DHS CARS LAND

jdmdisney99

Disney used to create it attractions using either original ideas or concepts from its own films. That's what made the parks unique. I realize now that since we haven't had an artistic visionary at the company helm for decades now - just cinderblock-brained-CEOs - that those days are likely over. It's just so much EASIER and COST-EFFECTIVE to BUY well-known characters than try to create new ones. That's how a CEO thinks.
Bring back Eisner! Bring back Eisner!

Magenta Panther

This POV is always puzzling to me since the original Disneyland attractions included 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad & Snow White -- none of which were original Disney concepts or ideas, even if Disney did make the films.

You honestly can't tell the difference between the sweat and effort and artistry it took Walt and company to create its version of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and Iger plunking down a wad of cash to buy the Incredible Hulk? You can't tell the difference between developing a story and making it memorable and purchasing a known entity that's already had scores of films and TV shows devoted to it?

nytimez

You honestly can't tell the difference between the sweat and effort and artistry it took Walt and company to create "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and Iger plunking down a wad of cash to buy the Incredible Hulk?

That's not even remotely what I said.

Let me ask another way: What if Disney makes a new Hulk movie full of sweat and effort and artistry -- Disney's sweat and effort and artistry. Would Hulk then be worthy of inclusion in a Disney park?

Beholder

This POV is always puzzling to me since the original Disneyland attractions included 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad & Snow White -- none of which were original Disney concepts or ideas, even if Disney did make the films.

I agree, especially in light of the fact that DHS was intended to showcase all of Hollywood, not just Disney films. MK is a virtual showcase for Disney film history. As long as Disney adds it's "brand" of magic, and as long as it's done in a context that makes sense (in DHS), then I have no problem with them reaching outside to accomplish a thematic goal. Now, on the other hand, I'd like EPCOT to stay character free and strictly Disney, and I'd prefer AK to stay free of any outside properties. MK should stay Disney/original content. That's just my take on it.

Beholder

While we're on the subject of the Hulk and marvel in general, it's a different animal altogether now. Marvel characters are fully developed properties that have been fleshed out over the years in comics, cartoons, movies, merchandise, and tv shows. When Disney originally developed 20,000 leagues, Snow White, or most of the others, the only exposure they had, was, for the most part, written. A book. Adapting the Hulk or Iron Man to a Disney style of storytelling would be impossible. These characters were purchased for the demographic they brought, not because they lend themselves to "Disneyfication". They don't NEED to be embellished with any Disney touch. But when people think of Snow White or Mr. Toad, it's the Disney version they think of, not a work of classic literature.

Turtle

You honestly can't tell the difference between the sweat and effort and artistry it took Walt and company to create its version of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and Iger plunking down a wad of cash to buy the Incredible Hulk? You can't tell the difference between developing a story and making it memorable and purchasing a known entity that's already had scores of films and TV shows devoted to it?
Disney has devoted a story to the new Muppet film, and the Marvel films. So what are you saying?

nytimez

While we're on the subject of the Hulk and marvel in general, it's a different animal altogether now. Marvel characters are fully developed properties that have been fleshed out over the years in comics, cartoons, movies, merchandise, and tv shows. When Disney originally developed 20,000 leagues, Snow White, or most of the others, the only exposure they had, was, for the most part, written. A book. Adapting the Hulk or Iron Man to a Disney style of storytelling would be impossible. These characters were purchased for the demographic they brought, not because they lend themselves to "Disneyfication". They don't NEED to be embellished with any Disney touch. But when people think of Snow White or Mr. Toad, it's the Disney version they think of, not a work of classic literature.

I think it's a mistake to try to separate the Disney "version" of Toad as some distinct creation. They had a rich work of very popular literature -- purchased as a license, by the way -- and created an animated character based on what is in the work of literature.

This is true to varying degrees of most of the characters, although they didn't have to license Snow White and other princesses and took greater liberties with them. I'd say the Snow White character is far more original, as a Disney creation, than Mr. Toad or Captain Nemo.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With all of the supposed upcoming attractions/rides, it's going to be interesting how they market this. I'm curious to see what sort of media presense the FLE will have once it's officially opened up. With a Cars land (Carsland?), MI coaster, and who knows what else, it should make for some interesting promotions. At least I would think so. Should be a very exciting next few years.

FYI... You got it right, its Cars Land. 2 words. In one of these threads there was someone who was very upset that people were calling it Carsland.

Skibum1970

Regarding Mr. Toad, I'd like to see a trackless ride follow the adventures of the Water Rat, the Mole, the Badger, and Mr. Toad. Each would follow its own path from the classic book with interactions at key points, particularly the end.

I do like Disney staying with their own movies. Avengers was awesome but I didn't really associate it with Disney. Tangled, Brave, Up, Wall-E and the rest of the gang (yes, Pixar started out separate) seem to embody Disney. For that matter, I wouldn't mind some rides based on the old live action movies like Mary Poppins.

Still, a Cars Land at DHS mixed with Monsters Inc and who knows what else will be great. I won't have to fly 4 hours or pay three times the airfare to see it.

Beholder

I think it's a mistake to try to separate the Disney "version" of Toad as some distinct creation. They had a rich work of very popular literature -- purchased as a license, by the way -- and created an animated character based on what is in the work of literature.

This is true to varying degrees of most of the
characters, although they didn't have to license
Snow White and other princesses and took greater
liberties with them. I'd say the Snow White
character is far more original, as a Disney creation,
than Mr. Toad or Captain Nemo.

I agree, but my point is that most people probably don't realize that Disney DID NOT create most of the most recognizable characters. The different type and level of exposure those properties had compared to Marvel isn't even close. So much time has passed that the association with Disney is universal. I don't think Disney will ever be credited, by mistake or otherwise, with creating Marvel and it's characters.

nytimez

I don't think Disney will ever be credited, by mistake or otherwise, with creating Marvel and it's characters.

Tell ya what. Meet me outside the gates of Disney's Marvel Super Hero Land in Anaheim on Oct. 22, 2062 and we'll take an informal survey and see if that turns out to be true. Drinks will be on me either way.

bubbles1812

Believe me. It's a point of view I've never understood either, like at all. Panther is the only one I've seen take the stance on here that they would like Star Wars, Muppets, ect wiped from the park if they could get it. It's...a special view to say the least.

Nevertheless, thanks Panther for answering. It was very insightful to hear about the influences that Disney had on the film even if it wasn't Disney made. Oz is not my most fav movie in the world so I don't know a ton about the stuff that went into making it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom