DHS CARS LAND

lazyboy97o

the whole potter swatter thing is silly to me...potter has its fans and no matter what the mouse does they will go to orlando to see wwohp and in 2015 when phase two opens the place will be crazy again
Orange County is not operating under any sort of quota system. You don't just have to attract the people already coming to the area. A "Potter Swatter" could attract people not already planning to come and people who are interested in seeing more than just the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I agree that Star Wars is a logical choice, but for various reasons it's not unusual for large corporations, including Disney, to do apparently illogical things.
But is it the logical choice (using Disney logic)? You build something new and what will the Star Wars faithful do? Will they book a trip for opening or just wait until Star Wars Weekends, which despite few changes continues to attract people? Will more people come and spend more? Plenty of merchandise is already available.

Disney did not buy Star Wars for the theme parks. A $200 million attraction will take years to make money through an indirect accounting system. A $200 million film will be profitable by the end of the opening weekend in the US alone. Buying Star Wars had nothing to do with the theme parks, much less the timeshare development in Florida.

whylightbulb

Original Poster
If Disney gets their crap together and offers a Star Wars land the same time the second phase of Potter opens, Potter gets crushed.

Jimmy Thick- Big if though...
The most I can say for this statement is that IF Disney gets their act together and IF Disney decides to put the "A" team on it and IF Disney decides to invest the proper amount than maybe the Star Wars land might at least be in the same category but it is very unlikely that Disney could put anything together that would "crush" phase 2 Potter. Believe me you don't know what is being planned.

FrankLapidus

No "insider" that I know of has ever said Avatar was dead. It has gone through, and is still going though, its ups and downs but it has never been completely dead.

If you had to put money on one to open first, would you go with Cars Land or Avatarland?

my only thing on star wars (which im in favor for expansion) is you already have a ride and a month pretty much dedicated to star wars how much more will they actually do

A full-fledged land of some sort would be nice. With WDW these days you never know what to expect but a property like Star Wars has huge potential so you would like to think Disney would take as much advantage of that as they possibly could.

Jimmy Thick

The most I can say for this statement is that IF Disney gets their act together and IF Disney decides to put the "A" team on it and IF Disney decides to invest the proper amount than maybe the Star Wars land might at least be in the same category but it is very unlikely that Disney could put anything together that would "crush" phase 2 Potter. Believe me you don't know what is being planned.

I don't need to know whats planned to know that if Disney put together one mediocre SW's ride, a themed meet and greet, and maybe a dining option like say the SW's cantina, called it a new Star Wars land and advertised the crap out of it, it would crush anything Universal did with Potter if they opened the same day, simply because 1) its Disney, 2) its Star Wars.

Its wishful thinking though, I doubt Disney will have anything for Potters opening.

Its not a crack at Universal, actually, I enjoy Universal, but Universal can't compete with the Mouse when the Mouse wants to play ball.

Jimmy Thick- Branding, huge...

doctornick

Okay, so I saw this thread had been bumped and that whylightbulb was the last post and thought "awesome, there's some movement on Cars Land in WDW". And then... thump, no real news.

I would bet on Avatar today but that may change tomorrow.

This is actually disappointing to me, as I don't think Pandora is going to be open for a long time. Cars Land, if approved, sems to me it could be easily fast-tracked (relatively, for Disney) given that it already exists in Anaheim. Plus, if they close LMA/Backlot then they will need to get more attractions opened quickly given how that lessens the offerings in DHA.

The one thing that could slow down Cars Land relative to Pandora is that there is demolishion involved whereas DAK has a large chunk of unused land available.

whylightbulb -- do you have any sense as to what is on the table now for a proposed Cars Land/Pixar Place in DHS? Another insider mentioned that the current plan was just RSR and Flo's Cafe (not a full Cars Land) plus the Monsters Inc coaster and the Ratatouille ride (from Paris)

whylightbulb

Original Poster
I don't need to know whats planned to know that if Disney put together one mediocre SW's ride, a themed meet and greet, and maybe a dining option like say the SW's cantina, called it a new Star Wars land and advertised the crap out of it, it would crush anything Universal did with Potter if they opened the same day, simply because 1) its Disney, 2) its Star Wars.

Its wishful thinking though, I doubt Disney will have anything for Potters opening.

Its not a crack at Universal, actually, I enjoy Universal, but Universal can't compete with the Mouse when the Mouse wants to play ball.

Jimmy Thick- Branding, huge...
Your theory has already been disproven. Disney has already built a SW ride as well as presented live entertainment and meet and greets (Star Wars weekends). Yes they are popular but nowhere near as popular as the Potter attraction. Look at opening day of Potter vs. opening day of Star Tours (Florida or California). Now if Disney decides to do it right than they can compete but to say it will crush Universal because it's Disney simply doesn't hold water.

BryceM

If Disney gets their crap together and offers a Star Wars land the same time the second phase of Potter opens, Potter gets crushed.

Jimmy Thick- Big if though...
It would be near impossible to top Potter phase 2 at the moment. With what's in plan, I don't think even a Star Wars land could crush Potter.

G00fyDad

You let opinion cloud facts a little there I think.

Whilst Carsland has not been green lit in anyway, there is still a very good chance an east coast version will be built.

With respect.

Opinion or not, it would be kind of redundant to have two Cars Land sections in the two resorts. I really do not see them doing this. Is that to say that they will not lose their minds and do it anyway? No. They have done stupid things before. But as you said, it has not been cleared for a go ahead in any way. That being said, maybe they are waiting for one of their other IP's to gain some momentum before clearing land and making an announcement.

Jimmy Thick

Your theory has already been disproven. Disney has already built a SW ride as well as presented live entertainment and meet and greets (Star Wars weekends). Yes they are popular but nowhere near as popular as the Potter attraction. Look at opening day of Potter vs. opening day of Star Tours (Florida or California). Now if Disney decides to do it right than they can compete but to say it will crush Universal because it's Disney simply doesn't hold water.

I believe its safe to say the even when Potter opened, more people were in DHS. I would be so bold to fearlessly predict DHS will have a much higher attendance number than IOA. I make these statements without any research, just simple logic.

Jimmy Thick- Lets see, DHS outdraws IOA by 2, 3 million?

Jimmy Thick

It would be near impossible to top Potter phase 2 at the moment. With what's in plan, I don't think even a Star Wars land could crush Potter.

A mediocre Star Wars land would crush a majestic Potter land. Never underestimate the power or the Star Wars fanatic.

Jimmy Thick- Where is Star Trek?

HenryMystic

I believe its safe to say the even when Potter opened, more people were in DHS. I would be so bold to fearlessly predict DHS will have a much higher attendance number than IOA. I make these statements without any research, just simple logic.

The gap isn't that large. Both Universal parks are nipping at the heels of DAK, DHS, and EC. If not for Food and Wine, EC would be in serious trouble. In the next year or two, a Universal park will overtake one of the non-MK WDW parks.

Jimmy Thick

The gap isn't that large. Both Universal parks are nipping at the heels of DAK, DHS, and EC. If not for Food and Wine, EC would be in serious trouble. In the next year or two, a Universal park will overtake one of the non-MK WDW parks.

DHS outdrew IOA by 2 million last year, if you believe TEA stastistics. DHS outdrew USO by almost 4 million. This was mostly due to the fact Potter opened, if Universal can keep all those people remains to be seen. I don't see any Universal park coming close to even the weakest Disney park anytime soon.

Jimmy Thick- If you believe TEA...

BryceM

Because it has the Disney name in front of it. It does not make Disney's Hollywood Studios a better park than Islands of Adventure because Islands of Adventure is light years above the Studios.

twebber55

Is TDO at all aware of the overall lack of interest/enthusiasm for "Avatarland" via the general public?
again because you ve dont like it doesnt mean others dont... secondly i ve not seen one positive comment on this board about next gen yet it continues to be pursued

please dont turn this onto another i dont like avatar thread it gets old

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom