DHS CARS LAND

dreamscometrue

As posted on the Disboards...
Cars Land is coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios!

Shaun Thompson | Posted: Dec 5, 2012 | Updated: Dec 5, 2012 - 12:56:41 PM

While still a rumor, The DIS has confirmed from multiple sources that Disney will officially announce this week that they are bringing Cars Land to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Lights, Motors, Action! and the Backlot Tour will be leveled to make room for an expansion of Pixar Place to include the new land. Disney opened Cars Land at Disney California Adventure back in June to rave reviews and this would be a much needed boost to DHS, which is starting to show its age.

While we don't know yet which attractions will be included with the new expansion, attractions like Radiator Springs Racers have been wildly popular and most likely would be included.

I'll be completely surprised, but thrilled beyond words, if anything at all is mentioned about Carsland/DHS expansion on Friday. Maybe, I'll wish upon a star..yeah, I'll try that tonight.

G00fyDad

I'm curious to see how they'll make carsland fit (or not fit) thematically in DHS. It doesn't fit, so good luck with that.

It might fit if they totally change the theme of the park. Maybe change the name to Disney-Pixar Studios. (They did that with MGM.) If they do change the theme then it might lean heavily on the Pixar movies with Pixar place expanding out into the current LMA show and BLT.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This.

I don't think a truer statement could be formed. Carsland is great because it is the Disney Quality people expect but have not seen in a long while.

I spent two days at DCA a couple weeks ago. Carsland is great, but it actually isn't up to the quality I expect in two key ways. First, RSR was down approximately 40% of the time both days. Second, Luigi's flying tires has a terrible load time and capacity and the ride is mediocre at best. I loved flo's, RSR when it ran (possibly Disney's best attraction yet), and MJJ. And I also love the visuals all over the land ( especially on cross street headed toward Pacific Wharf and on the back patio of Flo's). But LFT is a bust, (IMHO, of course), and if the operational issues are still this bad after 5 months...

The land is a hit now, but if RSR stays this unreliable, the staying power may not be there.

WDW1974

Staggs: "Cars Land has been a tremendous hit. It's such a hit with our guests that it clearly factors into our thinking about the long-range plans for our properties. We haven't made any final decisions about if or when that might happen. But we're excited to see how much our guests are really loving that land."

Jason_Garcia - Asked if Disney would copy Cars Land directly, Staggs said, "Cars Land is a pretty darn good blueprint," tho he also allowed for "tweaking."

Has this been reported on DIS?

(BTW, reading Twits tweets is so entertaining ... I wish my pals Mike and Andy would join in!:D ... Just wondering where I should post some gems from the 'media event')

WDW1974

I'll be completely surprised, but thrilled beyond words, if anything at all is mentioned about Carsland/DHS expansion on Friday. Maybe, I'll wish upon a star..yeah, I'll try that tonight.

Us grownups know that (sadly) wishing upon stars doesn't work ... and that Pixie Dust is a gateway drug!:cool:

WDW1974

I spent two days at DCA a couple weeks ago. Carsland is great, but it actually isn't up to the quality I expect in two key ways. First, RSR was down approximately 40% of the time both days. Second, Luigi's flying tires has a terrible load time and capacity and the ride is mediocre at best. I loved flo's, RSR when it ran (possibly Disney's best attraction yet), and MJJ. And I also love the visuals all over the land ( especially on cross street headed toward Pacific Wharf and on the back patio of Flo's). But LFT is a bust, (IMHO, of course), and if the operational issues are still this bad after 5 months...

The land is a hit now, but if RSR stays this unreliable, the staying power may not be there.

I saw some of that with RSRs in September. But it isn't any worse (it's actually much better) than TT's original reliability at opening and ... really for years. I would hope that RSRs doesn't turn into that. TDS's JTTCoTE uses the same basic ride system and went down once when I was there in four days (that was an automatic shutdown triggered by a 6.9 quake off the coast of Tokyo Bay).

Luigi's flat out sucks. It is the only part of the land I take issue with. A waste of money and a vanity project for John Lasseter to bring Tomorrowland's 1960s Flying Saucers back. They barely move, people don't get how to move them, they bunch up, so even if you know how to move them, you can't. A waste.

But the land as a whole is by far the best work Disney has done stateside in the 21st century. A totally immersive enviornment fit for those 7 to 77.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I'll be the first to admit that Cars Land isn't perfect. I really don't love it like New Orleans Square or the Matterhorn, but I can understand it's appeal. I can give it credit for not skimping on the details even though it doesn't have the most original design. While Disney parks are more than just layers of details, detail is the start of the path to ultimately begin creating original, creative attractions again.

Luigi's is a mess. I've only ridden it once and that was on the first circuit of the day with no wait. I actually enjoyed it, despite laughing about how stupid it looked from the viewing area the other day. I mainly enjoyed it just because it was so bizzarre and pointless. Granted I definitely wouldn't have been so forgiving of its many flaws if I had to wait 75 minutes in the heat first.

stevehousse

I think the only way Cars Land would work in DHS is if the park was actually split into different studios! Lucas Studios, Muppet Studios, Pixar Studios, Disney Animation Studios, and the front of the park/ TOT area would be known as Classic Hollywood Studios.

I do think that a whole carsland still wouldn't fit, but RSR would and if they do go along with the Mosters Inc ride, it can work! Plus finally move Pizza Planet back there and use the old PP for a new muppet or Star Wars attraction!

flynnibus

Premium Member
The boards, I am only on every now and then. Honestly I hang out here a lot, but I am trying to revitalize the rumors board over there, I requested it be moved up in location, and I'll soon be a mod. When that happens, I can guarantee there will not be any closing of threads or banning because something that's said is critical of Disney

Don't you think it's a bit naive to think that you will have control over said things? You're not even on the inside yet, and you're claiming you're gonna prevent something from happening -- something that is clear from the long term trend that is a 'style of management' and not just individual mods. Little newbie mod isn't going to be able to prevent or stop the site admins from running their site - their way.

wedenterprises

It might fit if they totally change the theme of the park. Maybe change the name to Disney-Pixar Studios. (They did that with MGM.) If they do change the theme then it might lean heavily on the Pixar movies with Pixar place expanding out into the current LMA show and BLT.

They could do that regardless. I wouldn't mind if it was the Disney-Pixar studios, and I have no problem with adding more pixar properties, but I don't think they should use that as an excuse to just mindlessly slap pixar rides in for no reason. TSMM was thematically intended for DCA and in it's original form does not fit into the theme of DHS. But it would be an incredibly easy fix to make it fit.

The park should (and can) still focus on the golden age(s) of Hollywood from the 20s up to today. Without spending 1billion+ the park can fix itself. I think just saying ok it's a pixar park would be a cop out.

As far as Carsland, it CAN fit the theme of the magic of Hollywood. So to can TSMM. All it would really require is a few tweaks. It's so simple that I worry they will over think it, or not think AT ALL.

wedenterprises

I think the only way Cars Land would work in DHS is if the park was actually split into different studios! Lucas Studios, Muppet Studios, Pixar Studios, Disney Animation Studios, and the front of the park/ TOT area would be known as Classic Hollywood Studios.

I do think that a whole carsland still wouldn't fit, but RSR would and if they do go along with the Mosters Inc ride, it can work! Plus finally move Pizza Planet back there and use the old PP for a new muppet or Star Wars attraction!

It's not the only way, but yes I agree that creating multiple studio "lands" makes a lot of sense right now. It's the most obvious organizing principle for the park at this point, but it's not the only one.

Personally, I would go in this direction.

However, Disney owns the muppets, they own Lucas properties and they own Pixar. If Disney wanted everything under the Disney umbrella (Pixar just becomes Disney, the word Pixar is no more) then we might lose the ability to organize the park based on the different studios. harumph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom