DHS CARS LAND

td1129

Yes, because only very small children enjoy Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Everyone knows that once you hit 10, you just wants to ride coasters.

I enjoy thrill rides. We have a very nice coaster park for which I have a season pass that costs far less than the cost of one day at a Disney park. Point being, I can ride thrill rides at home for a fraction of the cost.

When Disney can successfully marry theme and thrills like Tower of Terror, I am game. But generally speaking, that means sacrificing a bit on the coaster-type thrills. Which is a trade-off I am willing to make. It's the immersion that makes Disney worth travelling to. I've got size and speed in my own backyard, thanks.

This

Spike-in-Berlin

WDW needs a real coaster. 'nuff with the kiddie and family coasters already.

Thunder is a kiddie coaster, Everest a family coaster. Manta and Dueling Dragons, that's where it's at. Those are fun coasters, up to modern standards. Still relatively tame in comparison to what they build in thrill seeker theme parks.

The parks in WDW are no thrill seeker theme parks so why should they build such rides? Why should they even are interested in? It's not what Disney parks are meant to be. For thrillseekers
there is R'n'RC and ToT and i think that is enough, perhaps in the future there will be something like Mt. Fuji Rollercoaster or Fire Mountain. Disney rollercoasters are not about extreme thrills but about "extreme" theming and immersion.

menamechris

Uh no. When you make an idiotic statement you get called out. Pretty simple really.

That's not calling anyone out. That is obsessing over an adjective. Point being - by the time is built (like a half decade from now) - it will likely be technology that will already have been widely used for some time. It likely won't be breaking any ground. And yes - that is uninspiring. If you have a different opinion - that's yours to have.

Captain Neo

WDW needs more thrill rides not coasters. I consider thrill rides to be anything from Indiana Jones Adventure and harry potter to Star Tours and Tower of Terror. It doesn't have to be a generic coaster like you would see at six flags lol. What about coasters like Space Mountain and Big Thunder? Richly themed and immersive I would love more like those.

Spike-in-Berlin

Yes, because only very small children enjoy Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Everyone knows that once you hit 10, you just wants to ride coasters.

I enjoy thrill rides. We have a very nice coaster park for which I have a season pass that costs far less than the cost of one day at a Disney park. Point being, I can ride thrill rides at home for a fraction of the cost.

When Disney can successfully marry theme and thrills like Tower of Terror, I am game. But generally speaking, that means sacrificing a bit on the coaster-type thrills. Which is a trade-off I am willing to make. It's the immersion that makes Disney worth travelling to. I've got size and speed in my own backyard, thanks.

Chapeau!

td1129

That's not calling anyone out. That is obsessing over an adjective. Point being - by the time is built (like a half decade from now) - it will likely be technology that will already have been widely used for some time. It likely won't be breaking any ground. And yes - that is uninspiring. If you have a different opinion - that's yours to have.

Your name must be Nostradamus. That's a lot of conclusions you were able to draw from a blueprint.

SeaCastle

Adults enjoy Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Children and teenagers - on average - probably not so much. Those attractions are great because of their details and storytelling - something that goes over the heads of many. The average guest does not find them nearly as spectacular as Disney fans do. The average guest is all about the true E tickets in the parks - that do marry thrill and theme. There is no reason to think that any future thrill attractions created by WDI would be any different.

With all due respect, how on Earth can you qualify such remarks? Not to get into a battle of anecdotes, but I can name any number of people that I know (kids, teens, college students, adults, seniors) that love those rides and the parks and aren't "Disney fans" like us. I was six when I first went on Pirates or Haunted Mansion and absolutely loved them. And I can assure you that I was not a rabid, discussion-board posting foamer back then!

If others, as you claim, don't enjoy such rides or appreciate theming or story as much as we do, this does not explain why Walt Disney World is the most-visited theme park in the world as well as one of the world's most popular tourist attractions.

menamechris

If others, as you claim, don't enjoy such rides or appreciate theming or story as much as we do, this does not explain why Walt Disney World is the most-visited theme park in the world as well as one of the world's most popular tourist attractions.

I never said they didn't enjoy the rides. I also didn't say that they don't appreciate theming or storytelling. But the average guest does not "foam" over these attractions as most of us do. The same concept as sports. Do people enjoy watching a good game? Of course! Do they pay to go to games and buy merchandise driving HUGE revenue and sales? Of course. Do most people spend time obsessing over sports, or re-watch old games, or count down the days till the next game they can go to, or spend an obscene amount of money in the name of a sport or team? Usually not unless they are true superfans. The same applies to Disney. Disney is in the DNA of the American family. Going to Disney is something most people do because they feel they should - and it promises a quality, family-friendly vacation. But expecting those same people to get off Pirates of the Carribean rubbing their eyes in disbelief and dreaming of riding it again - quite frankly, that's just silly...

I am a local in Orlando. I host for families and friends constantly when they visit, and go to the parks with them often. Sometimes I am even shocked what people AREN'T impressed by. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. They just tend to look at things at face value and move on to the next ride.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Adults enjoy Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Children and teenagers - on average - probably not so much. Those attractions are great because of their details and storytelling - something that goes over the heads of many. The average guest does not find them nearly as spectacular as Disney fans do. The average guest is all about the true E tickets in the parks - that do marry thrill and theme. There is no reason to think that any future thrill attractions created by WDI would be any different.

Those were my favorite rides as teens. People don't go to Disney for coasters but for rides like Pirates and HM, I agree with Spike and Lebeau...those can be had at any other park.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

As I said - we are not good examples of the average guest. Just sayin...

I think even the average guest goes to these parks because they know it's something different and offers something that they can't get at home. I think you're underestimating the "average" guest to the park. I even have a great example of this: my friend Lelia has never been to WDW but wants to go and take her son. She asked me if WDW has big metal coasters, like Six Flags here in Georgia and I told her there are a few but they're not the main attraction. And there are more family/kiddie coasters. She said she was happy to hear that, she hates big roller coasters and always thought of Disney as something different, a place that doesn't have those.

invader

I think even the average guest goes to these parks because they know it's something different and offers something that they can't get at home. I think you're underestimating the "average" guest to the park. I even have a great example of this: my friend Lelia has never been to WDW but wants to go and take her son. She asked me if WDW has big metal coasters, like Six Flags here in Georgia and I told her there are a few but they're not the main attraction. And there are more family/kiddie coasters. She said she was happy to hear that, she hates big roller coasters and always thought of Disney as something different, a place that doesn't have those.
Good for her, but that gives no reason for Disney not to attempt another tame thrill coaster such as Rockn.

bubbles1812

Good for her, but that gives no reason for Disney not to attempt another tame thrill coaster such as Rockn.
Agreed. I think the parks could use another RRC. It's a super tame roller coaster but just enough that it can satisfy those who want a little bit more of a thrill on their vacations (and there are a lot of people who would like that). As lebeau said earlier in the thread, he could go to a generic roller coaster park for a far less price... but I don't think what people are asking for is just a generic thrill coaster. Disney has proven the can do thrill rides well while still being able to build an immersive detailed environment.

@GeorgiaPinesRJB... I have seen a lot of people like your friend who were looking for a place not just with thrill rides. But I have seen just as many if not more, essentially outgrow Disney as they grew up. I'd say boys might be a little more prone to this just because Disney is so associated with princesses. It just becomes "uncool," unfortunately. My own brothers are a case in point for that. They lost interest in the place when it couldn't at least offer them a bit more of a thrill.

Now.. please do not interpret me saying that I think Disney should be all thrill rides. That is not what I am saying at all. I'm just saying one or two more rides offering a bit more of an intense experience wouldn't hurt and would probably help in keeping older children/teens interested. Not every ride in Disney has to be something every single person in the family down to two year old Bobby can ride.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I didn't say it did, and I like the coasters WDW has... I'm just saying, I think that mind-association with Disney isn't with coasters and if more coasters were to be added, I would like to see them themed well and done the way Disney has always done them. Not cluttering the landscape with big metal behemoths.

@GeorgiaPinesRJB... I have seen a lot of people like your friend who were looking for a place not just with thrill rides. But I have seen just as many if not more, essentially outgrow Disney as they grew up. I'd say boys might be a little more prone to this just because Disney is so associated with princesses. It just becomes "uncool," unfortunately. My own brothers are a case in point for that. They lost interest in the place when it couldn't at least offer them a bit more of a thrill.

Now.. please do not interpret me saying that I think Disney should be all thrill rides. That is not what I am saying at all. I'm just saying one or two more rides offering a bit more of an intense experience wouldn't hurt and would probably help in keeping older children/teens interested. Not every ride in Disney has to be something every single person in the family down to two year old Bobby can ride.

I agree, there should be a plethora and variety of rides at the parks. And there should be something for boys (Cars Land probably being the best option for that). I know in middle school and part of high school a lot of people thought it was "uncool" but trust me, people grow back into the parks, I always find.

bubbles1812

I didn't say it did, and I like the coasters WDW has... I'm just saying, I think that mind-association with Disney isn't with coasters and if more coasters were to be added, I would like to see them themed well and done the way Disney has always done them. Not cluttering the landscape with big metal behemoths.
I don't think I'd mind a coaster or two where maybe the steel was at least partially exposed, provided the area/queue/details surrounding the coaster ect were well done. The video of the Crystal Wings roller coaster that has been floating around here is, I think a perfect example of how a "open" coaster could still be done right...and I'm sure Disney could do it better. Still immersive but it would allow of a little bit more height that the other Disney coasters:

I agree, there should be a plethora and variety of rides at the parks. And there should be something for boys (Cars Land probably being the best option for that). I know in middle school and part of high school a lot of people thought it was "uncool" but trust me, people grow back into the parks, I always find.
Trust me, it doesn't always happen. Just sayin'. Your statement is too much of a generalization. I've known some that "grow back into" the parks but I've known just as many who said nope, don't ever need to go back. The pull of Disney is simply not all that strong with everyone...as much as Disney wishes that were the case, lol.

I do agree that Carsland is Disney's best bet at this time to pull in boys. It's there only franchise that moves massive amounts of merchandise geared towards boys. REally do expect/hope it comes...WDW would be foolish not to bring it.

Also, 1000 posts. Wooooo! I spend too much time on here...and I love it! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom