley. I'm especially looking forward to The Leaky Cauldron and that one creepy store (the name escapes me) that Harry accidentally floo-networked into. Now that I think about it, London will have a very big draw.

steamboat wil

Having 2 handicapped children (1 who is severe enough to be eligible for the make a wish trip) I love this bet and no matter who loses everybody wins! Hooray for the kids! I have found that these organizations really do make dreams come true. Having met some of these children their smile alone is worth the price of admission. Kudos to both of you.

Disneyhead'71

Ah. Good points. I didn't even take that into account. I completely forgot that a lot of the shops currently in Hogsmeade are actually from Diagon Alley. I'm especially looking forward to The Leaky Cauldron and that one creepy store (the name escapes me) that Harry accidentally floo-networked into. Now that I think about it, London will have a very big draw.
That creepy store is Borgin and Burkes, it is rumored to be a special effects tour de force walk through attraction. And Weasley Wizard Wheezes is going to not only be a shop but also an attraction on to it's self with actual in store fireworks.
And has anyone mentioned the new interactive wands utilizing the MagiQuest tech? Think Kim Possible on steroids.

Californian Elitist

I simply think people don't understand what Universal has planned for this Potter expansion. The original WWOHP was a $265 million test. The budget for Potter 2.0 is over $500 million. This thing is going to blow the roof off of the themed entertainment industry.

I'm in California and I'm even excited for this expansion. I'm not even remotely interested in what's going on at WDW.

BryceM

That creepy store is Borgin and Burkes, it is rumored to be a special effects tour de force walk through attraction. And Weasley Wizard Wheezes is going to not only be a shop but also an attraction on to it's self with actual in store fireworks.
And has anyone mentioned the new interactive wands utilizing the MagiQuest tech? Think Kim Possible on steroids.
That's right! I remember reading that somewhere on Orlando United.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Personally, I think it's very possible. Here are the TEA numbers:

AK 2009: 9,590,000 2011: 9,783,000 Change: +193,000
DHS 2009: 9,700,000 2011: 9,699,000 Change: -1000
IOA 2009: 4,627,000 2011: 7,674,000 Change +3,047,000
UNI 2009: 5,530,000 2011: 6,044,000 Change +514,000

Even if DHS or AK were to break ground on a major attraction today they wouldn't likely have anything new open until well into 2015 and by that point UNI will have Transformers, Simpsons area, Potter II open, and maybe something else new in IOA. I think this all adds up to a very good chance for IOA or UNI to pass DHS or AK, and if they don't pass the numbers are going to be very close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom