DHS CARS LAND

SirLink

Frontierland...? How does a world where automobiles are alive fit in with the American Old West?o_O

How does plastic toys, modern day monsters, modern transport as well as a house showing how people used to live fit in with Tomorrow Land? Soon MK will need to go under the knife for an Extreme Makeover.

Beholder

How does plastic toys, modern day monsters, modern transport as well as a house showing how people used to live fit in with Tomorrow Land? Soon MK will need to go under the knife for an Extreme Makeover.

I agree that the business decision to reach for "branding" over a coherent theme has created some odd attraction lists. Tomorrow Land is a mess. Frontier and Adventure Land may in fact be headed that way. Losing the Aladdin spinner would help in AL. I'm afraid however, that as long as a "brand name" is the priority, then theme will matter less and less. The hat at DHS, Dinorama at AK, Nemo at EPCOT, and all the problems at MK. It's all about marketing I guess.

GLaDOS

Not really getting your point. At all. Tomorrowland has always been a touch off thematically.

That was my point - Tomorrow Land, Adventure Land are both a mess currently. Trying to read these threads and code is tough.

How in the hell is Adventureland a mess? Other than the unfortunate placement of the carpets, there's nothing thematically wrong with the land.

KCheatle

Honestly, I think you all are thinking too much about theming. It's pretty clear that that global-theming is not Disney's #1 priority. I'm pretty sure their priority is: how do we make the largest profit possible? I think they know how to do that. I don't think it's a fluke that they turned the Living Seas into a Nemo ride - It was cheaper to keep the water feature in place and people are drawn to the Nemo franchise - $$ - win win. The Aladin spinners are the same thing - everyone knows Aladin, Disney needed another ride over there, they didn't have to spend any money on conceptual development of the ride, it sort of fits the theme - there you go - more rides = more money. Same story with the Laugh floor - needed to fill the space, didn't really know what to do - put in benches (cheap), hired some comedians, banked on a popular franchise and there you have it. They will do the same thing with DHS. They will just copy and past the cars land into DHS - there will not be a Monster's Inc coaster because the Cars theme is enough to draw peple there. They won't work on any extra development of rides because that's money wasted. Bottom line -if they open the same cars land in DHS, guess what? We'll all go! People on these forums whine and moan about it, but Disney knows we'll still show up. So, what are they out? Nothin. They are all about making a profit - don't kid yourselves with the theming nonsense.

SirLink

How in the hell is Adventureland a mess? Other than the unfortunate placement of the carpets, there's nothing thematically wrong with the land.

The spinner and positioning of POTC as you go from an area that is trying to be 1930 style adventurers to pirates - I'm probably the only person in the world that feels that way, though.

GLaDOS

The spinner and positioning of POTC as you go from an area that is trying to be 1930 style adventurers to pirates - I'm probably the only person in the world that feels that way, though.

Yea, Pirates isn't a big deal, IMO. It's a "miniland" inside the land.

baymenxpac

Honestly, I think you all are thinking too much about theming. It's pretty clear that that global-theming is not Disney's #1 priority. I'm pretty sure their priority is: how do we make the largest profit possible? I think they know how to do that. I don't think it's a fluke that they turned the Living Seas into a Nemo ride - It was cheaper to keep the water feature in place and people are drawn to the Nemo franchise - $$ - win win. The Aladin spinners are the same thing - everyone knows Aladin, Disney needed another ride over there, they didn't have to spend any money on conceptual development of the ride, it sort of fits the theme - there you go - more rides = more money. Same story with the Laugh floor - needed to fill the space, didn't really know what to do - put in benches (cheap), hired some comedians, banked on a popular franchise and there you have it. They will do the same thing with DHS. They will just copy and past the cars land into DHS - there will not be a Monster's Inc coaster because the Cars theme is enough to draw peple there. They won't work on any extra development of rides because that's money wasted. Bottom line -if they open the same cars land in DHS, guess what? We'll all go! People on these forums whine and moan about it, but Disney knows we'll still show up. So, what are they out? Nothin. They are all about making a profit - don't kid yourselves with the theming nonsense.

the latter half of your post is silly.

i wonder if on opening day of magic kingdom, each land didn't exist and it was just an entire park of mish mosh, would disney have been able to achieve the status it has now?

of course the answer is no. it wouldn't differentiate it from any six flags, carowins, or whatever "amusement park" has come before or after it.

disney became an industry leader by paying extreme attention to detail and customer service. are you right in saying that they've forgone that approach in the quest for increased profit the last 15-20 years? yes, you are. it doesn't mean it's "nonsense." especially when a few miles up the road, UOR is having success by putting core disney values into action.

and if attendance figures weren't indicative enough, people are going in droves to IOA to visit WWOHP. any one of those people who would have spent their day at a disney park instead had they not had the option to go to see potter is money lost by WDW. so what are they out? a whole bunch, as a matter of fact.

KCheatle

the latter half of your post is silly.

i wonder if on opening day of magic kingdom, each land didn't exist and it was just an entire park of mish mosh, would disney have been able to achieve the status it has now?

of course the answer is no. it wouldn't differentiate it from any six flags, carowins, or whatever "amusement park" has come before or after it.

disney became an industry leader by paying extreme attention to detail and customer service. are you right in saying that they've forgone that approach in the quest for increased profit the last 15-20 years? yes, you are. it doesn't mean it's "nonsense." especially when a few miles up the road, UOR is having success by putting core disney values into action.

and if attendance figures weren't indicative enough, people are going in droves to IOA to visit WWOHP. any one of those people who would have spent their day at a disney park instead had they not had the option to go to see potter is money lost by WDW. so what are they out? a whole bunch, as a matter of fact.

I think you misudnerstand my point. I personally don't think theming is nonsense. I love it. My ponit is that while I enjoy appropriate theming and do think that it should be Disney's priority, I don't think Disney agrees with me (anymore at least). Their lack of attention to theming and cohesiveness in all 4 WDW parks has demonstrated that to me pretty evidently. My point was I don't think people should kid themselves into believing Disney cares about the theming anymore because I think it's pretty clear they prefer profits to theming. Hopefully the Harry Potter land will get them back on track, but I'm not holding my breath.

baymenxpac

I think you misudnerstand my point. I personally don't think theming is nonsense. I love it. My ponit is that while I enjoy appropriate theming and do think that it should be Disney's priority, I don't think Disney agrees with me (anymore at least). Their lack of attention to theming and cohesiveness in all 4 WDW parks has demonstrated that to me pretty evidently. My point was I don't think people should kid themselves into believing Disney cares about the theming anymore because I think it's pretty clear they prefer profits to theming. Hopefully the Harry Potter land will get them back on track, but I'm not holding my breath.

yeah, i think i may have. and in that spirit, it's obvious that we agree.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One hundred and two pages of posts here! Really? I just want to know if Cars Land is coming or not! I don't have time to read all this... Please, someone summarize! Thanks!

By the way, I think Cars Land would fit more in the Magic Kingdom in Frontier Land next to Big Thunder Mountain, behind Splash Mountain. Its rocks would blend in naturally and give the MK a much-needed E-ticket attraction. What DHS needs are more E-ticket thrill rides. That way, DHS would be for the "big kids" and MK for the younger ones.

Sure. Slap a cowboy hat on lightning McQueen and call it a day.

cheezbat

Sure. Slap a cowboy hat on lightning McQueen and call it a day.

Haha I can see it now: Cars 3:Cars of the Wild Wild West. (I guess we shouldn't give them any ideas)

Personally, IF Carsland absolutely had to be in the Magic Kingdom, id want it replacing the Speedway...they could take up a big chunk of unused land behind the Speedway as well and have a whole new land for the park. In all honesty though, I'd hope they'd save Cars for DHS. Best fit of the 4 parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Haha I can see it now: Cars 3:Cars of the Wild Wild West. (I guess we shouldn't give them any ideas)

Personally, IF Carsland absolutely had to be in the Magic Kingdom, id want it replacing the Speedway...they could take up a big chunk of unused land behind the Speedway as well and have a whole new land for the park. In all honesty though, I'd hope they'd save Cars for DHS. Best fit of the 4 parks.
Sadly, that plot may actually be better than Cars 2.

Beholder

I can't help but imagine that when WDI gets tasked with creating/designing a new concept for an attraction or ride, they get the most excited when it's something completely original. No movie tie in. No character overlay. Just something to compliment an existing environment. As maligned as EE is, at least it was an original concept. I know it's origins are in DL, but it's an original Disney idea. I just think hearing, "ok guys, we need an attraction based on (put movie title here). And don't forget to highlight the merchandise angle!", would be a bit more confining than say, "Alright, Tomorrow Land needs a facelift. Start from scratch, knock our socks off! And remember, let's do something new and exciting!". I know times have changed, but the way it's done now seems so backwards. Build something amazing, and then worry about the merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom