News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Goofyernmost

The last few years have been wild. Pieces of vehicles, track beams and entire doors falling off or being stuck on open durring a ride.

If that keeps up or gets worse, you have evidence the concern was more than valid.
Please put that stuff in prospective. The numbers of miles used on the equipment, the numbers of people that daily safely ride the monorail, the fact that all mechanical things can and will break down and so on. You are making it sound like this is a daily problem and happens pretty much everytime they move one of the trains. I'd be willing to bet that the vehicle you drive to work everyday has more hidden problems and things that are about ready to fall off then the Monorails do. I don't believe that we should be giving that Jack Wad in Tallahassee more false or distorted problems for him to throw around and Disney has to prove wrong. Who's side are you on?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

For all of you that are looking for the ray of light that the inspectors will force Disney to replace the old monorail fleet are living in a world of unicorns. Even if they did put pressure and threaten to shut the monorails down it won't happen because WDW will shut down the monorails themselves. It is a very costly setup that Disney would happily close and replace, if the ferries and buses aren't enough, with a couple new lines of Gondolas. You can bet on that.

Brian

For all of you that are looking for the ray of light that the inspectors will force Disney to replace the old monorail fleet are living in a world of unicorns. Even if they did put pressure and threaten to shut the monorails down it won't happen because WDW will shut down the monorails themselves. It is a very costly setup that Disney would happily close and replace, if the ferries and buses aren't enough, with a couple new lines of Gondolas. You can bet on that.
🤔

celluloid

Please put that stuff in prospective. The numbers of miles used on the equipment, the numbers of people that daily safely ride the monorail, the fact that all mechanical things can and will break down and so on. You are making it sound like this is a daily problem and happens pretty much everytime they move one of the trains. I'd be willing to bet that the vehicle you drive to work everyday has more hidden problems and things that are about ready to fall off then the Monorails do. I don't believe that we should be giving that Jack Wad in Tallahassee more false or distorted problems for him to throw around and Disney has to prove wrong. Who's side are you on?

I can put it in perspective by saying all of these very concerning incidents happened in the last 6 years. Not in the majority of the system's lifetime.

The trains operating now are so far outdated and the EPCOT Beam was ill designed in comparison and has its challenges catching up to it.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The last few years have been wild. Pieces of vehicles, track beams and entire doors falling off or being stuck on open durring a ride.

If that keeps up or gets worse, you have evidence the concern was more than valid.
The last few years have been in the era of social media, when everything spreads across the globe in real time. That does not automatically mean things are better or worse than they were for the 45+ years before that- it only means that it's easier to learn about things that happen than it was for decades before that.

celluloid

The last few years have been in the era of social media, when everything spreads across the globe in real time. That does not automatically mean things are better or worse than they were for the 45+ years before that- it only means that it's easier to learn about things that happen than it was for decades before that.

It does. Social Media spreads faster for sure. But people have this concept that things were not documented in any way when major things like doors off a monorail happened. We know crazy things that happened all over WDW prior to the internet.

Regardless of all of this. Track beams falling off, doors being stuck open, and falling off completely and wheel guards falling off over guest areas are not things that should happen at the frequency they have in the last six years. You know that to be true.

Breakdowns alone are more common and operations have gotten worse. These trains are decades past their intended service life.

I assure you, it should not be expected that a door will fall off or be stuck open a few times a year. Or that the pieces of the track beam or monorail wheel guards should fall off in guest areas a couple times every few years.

donsullivan

Premium Member
In an effort to try and drag this thing back to the subject at hand and the news from today. If this had been brought up as a standalone initiative due to the number of people riding on the monorail, especially after the accident that resulted in the monorail pilot's death, I would not likely have had any concerns with it. Having the NTSB involved in that investigation gave the investigation into the cause significant credibility that was to everyones advantage.

In normal times, having an external party watching out for safety isn't by its very nature a bad thing. A separate pair of eyes is rarely a bad thing, if only just to highlight gaps in procedures. Unfortunately, we are not currently in normal times with the relationship between Disney and the state, and this effort was not done to resolve a safety issue (perceived or otherwise).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can put it in perspective by saying all of these very concerning incidents happened in the last 6 years. Not in the majority of the system's lifetime.

The trains operating now are so far outdated and the EPCOT Beam was ill designed in comparison and has its challenges catching up to it.
Please describe how Epcot’s monorail line was “ill designed”.

celluloid

Please describe how Epcot’s monorail line was “ill designed”.

The concrete specifically was a different situation than the original process used for MK. This is why it has aged quicker and looks worse, even though it is much younger It set differently.

This is why it is also more prone to shifting and crumbling including the situation of the cracks and chunks falling off not too long ago.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The cement specifically was a different situation than the original. This is why it has aged quicker and looks worse, even though it is much younger It set differently.

This is why it is also more prone to shifting and crumbling including the situation of the chunks falling off not too long ago.
That’s not an example of “ill designed”. That’s a materials problem (and I knew that’s where you were going to try to go). The original beams were constructed elsewhere (in Washington, I think?) vs Epcot’s being done in Florida. Different water, slightly different raw material (I thought, but I may be completely wrong about that and just misremembering), different curing times, and this is the result. At the time, it was the process the Imagineers decided to use to accomplish their goals within the timeframe needed, but hindsight is 20/20. Look at ancient Roman concrete - It’s amazingly resilient, and scientists have finally figured out why. Processes change. But… There’s nothing at all wrong with the design of the Epcot monorail line.

celluloid

That’s not an example of “ill designed”. That’s a materials problem (and I knew that’s where you were going to try to go). The original beams were constructed elsewhere (in Washington, I think?) vs Epcot’s being done in Florida. Different water, slightly different raw material (I thought, but I may be completely wrong about that and just misremembering), different curing times, and this is the result. At the time, it was the process the Imagineers decided to use to accomplish their goals within the timeframe needed, but hindsight is 20/20. Look at ancient Roman concrete - It’s amazingly resilient, and scientists have finally figured out why. Processes change. But… There’s nothing at all wrong with the design of the Epcot monorail line.

You don't have to do a gotcha, you just have a semantically different take on design because you were thinking of it through the lense of WED designing the layout.

Design is an aspect throughout the manufacturing process. By design(choice) the cement was made differently. Even in hindsight, something can be ill design. I was not trying to go anywhere.

That concrete is going to continue to have more problems. It is not just the beams, but the Pylons too.

The EPCOT Line is not ancient rome(and possibly a good thing as it has less toxic situations)
but the fact remains, it is going to need to have more repairs and attention than the MK line is likely to endure in the near future.

It is lesser designed, so that is why in my opinion, I would define it as ill, becuase the same company had done it better before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom