News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Squishy

So on the wild chance this is implemented then TWDC no longer needs monorail inspectors and CFTOD/FDOT does - so same people?
The way he's acting I wouldn't be surprised if they start picking at every single detail and say it needs to be shutdown due to safety concerns.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So on the wild chance this is implemented then TWDC no longer needs monorail inspectors and CFTOD/FDOT does - so same people?
uhh... just because you are regulated doesn't mean you stop doing your own work.

Disney has the same internal needs it had before. It will just have new oversight and potentially new standards to meet in the future.

Squishy

uhh... just because you are regulated doesn't mean you stop doing your own work.

Disney has the same internal needs it had before. It will just have new oversight and potentially new standards to meet in the future.
Desantis will make sure those "new standards" are set to max, he's going to try anyway to inconvenience the company at this point.

Disone

I don't disagree with the idea.

But implementation needs to include standards that are public and inspectors that are qualified. Otherwise, why bother?

Now my question, given how we've clearly seen DeSantis acting in bad faith this entire time, and some particular vagueness to the new regulations: do you see these inspections coming forward in good faith?

As they're written, HYPOTHETICALLY, the inspectors could shut down Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth for inspection - among many other attractions - since they:

1- Operate in a special district operating in multiple contiguous counties
2- Run on a rail
3- Transport people between two locations: separate load and unload areas.
Better example.... The Walt Disney World Railroad. Operates and a district that happens to be in two counties that are continuous. Check. Runs on a rail. Check. Transports between two locations. Definitely check.

Also would be noteworthy to mention that Peter Pan's flight is in fact a monorail. Also with a separate load and unload station.

WDWFanRay

He's showing all his cards now, and hoping Disney folds before he is forced to actually play them.
How does Disney fold? I think Disney is pretty much out of loop on this. They had special privileges setup in the 60’s and were able to stay under the radar for decades. They should’ve kept their head down.

MagicHappens1971

As usual, you missed the point. The question is, How does Disney fold? What capitulation can Disney do to stop this? I think it’s out of their hands.
My point was, as we've already mentioned. It is out of Disney's hands, they filed suit in federal court. And there's no reason for them to "fold". They spoke up about something they felt strongly about, and are being punished for it.

It would be like if I went to a protest against police brutality and then the local police department launched a targeted campaign against me. Why would I fold?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
What’s the federal government’s power in Florida? States rights. They might as well sue in California.
The US Constitution is literally the law of the land. Once again, the supremacy clause of the constitution - the same document where the tenth amendment IS about states' rights - says that the constitution and federal law go above state laws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom