DHS CARS LAND

celluloid

I would think Summer 2014 would be really pushing it. But anything is possible. Also that is awesome that your husband is a train enthusiast, but just to note this will only be themed to a steam train not operating like one. It is really more of a rail system like Vegas uses. There will likely be two cars with one going in each direction and they will function most likely based on a cable pulling principle beneath them embeded in the track.

Patricia Melton

I would think Summer 2014 would be really pushing it. But anything is possible. Also that is awesome that your husband is a train enthusiast, but just to note this will only be themed to a steam train not operating like one. It is really more of a rail system like Vegas uses. There will likely be two cars with one going in each direction and they will function most likely based on a cable pulling principle beneath them embeded in the track.

Can you explain the "two cars" for me?

Do you mean there will be two tracks? Like, when one train gets to Hogsmeade it unloads people...and then loads new ones up to go to London. Meanwhile, there is a second track with another train doing the same thing going London to Hogsmeade?

Or, is it a circle of one continuous track with the trains staggered so that as one is pulling out of London the other is leaving Hogsemeade and then they just keep going in the circle like that?

They could make it oval with the turning points into each station being the difficult part and then the tracks could run parallel the trip between the parks.

I'm having trouble visualizing how they are going to achieve this! My husband would probably know but I don't want to ask him and spoil the surprise of this being built!

BryceM

They'd have to do something like that because otherwise they'd never be able to control the people who'd "sneak" from one park to the other then.

Probably to get on this ride you'd need to have a park-hopper (not sure what they call it at Universal).

I'm guessing if you only bought a single park ticket that you could upgrade at a ticket window at either end of the ride (since there will be train stations at either end of the ride, this works great if it ends up being how I imagined it). Also it adds some streetmosphere to have a ticket agent working in a ticket booth at a train station themed ride.

I bet you ride from one station to the next and then you must disembark...and then new people will get on to ride from that station back to the other one. They will probably have two trains so that one is always going in one direction and the other always going in the other direction all day.

I wonder if they will sell all the candies from the books on the train platform (can't imagine them having time in 3 minutes to have a cart go through the actual train). Chocolate frogs, every flavor beans, etc.

I'm really excited about this ride. My husband is a big train buff with a giant model train setup in our basement that he's been working on for many years now. I have NOT told him about the Hogwarts Express yet. I want it to be a surprise.

Do you think this will be open by summer 2014? If so, then we're definitely going to have to add an extra day to our Orlando trip to fit in a whole day for Harry Potter. We normally go down for 5 days and 6 nights and spend it all at Disney...but if there's a whole day's worth of Potter stuff to do at Universal then we might take one of those Disney days and do a Potter full day instead. Probably we will sacrifice the water parks at Disney or maybe make DHS a half day from now on and do water park the rest of the day to carve out a full day at Uni.

There's something about 5 days and 6 nights that works out best for my family in terms of the length we like being away from home. 6 days feels too long for us.
Personally, I would take two days out of your vacation and park-hop between the two parks on both of those days. I just went down November 17th (I live an hour away from Orlando, so taking a nice day trip is very easy) and park-hopped between Islandd of Adventure and Universal Studios and just barely finished everything we wanted to do before 8 P.M.

However, you may not be as big of a Universal geek as I am, as I could easily spend hours walking around Port of Entry at Islands of Adventure, hahaha.

But definitely visit Universal 2012. There will be so many new and exciting things to experience, it will be amazing! :D

celluloid

In essence there are two cars because that is all there can be. In vegas they use a cable system that is a pully based. So whenever one car moves the other has to move because the cable is moving. So they will always be at opposite ends of the station and the same exact distance apart. There are pros and cons to using that method but from what I understand that is a possibility. The one continuous track with the trains staggard is likely the one you are visualizing with this then. So with this system there can never be more than two trains since there are only two stations.

OrlandoUnited forums seem to have a lot of chatter about it and most of it sounds legitimate(I don't own that site or post on there much)

flynnibus

Premium Member
In essence there are two cars because that is all there can be. In vegas they use a cable system that is a pully based. So whenever one car moves the other has to move because the cable is moving. So they will always be at opposite ends of the station and the same exact distance apart. There are pros and cons to using that method but from what I understand that is a possibility. The one continuous track with the trains staggard is likely the one you are visualizing with this then. So with this system there can never be more than two trains since there are only two stations.

OrlandoUnited forums seem to have a lot of chatter about it and most of it sounds legitimate(I don't own that site or post on there much)

I have a hard time believing they would use a connected cable system like that. Is that pure speculation by some, or actually insider info shared?

The path is not a straight line (making it more difficult to do cable systems) and I'd think the cable system would make it difficult to do movement effects (start/stop/studder/etc) and the granularity of movement with cable would be less than a direct drive system.

Patricia Melton

However, you may not be as big of a Universal geek as I am, as I could easily spend hours walking around Port of Entry at Islands of Adventure, hahaha.

I've really tried to like Universal, but I just think it looks junky. I respect that other people enjoy it, but I look at the painted cement and the tacky-looking buildings and I just cringe. It reminds me of Geauga Lake, which was an old amusement park they tore down here in Ohio. Geauga Lake is where you'd go if you didn't have enough money to drive the extra few hours to Cedar Point near Toledo.

People who like Universal, I think, have a different set of priorities for a park than I do...and that's what's great about having Universal in Orlando since there are a lot of things there that I don't enjoy but others love. I can't ride coasters because of some medical conditions so the big thrill rides are not for me. I like the immersive environments and finding little nooks and crannies and enjoying food and other fun things. Harry Potter Land at Universal's Islands is the only thing I've ever liked about the Universal parks. I tried hard to like Jurassic Park since I love that movie, but I think JP looks junky. I miss the triceratops they had once upon a time.

But, when they build the Harry Potter London area and the train I can see myself spending a full day there, between the two Potter areas.

I wish they would get rid of the junky Atlantis stuff and the Toon Lagoon thing. I hope they build more of the town of Springfield some day and create a land based on the Universal Monsters (a permanent Halloween land with spooky things all year). I would really like that.

To each their own, though.

magicallactose

Have you seen any concept images or other details for the Hogwart's train?

Whylightbulb had mentioned the cutting edge technology they will be using for the view outside the train windows. They are going to be much more advanced than simple screens. He said something about different 'layers' of screens or images that effectively mimic parallax, so that your eyes perceive depth and distance.

Also, at Orlando United, a trustworthy insider/member has been dropping a lot of tidbits about just how amazingly huge and elaborate the theming of the stations themselves are going to be. I don't want to transcribe what he said here, because it was posted in the members section I believe, and I want to respect that. But Holy Crabcakes, every new detail I hear about this expansion makes it sound as if Universal is making Phase 2 a thousand times more immersive and jaw-dropping than phase one.

Patricia Melton

Whylightbulb had mentioned the cutting edge technology they will be using for the view outside the train windows. They are going to be much more advanced than simple screens. He said something about different 'layers' of screens or images that effectively mimic parallax, so that your eyes perceive depth and distance.

Also, at Orlando United, a trustworthy insider/member has been dropping a lot of tidbits about just how amazingly huge and elaborate the theming of the stations themselves are going to be. I don't want to transcribe what he said here, because it was posted in the members section I believe, and I want to respect that. But Holy Crabcakes, every new detail I hear about this expansion makes it sound as if Universal is making Phase 2 a thousand times more immersive and jaw-dropping than phase one.

Okay, you have really given me a dilemma now. I still want to keep this a secret to surprise my husband in the future...but he would be SO EXCITED to follow all the details of this train being built. The man lives for trains. If he could have his life to do over again, he would be a train conductor or something. That's how much he loves trains.

I think I am going to compromise and research all the things you are talking about with the Hogwart's Express and maybe I can make a scrapbook for him of all the stuff I learn...and then I can give it to him right before we go down there so he can read about what went into building this train.

I just have to keep the secret a little longer!

M.rudolf

The trains will use igzo screens that are between 3-4 layers deep that have the ability to go opaque to show depth. It's basically a newer version of the tech originally invented by Disney to film Snow White

Jose

Cars Land has been officially announced for DHS?? and if the answer is yes, when are they going to begin with the work??

G00fyDad

Cars Land has been officially announced for DHS?? and if the answer is yes, when are they going to begin with the work??

No, it hasn't. And it's not likely to either. They would be better suited to bring another IP into the spot instead of redoing the Cars Land. Then they would have a new "land" in Orlando and a Cars Land in Anaheim. Something different, yet equally as good, to draw folks to both coasts.

G00fyDad

So.. that's the reason why they want to do Avatar Land, isn't it?

No. No one can really get a grasp on what they were thinking with that one. o_O

If TDO is even considering adding anything to DHS they haven't let it slip yet. There has been talk here and there from people close to the decision makers that they are considering it, but nothing concrete yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom