Desperate desprate disney

disney_nutter

Original Poster
In response to the desperate universal thread can i just say how desperate disney must be to be giving away prizes to make people come to there parks, that not very good business like is it. year of a million dreams more like we are desperate to get money

JimboJones123

In response to the desperate universal thread can i just say how desperate disney must be to be giving away prizes to make people come to there parks, that not very business like is it. year of a million dreams mosr like we are desperate to get money
That's a good one Beavis.

New2WDW

After the year Disney had they really did not have to try to lure people to the parks! I thought it was nice to offer these types of prizes that many of which money can not buy! So I guess it all comes down to perspective. We love the Disney atmosphere and will continue to return.

brisem

Isn't it the goal of any company to make money? It's Business 101--do promotions to attract the most people. Stores do it with loss leaders.
If this brings more people, increase bookings in their hotel--then the promotion worked. It doesn't make them desprate--just a smart promotion to do what their goal is

disney_nutter

Original Poster
To be honest i dont think they are desperate but im just sick of universal bashing etc and its been said disney do somthing its called a good bussines plan universal try something they are desperate

Apparently you don't know thing about how businesses operate. The million dreams was/is a marketing campaign. Not unlike having Ford putting on TV ads. The simple fact is the prices they give away are for the most part costing them nothing or next to nothing. I don't think their giving out fast passes or hats is costing that much... even the trips to disney aren't costing them that much if anything at all, get the airfare donated by including the name of the airline... you know they will certainly have a free hotel room somewhere so that costs nothing except the soap to clean the sheets, and what 4 more people in their park going to cost them... No I would say they'll make more money from the people that win free trips buying food and souveniers than they will actually spend on the people going there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What is desperate about Universal is there incisive need to mention Disney in nearly every one of their add campaigns. They should try to entice people to come to their parks based on their own merits and not the comparison to their big brother down the street.

mgraef

Whether or not there are special give aways, the Year of a Million Dreams campaign seems to be getting attention. I think it is more the advertisements than the promise of sleeping in the castle.

Although that ad with Scarlett as Cinderella....I just signed up for breakfast at the castle!!

CaptainMichael

To be honest, I think the YoMD is pretty cool. I'd love to be one of the lucky people who wins something (imagine how that must feel). It's a marketing campaign that costs merely a fraction of the Happiest Celebration on Earth...quite smart IMO.

slappy magoo

Another lesson from advertising 101 is that you don't mention the competition. Universal has yet to learn this.

Oh, you mean like Pepsi's Taste Test in the 80s where they constantly compared themselves to Coca Cola and closed the gap in sales so severely Coca Cola actually CHANGED their formula? (Remember The New Coke, kids?)

Or how about when Burger King used to point out how much bigger their burgers were compared to McDonald's? They never got closer to market dominance then when they ran those ads.

Or how MSNBC constantly compares their approach to the news with Fox News Channel's? Granted, Fox is still number 1 but their total viewership is down 20% compared to last year and trending downwards while MSNBC is up 4% & trending upwards.

Or Sirius comparing itself to XM in their ads? They went from an over-5-million subscriber gap to one and a half in two years. Gratned, Howard helps, as does NFL and now Nascar, but they're not afraid to say they think they're better.

Yeah, comparing yourself to the competition never works.

I'm only being half-faceitious. In Universal's situation, it doesn't help that they do, IMHO, have an inferior product to WDW's.

New2WDW

What is desperate about Universal is there incisive need to mention Disney in nearly every one of their add campaigns. They should try to entice people to come to their parks based on their own merits and not the comparison to their big brother down the street.

Very True!

slappy magoo said:
In Universal's situation, it doesn't help that they do, IMHO, have an inferior product to WDW's

Also True! IMHO

TakeMe2TheMagic

Apparently you don't know thing about how businesses operate. The million dreams was/is a marketing campaign. Not unlike having Ford putting on TV ads. The simple fact is the prices they give away are for the most part costing them nothing or next to nothing. I don't think their giving out fast passes or hats is costing that much... even the trips to disney aren't costing them that much if anything at all, get the airfare donated by including the name of the airline... you know they will certainly have a free hotel room somewhere so that costs nothing except the soap to clean the sheets, and what 4 more people in their park going to cost them... No I would say they'll make more money from the people that win free trips buying food and souveniers than they will actually spend on the people going there.

Thank you very much :animwink:

Uponastar

YoMD is a great idea. Sure it's a marketing strategy. . .but is Disney now supposed to come up with something that doesn't make them money? Why not bring in the bucks and give the guests something different and fun at the same time? It's working!

sbkline

To be honest i dont think they are desperate but im just sick of universal bashing etc and its been said disney do somthing its called a good bussines plan universal try something they are desperate

I agree, and I caught onto your point as soon as I read your post.

It does seem that some are so blindly loyal to Disney that Disney can do no wrong and its competitors can do no right. To me, WDW and Universal are both just competing theme park companies, with WDW being by far the better of the two. However, I will go to Universal and have a good time, as well, and I am not so blindly loyal to Disney that I have to bash anything that Universal does as being "desperate".

slappy magoo

YoMD is a great idea. Sure it's a marketing strategy. . .but is Disney now supposed to come up with something that doesn't make them money? Why not bring in the bucks and give the guests something different and fun at the same time? It's working!

and if Uni's current pay-83-dollars-get-7-days-admission promotion works for them, I know you'll feel good for them. That's cool.

Figment571

Wait, haven't you seen the Universal commercials with the little girl talking about how they hate Princess. Or the comparisons with Disney on the Universal website. Every ad Universal does is an attempt to bash Disney!
Maybe not all but most.

Uponastar

and if Uni's current pay-83-dollars-get-7-days-admission promotion works for them, I know you'll feel good for them. That's cool.

I won't feel anything one way or the other. If people want to go there, they will. I don't know why my saying that WDW's latest marketing strategy seems to be working would imply that I want Universal to succeed with their promotions. I'm simply saying YoMD is a good idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom