News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

JohnD

You continue to ignore the issue I have repeatedly highlighted - the inspectors may be saints but they are still carrying out a repressive, malicious law and thus their very presence will be coercive. It is also fair to question the degree to which we can expect government employees to act in defiance of the clearly stated will of the government.
You make a good point. From the employees' perspectives I would hope they carry out the law fairly no matter the intentions of creating it. It would be in their best interests not to subvert it in either direction. Just follow the law and leave it at that.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I'm an investor and executive officer (on paper) of a reasonably well-known business back home. We're being investigated for noise complaints from our sound system after a new law was passed. Here's the problem: our sound system is both software and physically blocked from being too loud (we provided proof of this), no decibel meter was present during the inspection, and most importantly: no citizens or neighbors ever filed a noise complaint. However, myself and other owners have been openly critical of the governor there and the mayor of the city in which it happened in (both from the same party), as well as on our social media. Now we're in court over this crap.

Except unlike Disney that has seemingly endless money to fight this, we're a small business whose owners all have other jobs (or no job in my case), who need to call out favors and borrow from friends and family to pay for the legal defense.

So no, I'm not speaking from knowledge of FDOT. I'm speaking from experience dealing with retaliatory government actions.
FDOT is performing safety inspections as they were obligated to do by legislation. This entire discussion is the equivalent of arguing with the cop over the speeding ticket you got. He didn’t make the law he’s just enforcing it.

I would suggest if you want to affect change, you change the legislators, but clearly the majority of Floridians feel differently. And that’s why there’s so much whining and screaming in this thread.

lazyboy97o

You make a good point. From the employees' perspectives I would hope they carry out the law fairly no matter the intentions of creating it. It would be in their best interests not to subvert it in either direction. Just follow the law and leave it at that.
The problem though is that a good employee can be a huge benefit to the coercive intent. If you want to disrupt operations then you send the guy who is going to do a thorough job because they are going to take time and maintain the veneer of oversight.

Brian

The problem though is that a good employee can be a huge benefit to the coercive intent. If you want to disrupt operations then you send the guy who is going to do a thorough job because they are going to take time and maintain the veneer of oversight.
I'm just a bit confused. Are we to believe that DeSantis is ignorant enough to think that the mere threat of shutting down the WDW monorail system for a few random hours on 4th of July would be enough for Disney to back away from their entire company-wide global DEI program?

If not, what is the 'coercive intent' you are referencing?

I'm not of the mind that this is some kind of altruistic endeavor where they suddenly care deeply about the safety of monorail systems that operate in a "special district spanning two counties," but I fail to see how it can be effectively coercive.

lazyboy97o

I'm just a bit confused. Are we to believe that DeSantis is ignorant enough to think that the mere threat of shutting down the WDW monorail system for a few random hours on 4th of July would be enough for Disney to back away from their entire company-wide global DEI program?

If not, what is the 'coercive intent' you are referencing?

I'm not of the mind that this is some kind of altruistic endeavor where they suddenly care deeply about the safety of monorail systems that operate in a "special district spanning two counties," but I fail to see how it can be effectively coercive.
You know full well that it’s about inflicting pain on one’s enemies. It’s retribution.

tissandtully

It should be incredibly clear to anyone that this is an entirely politically motivated move designed to impact Disney's operations.

Ron DeSantis signed bill HB 1305 into law in May 2023, which specifically targets Walt Disney World's monorail by referencing "any governmentally or privately owned fixed-guideway transportation systems operating in this state which are located within an independent special district created by local act which have boundaries within two contiguous counties."

Adding the clause that the monorail can be closed for inspections is clearly a further attempt to threaten Disney's operations.

I feel very comfortable with my report on this, as I fully believe it is a case of the Florida Governor targeting Disney.
I admire your restraint in continuing to respond to those who just don't seem to get it. Also this wording is VERY specific! Like, I cannot see how people can read this any other way. I think most people can, but we've got some kind of wild ones on here lol.

lazyboy97o

That may be. That's not coercive, though. Is your position that Disney is being coerced into doing something by way of these monorail inspections?
Don’t give us this pedantic nonsense. You know full well that the underlying desire is to control. Don’t play these cutesy games that because an outcome is not achieved it somehow negates the clearly stated motives and objectives.

Brian

Don’t give us this pedantic nonsense. You know full well that the underlying desire is to control. Don’t play these cutesy games that because an outcome is not achieved it somehow negates the clearly stated motive. You’re so proud and strong, then be honest with us.
Control what, specifically? You claimed that the state has "coercive intent" by implementing this monorail inspection scheme, yet you've failed to highlight a single thing that they might force Disney to do, lest they suffer the consequences by way of the monorail system. I had taken the liberty of speculating that they might try to shut down the monorail system on a busy day, like 4th of July, but I think we can both agree that would hardly be enough to make Disney back off their DEI agenda, which spans their entire global operation. The monorail system goes 101 nearly every day at this rate, including busy days like 4th of July, with rather negligible impact to operations most days.

We are in agreement that this scheme came about as a result of the fight over LGBT issues in Florida, much like the RCID scheme. However, I fail to see any effective coercive behavior coming about from this scheme, unless you consider the possibility of enhanced safety or performance from the monorail system "coercive?" I don't, since that's a net positive, and the word "coercive" usually implies the coerced party doing something they do not wish to do, but must by force, and in this case, Disney wants a safe and efficient system as well, and has worked independently of the state to accomplish for 50+ years.

Just trying to figure out what specific acts of coercion you anticipate through this monorail inspection scheme. Feel free to clarify once you calm down.

lazyboy97o

Ok, then what acts of coercion related to the monorails do you anticipate out of the state, and what do you believe the end goal of such acts to be?
Why are you playing dumb? You know full well that the intent of all of these laws was to change Disney’s corporate governance and creative decisions. That they have not yet been effective does not change that purpose or signal that those involved have given up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom