News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
In my uninformed opinion, RCID should have been left alone, and the Gov. continues to make mistakes.

In my uninformed opinion, the state should not have to inspect the WDW monorails, and the Gov. is just doing this to be an annoyance to WDW. Another stupid move by the Gov. in my opinion.
The first is an opinion I mostly agree with, at least compared to what there is now.

In my opinion, the first law should have been written with two provisions: 1- RCID would be dissolved upon payment of the debt, and 2- A new district with a board comprised of "appointees" by local landowners and elected by the residents of the affected counties would be put in power, to continue providing services to the higher standard that Disney expects.

The second seems more like a fact than an opinion.

scottieRoss

So is that a No on the fun list? :(

I was discussing the industry benefits of having California-style oversight of the theme park industry in Florida, because Florida has more theme parks than California and more theme park design/manufacturing facilities than California and is the home of IAPPA as the global industry organization for... theme parks.

I'm a strong proponent of government safety oversight of theme park attractions, which stems from my even stronger feelings about that type of oversight for more common transportation like cars, trains, planes. (You don't want to know the time I spent researching the IIHS ratings before I bought my last two vehicles!)

The state of Florida, as home to so many ride system leaders, should have strong governmental oversight and inspections of not just the WDW monorails, but of all operating theme park rides at all operating theme and amusement parks. It would benefit the theme park industry as a whole, and not just in the USA but globally.
Except, Florida does not have many theme park design/manufacturing facilities (much less so many) and the fact that IAPPA is there has no bearing on ride inspections.

Rich Brownn

The first is an opinion I mostly agree with, at least compared to what there is now.

In my opinion, the first law should have been written with two provisions: 1- RCID would be dissolved upon payment of the debt, and 2- A new district with a board comprised of "appointees" by local landowners and elected by the residents of the affected counties would be put in power, to continue providing services to the higher standard that Disney expects.

The second seems more like a fact than an opinion.
The only problem is you reduce the amount of taxes (the ones paid to RCID) while adding to Orange/Osceola counties expenditures (now having to pay for roads, sewage, canals, etc.) More work with less money means those services would, of course, deteriorate over time

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The only problem is you reduce the amount of taxes (the ones paid to RCID) while adding to Orange/Osceola counties expenditures (now having to pay for roads, sewage, canals, etc.) More work with less money means those services would, of course, deteriorate over time

Realistically, the way I thought it up it, it would be to maintain most of the district's public services, and ability to tax itself for those public services - but shift permitting to the counties, and involving the residents of the impacted counties in the selection of the boardmembers.

Rich Brownn

Realistically, the way I thought it up it, it would be to maintain most of the district's public services, and ability to tax itself for those public services - but shift permitting to the counties, and involving the residents of the impacted counties in the selection of the boardmembers.
The point is, the counties really aren't impacted that much by the district - maybe by Disney itself - but I do not want the people responsible for OC's road to be responsible for Disneys!

Disstevefan1

This worries me. The fact is, the WDW monorail has a near perfect safety record for over 50 years, yes I remember the one fatal accident but that was human error and no guests were hurt.

This is all part of the battle between (you know who) and TWDC.

I would not be surprised if WDW shuts down the monorail as a response to this.

JoeCamel

Sir, this is the State of Florida. This will be a disorganized cluster.
Disney going to tell the state what the safety parameters are so the state can oversee those parameters.....
Think the state will send a delegation to Las Vegas and Disneyland for fact finding?

celluloid

This worries me. The fact is, the WDW monorail has a near perfect safety record for over 50 years, yes I remember the one fatal accident but that was human error and no guests were hurt.

This is all part of the battle between (you know who) and TWDC.

I would not be surprised if WDW shuts down the monorail as a response to this.

The last few years have been wild. Pieces of vehicles, track beams and entire doors falling off or being stuck on open durring a ride.

If that keeps up or gets worse, you have evidence the concern was more than valid.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The last few years have been wild. Pieces of vehicles, track beams and entire doors falling off or being stuck on open durring a ride.

If that keeps up or gets worse, you have evidence the concern was more than valid.

I tend to agree, even if the intentions are bad, POSSIBLY something good would come out of this. I don't believe Disney will ditch the monorail entirely as I think it would cause a negative effect on the hotel business around MK

TheIceBaron

No clue on the business model for their transit system but crossing my fingers these inspections could speed up the timeline for new monorails. I think they were also toying with the idea of expanding the monorail length and loading areas to fit more guests, so perhaps if they are forced into extensive downtime they could do a few things

tissandtully

Definitely the government that was in control of inspections for the Free Fall Tower will fix this.

celluloid

Definitely the government that was in control of inspections for the Free Fall Tower will fix this.

They were not. That is misreporting. FL department of Argiculture passed off on it opening as it was operating with standards that it was supposed to. The state actually came and investigated as well as outside firms after the private company screwed it up. The private company was in fact altering what was supposed to be operating on per agreemnet with state inspections.

Florida Department of Agriculture of Amusements is also separate from this. Irresponsible to misrepresent.

tissandtully

They were not. That is misreporting. FL department of Argiculture passed off on it opening as it was operating with standards that it was supposed to. The state actually came and investigated as well as outside firms after the private company screwed it up. The private company was in fact altering what was supposed to be operating on per agreemnet with state inspections.

Florida Department of Agriculture of Amusements is also separate from this. Irresponsible to misrepresent.
You missed the point, once again. This isn't being done out of some sudden concern for safety. It's just what they thought they could get done and punish for disagreeing with the state government. This won't fix anything.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's not misrepresenting.

It points out that inspections like this are only as good as what the process does. Notice what's lacking in the new law? Any actual standards or targets. It basically just gave the government jurisdiction without any purpose, objective, or standards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom