News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Lilofan

Will DeSantis gets his oversight hands involved in today's incident? Watching Resort TV live stream parks online , Liberty Belle boat at MK broke down on the water and guests were seen being crammed into Tom Sawyer rafts that came to the rescue to Liberty Belle this afternoon. Lets see if any media coverage on this one. LB boat eventually later on made it back to the dock.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

So WDW was operating the monorail in violation of safety protocols?
If you're referring to the 1970s accident, yes although the operation was considered SOP. (You were instructed to approach the station bypassing the WaBCO Autostop until you had visual sighting of the train in the station. If it was still there, release the bypass button and the WaBCO would auto stop the train... in theory)>

Penny’s Dad

I just got back from spending a week at WDW. We drove and stoped at the rest area at the Florida line on I95 and one on the opposite side driving back. I’m not sure what type of inspections they do on rest areas but apparently not much of one if any. Both of these are in need of major upgrades. This leaves a bad impression on tourists and is where they should be concentrating their efforts rather than targeting Disney that does a good job with maintenance and inspections.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Will DeSantis gets his oversight hands involved in today's incident? Watching Resort TV live stream parks online , Liberty Belle boat at MK broke down on the water and guests were seen being crammed into Tom Sawyer rafts that came to the rescue to Liberty Belle this afternoon. Lets see if any media coverage on this one. LB boat eventually later on made it back to the dock.
He’ll sign a new law, taking responsibility for Disney watercraft as well. 😂 😭

Lilofan

I just got back from spending a week at WDW. We drove and stoped at the rest area at the Florida line on I95 and one on the opposite side driving back. I’m not sure what type of inspections they do on rest areas but apparently not much of one if any. Both of these are in need of major upgrades. This leaves a bad impression on tourists and is where they should be concentrating their efforts rather than targeting Disney that does a good job with maintenance and inspections.
I stopped visiting that welcome to FL rest stop when the free OJ samples were eliminated.

Nubs70

No - they had a operator error in the barn and the operating procedures were too lax to catch it or see the symptoms before the collision happened.

They were operating within the SOP - they however were insufficient given the combination of circumstances
In previous descriptions of the event, it was noted that an e-stop needed to be overridden to perform the task. Overriding of e-stops is a safety violation in all circumstance. If this technique is enshrined in the SOP, this is a willful violation on the part of WDW.

LittleBuford

In previous descriptions of the event, it was noted that an e-stop needed to be overridden to perform the task. Overriding of e-stops is a safety violation in all circumstance. If this technique is enshrined in the SOP, this is a willful violation on the part of WDW.
The poster you’re referring to explicitly stated, “Back in the 70s trains were operat[ed] in violation of rules (but with permission of management) to have six trains on exterior beam.” Whether he’s representing the situation accurately or not I don’t know, but the claim itself—that Disney was indeed running the monorail in violation of safety protocols at some point in the ’70s—is unambiguous.

None of this has anything to do with the current situation, of course.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No - that’s not accurate

It’s not the e-stop but the automatic blocking system… MAPO as it was called. And operating with MAPO disabled for certain operations is acceptable and was part of the SOP. It’s a technical necessity based on how the system functioned.

The issue in the pink/purple accident was multi layered… but you could simplify things by saying they were literally driving blindfolded and the fact they did that with mapo off without any other set of eyeballs is what caused them to fail to avoid the issue

celluloid

No - that’s not accurate

It’s not the e-stop but the automatic blocking system… MAPO as it was called. And operating with MAPO disabled for certain operations is acceptable and was part of the SOP. It’s a technical necessity based on how the system functioned.

The issue in the pink/purple accident was multi layered… but you could simplify things by saying they were literally driving blindfolded and the fact they did that with mapo off without any other set of eyeballs is what caused them to fail to avoid the issue

This sums it up well.

I worked in a department where the supervisor(the one who was off property when it happened) was moved to. I worked with him for a few months before I knew The fact that he was not terminated tells you that a lot of the blame of not best practices were unfairly passed to him. He was not the only one out of best practices.

Chi84

Premium Member
That makes sense. That was my point indeed.

Just because Desantis is despicable does not mean that State inspectors cannot do good with it.
Why aren’t they doing good at Universal?

We have constitutional rights in this country that shouldn’t be overlooked on the justification that something good may come from violating them.

It isn’t possible to these separate issues, which is why you’re getting the answers you’re getting. It’s not that people don’t understand.

celluloid

So if future governors use knowledge obtained from DeSantis’ retaliation against Disney’s free speech to someday retaliate against Universal by ordering safety inspections because of a law they oppose, how is that not encouraging authoritarianism?

This sounds a bit slippery slope. We can just as easily, if not more realistically seeing this as a safer move for transportation on Walt Disney Property and future private lines.

Desantis claims this is why he is doing it the same way someone tells the officer they were speeding because they are running late to a work meeting.

No one should really believe it, but the person knows it makes them look good for their audience. The safety issues can easily justify it. The claim of retaliation makes him a egotistical bozo, like many. It does not mean that is actually what justified it. He only needs sadly a bunch of voters to agree that is what he made happen.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
This sounds a bit slippery slope. We can just as easily, if not more realistically seeing this as a safer move for transportation on Walt Disney Property.

Desantis claims this is why he is doing it the same way someone tells the officer they were speeding because they are running late to a work meeting.

No one really believes it, but the person knows it makes them look good for their audience.
The speeder shouldn’t get away with it; nor should DeSantis.

There’s a reason it’s so difficult to analogize to what happened here.

celluloid

The speeder shouldn’t get away with it; nor should DeSantis.
Agreed again.
The reason for the speeder analogy even if he claims the reasoning was being late to work, it is the ego of a lead foot, most speed increases won't really save you much time in modern work commutes. Just as the legality of it all knows they could have been having safety regulations ready to go and politically this image of a dog fight sounds really good to the voting audience.

So realistically, so we think lawyers are ready to make a case for it then and act pretty quickly?
Or will The Disney company back down again?

FL has plenty of good lawyers, that can build a case quite fast with the sort of funding in it for them here.

Last edited:

celluloid

So your argument is that it’s a coincidence that this legislation happened now, years into the administration? Despite the statements of the governor and legislators? Despite the incredibly clear pattern of behavior? Despite no particular recent issue to inspire the legislation?

Look, just admit the governors actions aren’t a dealbreaker for you. You’re absolutely within your rights to do so. Just stop with the absurd spin.

It is that campaigners know how to make the razzle dazzle of this exchange the sound of retaliation because they know much of their audience are suckers who want a dog fight.

Again, you must gloss over my posts because I don't condone any of what is being done.

That goes for Disney company leadership too, who backed down on this like we don't want anyone to and here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom