News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Trauma

I don’t see how other Floridians feel changes my opinion? Also there’s a difference between liking DeSantis and supporting this Disney feud, for those who were polled. Not like the GOP has many options, one of their candidates just got indicted on 34 different counts and the other is fighting with a mouse.
This was a poll of all Floridians and had nothing to do with presidential candidates.

Simply do you like the job DeSantis is doing.

Seems most people in Florida approve and that number is growing.

MagicHappens1971

This was a poll of all Floridians and had nothing to do with presidential candidates.

Simply do you like the job DeSantis is doing.

Seems most people in Florida approve and that number is growing.
The number has gone up and down. The title for the page where you got this information says “DESANTIS MORE POPULAR THAN TRUMP OR BIDEN”.

Remember in the other thread when you said you don’t know anyone who likes The Last Jedi? I’m a Floridian who doesn’t know anyone who supports DeSantis. Does that make this poll less reliable? No. But did this poll survey every Floridian, no. And as the poll shows, his approval has gone up and down, like any other politician.
IMG_0203.jpeg

Link to the full poll: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000187-4a1a-d754-adef-6b7eed270000

Figgy1

The number has gone up and down. The title for the page where you got this information says “DESANTIS MORE POPULAR THAN TRUMP OR BIDEN”.

Remember in the other thread when you said you don’t know anyone who likes The Last Jedi? I’m a Floridian who doesn’t know anyone who supports DeSantis. Does that make this poll less reliable? No. But did this poll survey every Floridian, no. And as the poll shows, his approval has gone up and down, like any other politician.
View attachment 714416
Link to the full poll: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000187-4a1a-d754-adef-6b7eed270000
I saw a poll earlier today showing Desantis 50% Disney 52% taken in Florida this week

Brian

It’s immaterial. No good can come of governmental retaliation against free speech.

The bill creates the threat, and the THREAT IS THE POINT.
I disagree. While it is unlikely, given DeSantis' public statements, let's say that they get some qualified inspectors on the job and a safety issue is identified with the monorail. Instead of embarking on a full-blown PR assault against Disney, the state merely hands the report to Disney's engineers and says "We found this. Kindly address it within 30 days." No malicious shutdowns, no mafia shakedowns; just a normal government inspection identifying an area of concern.

This is not to say that there are outstanding safety issues which Disney has either not identified or refused to act upon, nor am I naive enough to believe that this is the most likely outcome, again, given DeSantis' public statements. My only point in bringing up this hypothetical is to illustrate that there can indeed, and ironically, be good that comes of government retaliation against free speech.

mikejs78

Premium Member
would you expect for him to select people at random,

No, I'd expect him to select people who had relevant experience in land management as the law itself recommended.

If Biden has an opening for an appellate court judge, do you think he's going to go asking around the Heritage Foundation for some ideas?

No, but he'd pick people who had passed the bar.

Brian

Its like you aren't listening to anything those people say in the roles or at their press conferences... they literally talk about the govenor's goals and how they will aid or implement them.
That's different from full blown coordination with, or as the member I was responding to suggested, doing the bidding of the governor with him directing every move.

Trauma

View attachment 714416
Kinda looks to me like since July 2020 it has only gone up.

My point is politicians do what they think will get them elected.

DeSantis will be best friends with Disney the second public opinion changes.

This is every politician.

It’s great that Disney is taking this to court and they should if they feel they have been wronged.

They should have just taken this to the court of public opinion and DeSantis would have gone away with his tail between his legs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have we gotten any clarification about how the bill mischaracterized the “special district”? If the wording is wrong, how can this even go into effect?
because even once it's signed into law - it is still a law until someone challenges it in court. And to challenge it will generally wait until it's tried to be enforced in some way.

And it's going to take time before the state even defines what these requirements will be. The law basically just scoped the FDOT to put this in their purview and define standards for the process. None of which has been done. None of which will cause conflict until after all that is done and someone tries to use it.

Brian

I highly doubt that there is no coordination.
There may be, but as I said earlier in the thread, the coordination would be subject to public record, and I'm confident there are reporters chomping at the bit to find them. Heck, even if he went to meet with them in person over lunch, it would likely be part of his daily itinerary, which is also public record. Until it's proven, I don't think it's fair to assume the governor or his staff are actively managing the board members.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's different from full blown coordination with, or as the member I was responding to suggested, doing the bidding of the governor with him directing every move.
What do you want? The watergate tapes of their discussions?

You literally have both sides telling you in public their intent and intent to coordinate... to believe this is just some coincidence of the universe is nothing but putting your head in the sand.

MagicHappens1971

There may be, but as I said earlier in the thread, the coordination would be subject to public record, and I'm confident there are reporters chomping at the bit to find them. Heck, even if he went to meet with them in person over lunch, it would likely be part of his daily itinerary, which is also public record. Until it's proven, I don't think it's fair to assume the governor or his staff are actively managing the board members.
You don’t think at the bare minimum, Christian Ziegler (head of the FL Republican Party) passes along requests (from DeSantis) to his wife?
IMG_0208.jpeg

Brian

No. That is precisely how authoritarian governments grow and are normalized - they argue for the “good results” of their violations of fundamental principles.
I have little doubt that Disney will prevail on most, if not all of their demands of their lawsuit. The monorail issue is yet another instance they can point to as a means of bolstering their already solid case.

More importantly than ending the retaliation, and likely reversing what has already taken place, it will send the message that the retaliatory behavior DeSantis exhibited is not acceptable in the U.S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom