News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

muddyrivers

Taking out the politics aspect of this story, I do wonder if bringing in outside engineers with oversight authority will help make improvements to the monorail system. It's like how management at companies sometimes won't listen to their own employees but then when hired consultants come in and make the same recommendations, suddenly management jumps to attention and starts implementing what's recommended.

Fingers crossed this results in a better monorail system for guests!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Taking out the politics aspect of this story, I do wonder if bringing in outside engineers with oversight authority will help make improvements to the monorail system. It's like how management at companies sometimes won't listen to their own employees but then when hired consultants come in and make the same recommendations, suddenly management jumps to attention and starts implementing what's recommended.

Fingers crossed this results in a better monorail system for guests!
Exactly, the partisan blowhards here seem to think that FDOT is simply a group of the governor’s storm troopers ready willing and able to be part of the Disney war. They are nonpartisan professionals that have significant experience with mass transit systems and are completely independent and apolitical.

I’d also like to know why @wdwmagic in his article put “Safety Inspections” in quotes. Do you have specific information that these are not legitimate inspections not being handled in a professional manner? Your bias is clearly showing and it’s a poor look.

Goofyernmost

I can put it in perspective by saying all of these very concerning incidents happened in the last 6 years. Not in the majority of the system's lifetime.

The trains operating now are so far outdated and the EPCOT Beam was ill designed in comparison and has its challenges catching up to it.
Might I add that we don't know what or how many were happening before it became a thing for everyone with a cell phone could become a cub reporter. If something is happening we are sure to hear about it now. And no, many things happened before the last 6 years it's just that we knew that crap happens and didn't act like someone kidnapped our grandmother every time a door sticks open or we simply just didn't hear about it. It gets fixed and we moved on. I worked in transportation for many years and I can tell you that new equipment breaks down more often than older stuff. Look how long CoP has been moving an entire ring of theaters around in a circle. When they do new technology how often does it break down until they fix the bugs that human made objects tend to have. It takes time and we don't have a good reason for it having problems so we just ignore it. The gondolas had more problems when they were new, all the attractions have a situational time of adjustment to get them working properly.

That isn't to say that the equipment isn't new, but outdated? Since there are not many places running monorails at this point they are the update. Equipment gets old and do you really believe that after millions of miles all those trains haven't been completely rebuilt over the years to the point where buying new is just throwing away money. No one is having any need to update them because except for a few locations they are not being used. Know what is being updated and used more and more around the world? Gondola's! So right now the monorails are being kept at Disney locations just because they have always been there and if Disney is given a scapegoat for completely replacing them with Gondola's, like some vengeance move by the Florida band of crazies, they will do it in a heartbeat.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Exactly, the partisan blowhards here seem to think that FDOT is simply a group of the governor’s storm troopers ready willing and able to be part of the Disney war. They are nonpartisan professionals that have significant experience with mass transit systems and are completely independent and apolitical.

I’d also like to know why @wdwmagic in his article put “Safety Inspections” in quotes. Do you have specific information that these are not legitimate inspections not being handled in a professional manner? Your bias is clearly showing and it’s a poor look.
I have no issue with the FDOT professionals.h.

And as I've asked before, does FDOT have staff experienced in monorails who would be considered competent enough to inspect them?

Goofyernmost

In all reality - this is a major mass transit system that probably should be regulated by the state.
In reality it is a mass transit/entertainment based venue totally and completley maintained and paid for by a private company and the government should have NO say in it except in the same degree that any attraction at a place like WDW would need to insure safety. Disney has deep pockets and any major loss of life from a neglected problem would be very costly. They have far more incentive to make sure that everything is safe than some government operated and controlled entity that any loss would be covered by all the taxpayers within that government.

Casper Gutman

You cannot take politics out of this situation. When the original intent of a government action is malicious and repressive, as it was in this case, any interaction springing from it is tainted (in fact, it taints any interaction between the individual and government). The threat will always be present, coercing action. It stretches credulity that all inspectors, fully aware of the laws intention and perhaps sympathetic to it, will entirely ignore the will of their superiors. Even those who do achieve total impartiality, however, will still be acting under a law intended to punish speech.

It’s also worth noting that, given the recent and repeated actions of the Florida government, there is every reason to believe that those higher up the chain of command will continue to interfere in the inspection process to achieve political goals.

I very strongly suspect the posters defending these inspections would understand all this very clearly in slightly different circumstances.

JohnD

Jacksonville FL does have one of the larger monorail systems in this country. Not sure if the state is in charge of it or not.
Not laughing at you. But the Skyway was built in the 1980s and follows along on a raised track for about a mile in downtown Jax. Not necessarily a monorail. It was dubbed the train to nowhere and is virtually riderless. FDOT can easily inspect it and not impact ridership.

You do make a point though . When built it was new so FDOT had to develop policies and procedures for inspecting it. It will be no different for the monorail. This won't be their first rodeo.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

It should be incredibly clear to anyone that this is an entirely politically motivated move designed to impact Disney's operations.

Ron DeSantis signed bill HB 1305 into law in May 2023, which specifically targets Walt Disney World's monorail by referencing "any governmentally or privately owned fixed-guideway transportation systems operating in this state which are located within an independent special district created by local act which have boundaries within two contiguous counties."

Adding the clause that the monorail can be closed for inspections is clearly a further attempt to threaten Disney's operations.

I feel very comfortable with my report on this, as I fully believe it is a case of the Florida Governor targeting Disney.

Last edited:

monothingie

Premium Member
I have no issue with the FDOT professionals. However FDOT is an executive branch agency, and the head of Florida's executive branch - Governor Ron DeSantis - has clearly shown to put partisan politics at the forefront of most decisions he's made, and has openly stated that this entire campaign against Disney is retribution for their exercising of free speech.

And as I've asked before, does FDOT have staff experienced in monorails who would be considered competent enough to inspect them?
FDOT is not political and has non partisan professionals working for it, but bad man in Tallahassee is defacto head of it so it is bad . Got it! The monorail needs oversight but it doesn’t because bad man Desantis is doing it.

How many mass transit systems does FDOT oversee or regulate in the state of Florida? I can think of at least a half dozen of the top of my head.

monothingie

Premium Member
It should be incredible clear to anyone that this is an entirely politically motivated move designed to impact Disney's operations.

Ron DeSantis signed bill HB 1305 into law in May 2023, which specifically targets Walt Disney World's monorail by referencing "any governmentally or privately owned fixed-guideway transportation systems operating in this state which are located within an independent special district created by local act which have boundaries within two contiguous counties."

Adding the clause that the monorail can be closed for inspections is clearly a further attempt to threaten Disney's operations.

I feel very comfortable with my report on this, as I fully believe it is a case of the Florida Governor targeting Disney.
Great. So why don’t you label your articles as commentary instead of news since you have clearly taken a nonobjective position.

JohnD

It should be incredible clear to anyone that this is an entirely politically motivated move designed to impact Disney's operations.

It's easy to agree on the intention of the bill. At the same time, if asked, I bet FDOT employees had no desire to be put in the middle of this. They're just state employees tasked with doing whatever is in ststute. So I humbly suggest, keep your criticism on the politicians, not the employees.

mkt

Premium Member
How many mass transit systems does FDOT oversee or regulate in the state of Florida? I can think of at least a half dozen of the top of my head.

I took the time to look it up. There are 4 monorail systems in the state, and none as extensive as WDWs. Maybe they do have a professional who can handle them.

Splash4eva

The last few years have been in the era of social media, when everything spreads across the globe in real time. That does not automatically mean things are better or worse than they were for the 45+ years before that- it only means that it's easier to learn about things that happen than it was for decades before that.
And that is bad how? Changes the facts how? Everything that was stated on what is going in is absolutely true. Heck i was on a monorail about 4-5 years ago late at night when an issue happened with the doors. It was just empty so not blasted across social media. Im sure im not the only one who has had problems either.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In an effort to try and drag this thing back to the subject at hand and the news from today. If this had been brought up as a standalone initiative due to the number of people riding on the monorail, especially after the accident that resulted in the monorail pilot's death, I would not likely have had any concerns with it. Having the NTSB involved in that investigation gave the investigation into the cause significant credibility that was to everyones advantage.

In normal times, having an external party watching out for safety isn't by its very nature a bad thing. A separate pair of eyes is rarely a bad thing, if only just to highlight gaps in procedures. Unfortunately, we are not currently in normal times with the relationship between Disney and the state, and this effort was not done to resolve a safety issue (perceived or otherwise).
This is a very good take on the situation, and I agree. Having external inspections is a good thing, but only when that is being done for the right reasons.

JohnD

As to your question, it's not like other new train systems haven't been built that FDOT had to develop procedures for inspecting. So, sure, I agree they don't have the staff now, or didn't 8 months ago when the bill was passed. It's not like they can't hire professionals who do have experience and learn the transportation system.

mkt

Premium Member
In an effort to try and drag this thing back to the subject at hand and the news from today. If this had been brought up as a standalone initiative due to the number of people riding on the monorail, especially after the accident that resulted in the monorail pilot's death, I would not likely have had any concerns with it. Having the NTSB involved in that investigation gave the investigation into the cause significant credibility that was to everyones advantage.

In normal times, having an external party watching out for safety isn't by its very nature a bad thing. A separate pair of eyes is rarely a bad thing, if only just to highlight gaps in procedures. Unfortunately, we are not currently in normal times with the relationship between Disney and the state, and this effort was not done to resolve a safety issue (perceived or otherwise).
This is the best take.

Casper Gutman

You have yet to provide proof that FDOT is operating in an unfair, arbitrary, and capricious manner. Until you can do that you have no leg to stand on.
You continue to ignore the issue I have repeatedly highlighted - the inspectors may be saints but they are still carrying out a repressive, malicious law and thus their very presence will be coercive. It is also fair to question the degree to which we can expect government employees to act in defiance of the clearly stated will of the government.

MrPromey

It's easy to agree on the intention of the bill. At the same time, if asked, I bet FDOT employees had no desire to be put in the middle of this. They're just state employees tasked with doing whatever is in ststute. So I humbly suggest, keep your criticism on the politicians, not the employees.
Did I miss something where he did otherwise?

I'm assuming I must have since so many feathers suddenly seem ruffled around here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom