DHS CARS LAND

Beholder

After putting Nemo in The Seas, I don't think TDO will have any hesitation putting Ratatouille in France. They've already put the Three Caballeros in Mexico. I think they threw the idea of EPCOT being character free out the window a long time ago. What would be nice is a ride through France using the same ride system, but using an original story/theme. As a (reluctant) realist however, I'll be happy with a Ratatouille attraction. EPCOT is that desperate for something.

RSoxNo1

After putting Nemo in The Seas, I don't think TDO will have any hesitation putting Ratatouille in France. They've already put the Three Caballeros in Mexico. I think they threw the idea of EPCOT being character free out the window a long time ago. What would be nice is a ride through France using the same ride system, but using an original story/theme. As a (reluctant) realist however, I'll be happy with a Ratatouille attraction. EPCOT is that desperate for something.
I'll preface this by saying that I don't mind Nemo in The Seas Pavilion. I didn't have a strong attachment to the original pavilion so I wasn't devestated by the overlay, it brought new life into the pavilion. Having said all that, I think there's a difference between adding something new to an area and replacing something that was a better thematic fit with something that's a worse thematic fit. Tomorrowland is probably the worst place for theme downgrades, in my opinion.

awoogala

All of this!!! Plus the muppets are funny. One of the few attractions that still makes me laugh out loud is muppets 3D. For me they fit perfectly in DHS. I understand tradition and why they are not in fantasyland in MK. Although pigs in space might fit in TL as a replacement for laugh floor. We can always make room for Dr Strangepork in the Magic Kingdom.

I know I'm just a grown man with an unnatural love for the muppets. I get they are not as popular as Cars, especially with kids today, but I would welcome anything muppets to the parks.
if it makes you feel any better, my kids would much rather have anything Muppets than cars. :D
we were just singing along to the new soundtrack...

Beholder

I'll preface this by saying that I don't mind Nemo in The Seas Pavilion. I didn't have a strong attachment to the original pavilion so I wasn't devestated by the overlay, it brought new life into the pavilion. Having said all that, I think there's a difference between adding something new to an
area and replacing something that was a better
thematic fit with something that's a worse
thematic fit. Tomorrowland is probably the worst
place for theme downgrades, in my opinion.

I agree. I also think that adding vs re-
imagining are efforts done with the utmost
care and forethought. Adding something
just for the sake of adding is short sighted,
and re-imagining something to "update" it
without consideration of it's "heritage" is
just as damaging. Either way, we can end
up with something thematically out of
place (BAH) for an overlong period of time.

As an aside, I wasn't arguing the characters
themselves, just the inclusion of ANY
characters not already associated with
EPCOT or something created just for
EPCOT. I prefer the original "vision", but I
understand that times and methods change.
I often forget about the subtle inclusion of
Disney characters, but Mickey himself sits
in the center of the MS gift shop.

lazyboy97o

Disney didn't create them or have a hand, so to speak, in their development. That's how they don't fit. They're just a purchase. Now some will say the same applies to Pixar, but that's incorrect. John Lasseter trained at Disney. Disney guided and funded Pixar in its early years, and if it hadn't, Pixar wouldn't exist. In addition, Pixar's storytelling aesthetic is very close to Disney's. So is its character designs. That's why, to most people, Pixar IS Disney. They really don't feel the need to make a distinction.

See, I don't value Disney because it has a big pocketbook that can buy up properties that have faded over the years. I value Disney because of its tradition of innovation and creativity. Its characters and concepts used to come from within, not without. That's what made Disney special. I'd kinda like that to continue, not only in its movies, but in its parks as well. :)
Do you think the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland should be torn down? Harper Goff was brought into WED very much because Walt wanted his own version of the saloon in Calamity Jane and the resemblance is more than slight. Even Sleeping Beauty Castle, save for the rotated top, is very close in look to Neuschwanstein. There was no Disney version of Tom Sawyer, people were expected to relate to the island via the original book. Walt Disney did not always alter and reform what existed.

I don't agree that the Muppets are in tune with Walt's aesthetic. At all. To me, they're a mean bunch of creatures that blow each other up, eat each other, hit each other and then pause every now and then to sing a song about tolerance and/or world peace and stuff. Yes, that's right, I've never been a big fan of them, except for the Sesame Street bunch (when I was very young). But I'm not a big fan of the Marvel heroes or the Power Rangers either. So whatever. Now I understand that others here don't agree with me, and I think that's fine. I don't want this to escalate into an argument, so I'm signing off here. Peace out. :)
You best avoid any Disney shorts from before at least the mid-1930s.

cynic710

this is a very rough and quick idea of what i see cars land/pixar place doing to hollywood studios. like i said im no planner and this is a bunch of pictures pasted together with some overpatched sketches, but i imagine the entrance to radiator springs will lead to the rest of pixar place, with the new themed bugs life play place. another idea is the paradise falls sky ride over the whole pixar area, which ends in the jungle of "up". removing the little mermaid makes room for the monsters inc. factory including the doors roller coaster. like i said, all for fun.

61168_10151160251451631_864857946_n.jpg

FrankLapidus

What building is the Monsters, Inc. Coaster taking in that mock-up? Is it in Animation Courtyard? Or am I reading it wrong...my memory has completely deserted me of what goes where in DHS.

cynic710

What building is the Monsters, Inc. Coaster taking in that mock-up? Is it in Animation Courtyard? Or am I reading it wrong...my memory has completely deserted me of what goes where in DHS.
i covered most of the little mermaid building, i attempted to avoid the animation buildings.

cynic710

Why avoid the animation buildings? They're not used for anything these days (sadly).... There is some prime real estate there for good use!
yeah good point, another thing i decided after i drew it was that the up sky view ride could be a lot bigger, encompassing most of radiator springs as well.

RSoxNo1

As far as I know, the Monster's Inc Coaster was always planned for the "Hot Set" building which is to the left of Toy Story Mania past the Monster's Inc style archway

FrankLapidus

As far as I know, the Monster's Inc Coaster was always planned for the "Hot Set" building which is to the left of Toy Story Mania past the Monster's Inc style archway

I thought that too, the mock-up just threw off my sense of direction at DHS for a moment then.

i covered most of the little mermaid building, i attempted to avoid the animation buildings.

Thanks, I see what you did now.

jdmdisney99

this is a very rough and quick idea of what i see cars land/pixar place doing to hollywood studios. like i said im no planner and this is a bunch of pictures pasted together with some overpatched sketches, but i imagine the entrance to radiator springs will lead to the rest of pixar place, with the new themed bugs life play place. another idea is the paradise falls sky ride over the whole pixar area, which ends in the jungle of "up". removing the little mermaid makes room for the monsters inc. factory including the doors roller coaster. like i said, all for fun.

And if they updated the Backlot Tour, you could enter through Animation and go over Pixar's Hot Sets! ;)

RSoxNo1

With this plan the One Man's Dream is in the middle of Pixar Place too. :confused:
No, One Man's Dream is to the right of Toy Story Mania, as is the Pirates of the Caribbean walk through. They could be absorbed into the Animation Courtyard area if they want to redraw the lands.

jdmdisney99

No, One Man's Dream is to the right of Toy Story Mania, as is the Pirates of the Caribbean walk through. They could be absorbed into the Animation Courtyard area if they want to redraw the lands.
But I'm just saying with the Monsters Inc. on the right they are sort of in the middle.

Turtle

wow that looks cool! btw, is that supposed to be my concept with the different mini-lands or no?

cynic710

wow that looks cool! btw, is that supposed to be my concept with the different mini-lands or no?

i was totally thinking about you when i did this! and no, i didnt even start that project yet, it will take more time, i hope to get the details down on your idea. maybe you can private message me the details so i have something solid to go by, like i said it would be a fun project in between all my work stuff!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom