DHS CARS LAND

Turtle

Good points! And both areas could use the help...

As long as it fits thematically, is not overlaying an attraction for the sake of overlaying it (Nemo), and improves upon an existing area lacking attractions/in rough shape - with a quality attraction - it's ok in my books. Especially if the alternative is stagnation.
Yeah but things like Incredibles, UP (maybe in AK), Toy Story, Monsters, etc. should go in DHS. Brave would fit in Fantasyland though

bubbles1812

I'd like an Oz land that hearkens back to the MGM film. Otherwise, I don't thin it'd interest me much.

I'm curious Panther. Why would you be ok with an Oz land that hearkens back to the MGM film? MGM no longer has much to do with Disney at all, not counting scenes in The Great Movie Ride. Beyond that, anything MGM related is really nothing more than an acquired Disney property. Given your stance on pretty much every other property Disney has acquired (Star Wars, Muppets, Indiana Jones and list goes on and on...) and your dislike of their presence in the parks, what makes Oz different? That movie wasn't a Disney created property at all. Return to Oz and the upcoming Oz film, yes, but not the 1939 version. So why would you want that version in the park when it is decidedly not Disney?

LudwigVonDrake

i heard Disney is watching how the new film is to see if they should invest on an Oz land behind frontier land in DL and replacing part of backlot in DHS

If anything is going in the backlot it's Carsland. I may be wrong but I don't believe there has been any discussion of Oz taking over part of the backlot.

RSoxNo1

That looks like it would be unbelievably crowded. I know a while ago it was mentioned that Monsters Inc would actually have an entrance around the corner from the Hot Set Marquee. There's space there to do this stuff, but if all 3 rides are added I really hope they consider the entrance areas - otherwise it could be incredibly congested. One of the things that really helps out Carsland is the benefit of space. Yes, a 3 hour line for Radiator Springs Racers sucks but the land itself doesn't feel claustrophobic. Unfortunately that's not the case around Toy Story Mania or Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

doctornick

That looks like it would be unbelievably crowded. I know a while ago it was mentioned that Monsters Inc would actually have an entrance around the corner from the Hot Set Marquee. There's space there to do this stuff, but if all 3 rides are added I really hope they consider the entrance areas - otherwise it could be incredibly congested. One of the things that really helps out Carsland is the benefit of space. Yes, a 3 hour line for Radiator Springs Racers sucks but the land itself doesn't feel claustrophobic. Unfortunately that's not the case around Toy Story Mania or Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Yeah, I don't see it. If they put in a full Cars Land (i.e. roughly similar size to what is in DCA) and put the door coaster in soundstage 1, then I don't think there is going to be a ton of space for other attractions. Maybe one larger attraction like a Ratatouille clone or an Incredibles e-ticket might fit, but that would almost certainly be it. If they were able to put in something like Ratatouille, I wouldn't expect a restaurant as well.

I think it's more likely that any attractions in addition to Cars Land/door coaster would be some small footprint stuff like Flik's Fliers.

One question I do have is about the backstage buildings on the far side of "Stage Ln" in DHS. What is there current use and can they be relocated? Since the proposed entrance to the door coaster would be back near there, is there any possibility of those backstage buildings being re-purposed for guest use (e.g. putting Laugh Floor in one of them)?

RSoxNo1

Yeah, I don't see it. If they put in a full Cars Land (i.e. roughly similar size to what is in DCA) and put the door coaster in soundstage 1, then I don't think there is going to be a ton of space for other attractions. Maybe one larger attraction like a Ratatouille clone or an Incredibles e-ticket might fit, but that would almost certainly be it. If they were able to put in something like Ratatouille, I wouldn't expect a restaurant as well.

I think it's more likely that any attractions in addition to Cars Land/door coaster would be some small footprint stuff like Flik's Fliers.

One question I do have is about the backstage buildings on the far side of "Stage Ln" in DHS. What is there current use and can they be relocated? Since the proposed entrance to the door coaster would be back near there, is there any possibility of those backstage buildings being re-purposed for guest use (e.g. putting Laugh Floor in one of them)?
Others may be able to speak more intelligently about this, but I would assume that all of those backstage buildings could be demolished/relocated.

Beholder

With all of the supposed upcoming attractions/rides, it's going to be interesting how they market this. I'm curious to see what sort of media presense the FLE will have once it's officially opened up. With a Cars land (Carsland?), MI coaster, and who knows what else, it should make for some interesting promotions. At least I would think so. Should be a very exciting next few years.

Magenta Panther

I'm curious Panther. Why would you be ok with an Oz land that hearkens back to the MGM film? MGM no longer has much to do with Disney at all, not counting scenes in The Great Movie Ride. Beyond that, anything MGM related is really nothing more than an acquired Disney property. Given your stance on pretty much every other property Disney has acquired (Star Wars, Muppets, Indiana Jones and list goes on and on...) and your dislike of their presence in the parks, what makes Oz different? That movie wasn't a Disney created property at all. Return to Oz and the upcoming Oz film, yes, but not the 1939 version. So why would you want that version in the park when it is decidedly not Disney?

Hmmm...I guess because it was inspired in part by...Walt Disney himself. :D The success of "Snow White" motivated MGM to go ahead and make an Oz movie, despite the financial risks. Walt had SUCH an influence on the movie that he's featured in the "making of" section of my "Wizard of Oz" DVD set - it shows film footage of him and everything. Plus, MGM watched "Snow White" for cues on how to depict Oz. The Wicked Witch of the West was originally going to be a sinister beauty because of the success and appeal of Disney's Wicked Queen. Some of Oz's film-makers, however, shouted it down and pointed to the Queen's Hag transformation as evidence that "bad witches should be ugly!" Which is why MGM eventually chose Margaret Hamilton for the role instead of Gale Sondergaard.

Also, some years later, Walt bought the rights to the Oz books in hopes of making an Oz movie himself. It didn't happen, but it's yet another instance in which Oz and Walt crossed paths.

Now, if I had my way, not only would the 1939 Oz film not appear in DHS or anywhere else in a Disney park, but Star Wars and Muppets and all the rest would go too. But since I don't get my way :p, I've made peace with non-Disney entities being in DHS because it's kind of turned into a park that honors movies in general, not just Disney ones. So I'd be okay with an Oz attraction there...but it'd be nice if the best, most beloved and most accomplished version was showcased instead of any lesser versions. That film deserves that much IMO.

Magenta Panther

What's wrong withe the Muppets and Star Wars... a lot better fit than Oz IMO

NONE of them fit in a Disney park, to my way of thinking. Disney used to create its attractions using either original ideas or concepts from its own films. That's what made the parks unique. I realize now that since we haven't had an artistic visionary at the company helm for decades now - just cinderblock-brained-CEOs - that those days are likely over. It's just so much EASIER and COST-EFFECTIVE to BUY well-known characters than try to create new ones. That's how a CEO thinks. And unfortunately, that's affecting the parks.

I totally disagree with you about Star Wars and Muppets being a better fit in DHS than "The Wizard of Oz". Certainly the high fantasy, music and heart of the Oz film has more of a Disney vibe, at least to my way of thinking, than the other two. But we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Turtle

NONE of them fit in a Disney park, to my way of thinking. Disney used to create it attractions using either original ideas or concepts from its own films. That's what made the parks unique. I realize now that since we haven't had an artistic visionary at the company helm for decades now - just cinderblock-brained-CEOs - that those days are likely over. It's just so much EASIER and COST-EFFECTIVE to BUY well-known characters than try to create new ones. That's how a CEO thinks. And unfortunately, that's affecting the parks.

I totally disagree with you about Star Wars and Muppets being a better fit in DHS than "The Wizard of Oz". Certainly the high fantasy, music and heart of the Oz film has more of a Disney vibe, at least to my way of thinking, than the other two. But we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
The music, heart, comedy, and family-centered values of Muppets are perfect for Disney. How doesn't specifically Muppets fit to Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom