News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Chi84

Premium Member
Agreed again.
The reason for the speeder analogy even if he claims the reasoning was being late to work, it is the ego of a lead foot, most speed increases won't really save you much time in modern work commutes. Just as the legality of it all knows they could have been having safety regulations ready to go and politically this image of a dog fight sounds really good to the voting audience.

So realistically, so we think lawyers are ready to make a case for it then and act pretty quickly?
Or will The Disney company back down again?

FL has plenty of good lawyers, that can build a case quite fast with the sort of funding in it for them here.
We keep adding to our posts after the other one has replied lol.

Lawyers don’t work quickly unless there’s a reason. If there is, the justice system should be able to handle it by way of temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions or other emergency proceedings.

lazyboy97o

This sounds a bit slippery slope. We can just as easily, if not more realistically seeing this as a safer move for transportation on Walt Disney Property and future private lines.
What other private lines? The law was specifically written to encompass only one system and the odds of another meeting its criteria are incredibly small. That you keep distorting all sorts of things to justify supporting this move is a big part of why you keep getting called out.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

In previous descriptions of the event, it was noted that an e-stop needed to be overridden to perform the task. Overriding of e-stops is a safety violation in all circumstance. If this technique is enshrined in the SOP, this is a willful violation on the part of WDW.
You cannot moved across switch tracks with the E-stop engaged. When the switch is opened to move trains, the E-stop (WaBCO) automatically engages across all tracks. In theory this is to prevent driving off an open beam, but it also prevents any train from moving across the switch. Since it would literally make monorail operations impossible, overriding the WaBCO is a necessary part of bringing trains on and off lines. In this particular case, it has to be SOP or the monorail system would not work at all. Blame Alweg for that design - its a case of being over-protective, when I heard about the fatal accident, I knew immediately it had to be while they were trying to switch tracks as its the only time the WaBCO is overridden by SOP. It's also why there's supposed to be visual confirmation of the switch being engaged.

lazyboy97o

I stated for future private lines. I never stated that there were other private lines. It was in response to something being a slippery slope concept of what could happen, good or bad, not how I actually feel. Nothing out of fact was posted. It is a dumb game for obvious reasons. Not something to waste time to get me on.

What are the other reasons since you are saying this is the big part?
What future lines? What other special district that existing within multiple counties might even consider adding fixed guideway transit? That’s the specific criteria that has to be met. A Universal monorail between the north and south campuses would not fall under state inspections. Just claiming there are other potential future systems that might be part of this is you distorting the truth because the chances of one meeting the very narrow criteria is incredibly low.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

It means something happened and it should be covered.if happens again. If a private guiderail system of any sort be it monorail or odd team this thing would be covered. This is not unique to the situation. Framed by the Governor as if he is winning or not. Laws are.always carefully worded. Annoyingly so for this reason.
Again, you are distorting the criteria. There are only a handful of places where the criteria could be met. It would not just be any future private fixed guideway transit system. Presenting future systems as a real possibility is a distortion.

Last edited:

celluloid

I won't celebrate what Desantis did here.

But I am not disatisfied about accountability for safety second checks by inspectors.

May the redundant checks never be necessary. That is always the goal with redundant checks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ayla

I will be when they're used for political purposes, like what happened with DeSantis's fellow elected partisan in Miami, Joe Carollo.

Or when they staff the new positions with people that are completely unqualified.
Like Gilzean. I hope Classe has his own attorney.

lazyboy97o

I’d be all for inspections if it was a standard and legitimate reason like they just decided it would be a good idea for periodic state inspections at all theme parks such as WDW. But that’s not why this was done and the ends do not justify the means.
You don’t understand. The means aren’t actually bad. If you ignore the original motivation. And you ignore the deliberate targeting of only one system and not a true state-wide regulation. And ignore the lack of any sort of real, related goals. And ignore how other executive departments have recently been willing to “fudge” information to achieve desired outcomes. And ignore the lack of a clear, relevant goal, then you’ve got means that are perfectly fine for an undefined end that will be beneficial and justified.

LSLS

You don’t understand. The means aren’t actually bad. If you ignore the original motivation. And you ignore the deliberate targeting of only one system and not a true state-wide regulation. And ignore the lack of any sort of real, related goals. And ignore how other executive departments have recently been willing to “fudge” information to achieve desired outcomes. And ignore the lack of a clear, relevant goal, then you’ve got means that are perfectly fine for an undefined end that will be beneficial and justified.
And pretend that no inspections ever occurred before this savior law.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Cool.
So again, State inspections, even with a bunch of wasted control reasoning, work for safety.

Now you see why you can despise the reason but not deny an extra set of eyes being safe.
With all the reporting and possibly public info, it would be fair to do a similar correlation being causation if the monorails face less downtime, get updates and feature less incidents of doors falling off, being stuck open in motion or track cracking with panels falling over EPCOT.

I don't disagree with the idea.

But implementation needs to include standards that are public and inspectors that are qualified. Otherwise, why bother?

Now my question, given how we've clearly seen DeSantis acting in bad faith this entire time, and some particular vagueness to the new regulations: do you see these inspections coming forward in good faith?

As they're written, HYPOTHETICALLY, the inspectors could shut down Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth for inspection - among many other attractions - since they:

1- Operate in a special district operating in multiple contiguous counties
2- Run on a rail
3- Transport people between two locations: separate load and unload areas.

celluloid

I don't disagree with the idea.

But implementation needs to include standards that are public and inspectors that are qualified. Otherwise, why bother?

Now my question, given how we've clearly seen DeSantis acting in bad faith this entire time, and some particular vagueness to the new regulations: do you see these inspections coming forward in good faith?

As they're written, HYPOTHETICALLY, the inspectors could shut down Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth for inspection - among many other attractions - since they:

1- Operate in a special district operating in multiple contiguous counties
2- Run on a rail
3- Transport people between two locations: separate load and unload areas.

The same can go back to shutting down someone's vehicle for their livelyhood because the mechanic the state said they had to take it to be inspected shut them down. There would need to be at the very least documented reasoning.

All the concerns can be found with state vehicle inspections of millions of individuals. This being a major company does not change that fact.

lazyboy97o

The same can go back to shutting down someone's vehicle for their livelyhood because the mechanic the state said they had to take it to be inspected shut them down. There would need to be at the very least documented reasoning.

All the concerns can be found with state vehicle inspections of millions of individuals. This being a major company does not change that fact.
The state is allowed to shut down the system at any time, of its choosing, to conduct unspecified inspections for as long as it deems necessary (and the publicly stated purpose for this authority is to cause disruptions). That’s not the same as people getting to schedule when an inspection takes place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cool.
So again, State inspections, even with a bunch of wasted control reasoning, have public studies that they are proven to work for safety.

Now even in your profession, you see why you can despise the reason but not deny an extra set of eyes being safe.
With all the reporting and possibly public info, it would be fair to do a similar correlation being causation if the monorails face less downtime, get updates and feature less incidents of doors falling off, being stuck open in motion or track cracking with panels falling over EPCOT.
But connecting dots between systems that operate under completely different conditions and expectations - is horrible form and logic.

Monorails are not put on the beam by anyone and not operated without any procedures or required upkeep.

celluloid

The state is allowed to shut down the system at any time, of its choosing, to conduct unspecified inspections for as long as it deems necessary (and the publicly stated purpose for this authority is to cause disruptions). That’s not the same as people getting to schedule when an inspection takes place.

It has to be worded that way as if there is an accident like, let's say a panel falling off into a parking lot or guest area, they would have to come in and inspect it rather than "oh well it was just fiberglass that fell so we won't shut it down to inspect."The Department of Agriculture often has similar wording.

So if this is the part you take issue with you can relax a little bit.

celluloid

But connecting dots between systems that operate under completely different conditions and expectations - is horrible form and logic.

Monorails are not put on the beam by anyone and not operated without any procedures or required upkeep.

Just because you keep your car registered, with licensed drivers and insured and a clean driving record does not exempt you from state car inspections.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom