News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

celluloid

It's not misrepresenting.

It points out that inspections like this are only as good as what the process does. Notice what's lacking in the new law? Any actual standards or targets. It basically just gave the government jurisdiction without any purpose, objective, or standards.

Since the standards can't feasibly make Disney worse, it is not really an area of concern. It can't force them to operate it.

The Freefall incident was operating below the standards of government inspections after inspectors were off site. The company is known for being seedy and lowered the standard, unfortunately, costing life. If not for state inspectors, we would be just presuming that a child died because they were too large to fit in the attraction and you got to just be smaller.

If you think Walt Disney World is comparable to the Slingshot Group, then you would have a point.

It can be annoying and for the wrong reasons. But it does not mean the safety standards must get worse.

celluloid

“Good morning. We’re here to make sure everything with the monorail is working correctly.

So…. How does it work?”

It is funny, but that is how all state inspections go. You have mechanical and transportation system experts.

The Monorail is an awesome piece of equipment, but it is not some imitation game code that is hard to crack and takes decades of training for how it should generally safely operate.

They teach seasonal college kids to work on it all the time.

Mechanics for the monorails have been miracle workers due to lack of resources over the last couple decades, and smart guys, but it can be trained with someone who is already an expert in systems of the nature.

It is not exactly a JR line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since the standards can't feasibly make Disney worse, it is not really an area of concern.
I don't know where you drew this conclusion from... but it certainly doesn't sound like from experience with bureaucracy :)

The Freefall incident was operating below the standards of government inspections after inspectors were off site.

And the processes couldn't catch that a change with unintended consequences was made. The ride inspections would not have found the issue that caused the accident - because the inspections didn't include that kind of scrutiny. Only the post-accident investigation did because they obviously were going through with a much finer comb.

The ride inspection standards are not strong. They are basically "are you doing what the ride designer says you are supposed to be doing?"

It can be annoying and for the wrong reasons. But it does not mean the safety standards must get worse.
I think you are going places no one else is.

tissandtully

I don't know where you drew this conclusion from... but it certainly doesn't sound like from experience with bureaucracy :)

And the processes couldn't catch that a change with unintended consequences was made. The ride inspections would not have found the issue that caused the accident - because the inspections didn't include that kind of scrutiny. Only the post-accident investigation did because they obviously were going through with a much finer comb.

The ride inspection standards are not strong. They are basically "are you doing what the ride designer says you are supposed to be doing?"

Look, I think government inspections can be good and am very thankful we have them, especially after certain incidents with air travel, but man, they gotta happen for good reasons and especially by people that actually want to fix things, not some retaliatory effort that's all for show.

celluloid

Look, I think government inspections can be good and am very thankful we have them, especially after certain incidents with air travel, but man, they gotta happen for good reasons and especially by people that actually want to fix things, not some retaliatory effort that's all for show.

That is fair to not like the catalyst. Do you think that the entire group of people who will inspect this from here until it is no longer a thing or forever a thing, will not have any good intentions? In your mind it will completely, forever and completely always be for show only?

celluloid

It is odd that your big complaint is somehow more government. If inspections happen to approve and periodically. Inspectors for most things only really show up when something is wrong and found what or who is culpable of harm, damage or damages.

What you describe is more micromanaging government that needs to inspect every bolt and procedure daily. People always could do bad things and break standards.

When the piece of the monorail fell off the beam, or the doors do not open, do you think that warrants such an investigation? Maybe you don't. But it is not like it is outrageous.

tissandtully

That is fair to not like the catalyst. Do you think that the entire group of people who will inspect this from here until it is no longer a thing or forever a thing, will not have any good intentions? In your mind it will completely, forever and completely always be for show only?
It's yet to be seen, but I don't think this will fix any processes that are already broken, just my hunch.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is odd that your big complaint is somehow more government.
It's more odd that you think that is my complaint... because it's not.

If inspections happen to approve and periodically. Inspectors for most things only really show up when something is wrong and found what or who is culpable of harm, damage or damages.
I'm simply saying adding a new overlord does not do anything to change anything unless said overlord adds new value or process that was missing before.

They've not demonstrated how they plan to do that, so no I'm not going to praise how they're going to improve things, nor assume they can't harm it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom