News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Trauma

Well that is exactly what happened with the appointment of the board of supervisors (particularly with Bridget Ziegler). Why would this be any different?
It’s a safety inspection not a board of supervisors.

Do we think DeSantis himself will be down there inspecting beams?

This seems like a lot of hyperventilating about a safety inspection that will likely shut down the monorail a couple hours twice a year.

MagicHappens1971

It’s a safety inspection not a board of supervisors.

Do we think DeSantis himself will be down there inspecting beams?

This seems like a lot of hyperventilating about a safety inspection that will likely shut down the monorail a couple hours twice a year.
Do we not think DeSantis himself is instructing the board to do what they are doing?

Why is it unrealistic to think that the governor won't be appointing the inspectors? Why is it unrealistic to think he won't demand they "take their time" on these inspections, and that they "do frequent inspections"?

celluloid

No, they screwed up. Note not all the seats had incorrectly adjusted sensors - only 2. At some point work was done and done incorrectly. Neither the operator, nor an of the state's oversight processes identified the mistake.
Exactly. Again, that happened due to ride operator changing things. Not how the ride was designed to be operated by manufacturer as agreed upon by the state. Sometime after that opening inspection and four months it changed. Not the state's fault. The operators made the mistake that cost a life. The Slingshot group, notoriously known for being poor in operations and safety infractions.

It is odd that you claim that inspectors miss things so much but will have every infraction against Disney. So the states inspections are not good, but for some sabotage reason against Disney, they are going to be too good every single time.

Touch grass.

I hope this goes onto the Skyliner next if they keep having collisions and errors at the rate they do for its short amount of years of operation.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Every action he has taken thus far has been passed through the legislature. In other words, through the normal democratic process.

Meddling in the inspections is not the normal democratic process. It would require navigating through multiple layers of state bureaucracy, creating a public records paper trail along the way, and likely violating the law as well. Directing public officials to commit acts of malfeasance is way different than signing a law the legislature passed.

Plus, it would give Disney another instance of retaliation to add to their complaint.
You do realize that state legislatures in America have a history of trampling rights with supermajority margins in states with one-party rule?

Legislatures can for one, pass laws that are later found unconstitutional by the courts or otherwise authoritarian like in this case where it's retribution for exercising free speech, and two, gerrymandered to an extreme that I'd hardly even call the legislature democratic.

Given that RCID's replacement was approved by the legislature and then stacked with DeSantis loyalists of the same party without any experience in running a municipality, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there's a real chance the inspections turn out the same.

It always was and still is about retribution.

Last edited:

Trauma

Do we not think DeSantis himself is instructing the board to do what they are doing?

Why is it unrealistic to think that the governor won't be appointing the inspectors? Why is it unrealistic to think he won't demand they "take their time" on these inspections, and that they "do frequent inspections"?
Well then I guess you better get used to the busses.

😀

But we both know that everything will be fine and the monorails will be running as usual, unless there truly is a massive safety issue Disney has not addressed.

Disone

Every action he has taken thus far has been passed through the legislature. In other words, through the normal democratic process.

Meddling in the inspections is not the normal democratic process. It would require navigating through multiple layers of state bureaucracy, creating a public records paper trail along the way, and likely violating the law as well. Directing public officials to commit acts of malfeasance is way different than signing a law the legislature passed.

Plus, it would give Disney another instance of retaliation to add to their complaint.
They already do. In any public transportation system in the state of Florida, they don't shut down the public transportation system to inspect it.

Casper Gutman

You do realize that state legislatures have a history in America of trampling rights with supermajority margins in states with one-party rule.

Legislatures can for one, pass laws that are unconstitutional or otherwise authoritarian like in this case where it's retribution for exercising free speech, and two, gerrymandered to an extreme that I'd hardly even call the legislature democratic.
And if those laws are ruled unconstitutional, the executive can simply ignore the ruling, as Florida has recently done. We have found, over the last decade, how much of our mode of government and, particularly, it’s checks and balances, depend on some degree of good faith. When bad faith is not only allowed but applauded, the system begins to fall apart very quickly.

MagicHappens1971

Well then I guess you better get used to the busses.

😀

But we both know that everything will be fine and the monorails will be running as usual, unless there truly is a massive safety issue Disney has not addressed.
Don't speak for me, because I don't personally feel that "everything will be fine and the monorails will be running as usual". So we will find out in time.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
And if those laws are ruled unconstitutional, the executive can simply ignore the ruling, as Florida has recently done. We have found, over the last decade, how much of our mode of government and, particularly, it’s checks and balances, depend on some degree of good faith. When bad faith is not only allowed but applauded, the system begins to fall apart very quickly.
It's horribly tragic indeed. My largest fear to be honest.

In the end, policy changes over time, and the pendulum swings back and forth, but it's important to even be able to have those debates no matter the political landscape.

What's exceptionally hard to come back from is democratic backsliding, unfortunately, and for anyone paying attention, while our government is quite resilient, it's also most obviously headed in that direction.

Brian

No, because every major media outlet in the state of Florida and nationally (save for Fox News) is routinely searching through public records for any evidence of DeSantis doing just that. Some editors would kill a man for a chance to write a headline like: "Puppet Master: DeSantis Caught Redhanded Directing Disney Special District Board"

Casper Gutman

Don't speak for me, because I don't personally feel that "everything will be fine and the monorails will be running as usual". So we will find out in time.
That’s just because you aren’t willing to pretend the last three years in Florida and ten years nationally haven’t happened. If you simply imagine it’s still 2011 or so, it’s pleasantly easy to pretend everything is “normal.”

MagicHappens1971

No, because every major media outlet in the state of Florida and nationally (save for Fox News) is routinely searching through public records for any evidence of DeSantis doing just that. Some editors would kill a man for a chance to write a headline like: "Puppet Master: DeSantis Caught Redhanded Directing Disney Special District Board"
So then why didn’t the Puppet Master randomly selected the board? Instead of installing his cronies?

Casper Gutman

His administration was just caught falsifying a significant medical report. How much air time did that get, and how much did it hurt him?

Again, it ain’t 2011.

Stripes

Premium Member
I submitted a public records request over 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back whatsoever.

MagicHappens1971

Because the thing about conspiracy theorists, is they are never satisfied. They would then question how random anything is.
It’s not a conspiracy.
Bridget Zeigler and her husband have both made donations to DeSantis’ campaign, and her husband is the leader of the FL Republican Party.
Martin Garcia donated $50,000 to DeSantis campaign, and serves on the board.

I could go on, it doesn’t need to be a conspiracy, DeSantis openly stated he is doing all of this to punish Disney, so of course he would choose his cronies. Especially one like Zeigler who is an advocate for the Dont Say Gay bill and other causes, like book banning.

Brian

So then why didn’t the Puppet Master randomly selected the board? Instead of installing his cronies?
Selecting individuals he knows are ideologically aligned with him is not the same thing as directing their every move on an ongoing basis after they've been installed. The former is what every public sector executive in the country does.

MagicHappens1971

Selecting individuals he knows are ideologically aligned with him is not the same thing as directing their every move on an ongoing basis after they've been installed.
“When you lose your way, you've got to have people that are going to tell you the truth,” DeSantis said about Disney. “I think all of these board members very much would like to see the type of entertainment that all families can appreciate.”

Okay, so he chose people who he knew would act the way he would if he were on the board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom