News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

lazyboy97o

No, I'm saying that there is a very simple solution to the antics of this governor, at least as it pertains to monorails. That's it.
You just made a false equivalency between a weather delay and the state shutting down the monorail as retaliation. It’s not the first time either.

Casper Gutman

I would think falsifying an inspection report for something pertaining to public safety and mass transit would but illegal.

These “inspectors” hate Disney so much they are willing to suffer legal consequences?

I think you are a little into conspiracy theory land with this.
No need to lie. A motivated inspector can always find a violation. This is particularly true if the regulations have been written in broad, vague terms intended to create ambiguity.

But as other posters have pointed out, there are many ways to leverage this law. Heck, it needn’t be subtle or clever. In the last year the administration in question has been caught falsifying one very significant report and, in another case, burying an inspection that found no violations and taking punitive actions against the target anyway.

Brian

You just made a false equivalency between a weather delay and the state shutting down the monorail as retaliation. It’s not the first time either.
It's not a false equivalency when the solution to the problem, at least as it pertains to guest impact, is the same.

This is a thread about the monorails. There's ~950 pages about DeSantis and how bad he is in the RCID thread. We really don't need this to be another bash session.

lazyboy97o

It's not a false equivalency when the solution to the problem, at least as it pertains to guest impact, is the same.
Yes it is because the underlying cause of the issue is significantly different. Just as it would be ridiculous for someone to claim a monorail beam failing is no different than a weather delay because they can just run some more busses. The underlying issue is incredibly relevant.

MagicHappens1971

Perhaps it's improved since I left Disney. At the time when I was still working there (a few years ago now), there were shutdowns fairly regularly.
I can't attest to how long the monorail typically operates/ goes down. But I did a CP for 9 months last year, and have spent the better part of the past two and a half years at the parks, and have personally only experienced the monorail being "down" maybe twice at most. I'd estimate probably at minimum of 90 trips to just the MK in that timeframe.

This is a thread about the monorails. There's ~950 pages about DeSantis and how bad he is in the RCID thread. We really don't need this to be another bash session.
Okay issues with the monorail have been documented, won't argue that. But a state inspection can't stop the weather delays you just mentioned.

DeSantis is just as relevant here, since this is again his malicious doing.

Casper Gutman

So you are suggesting we are going to have the monorail shut down once a week for 8 hour inspections ?
The threat will exist. That’s what matters. It’s a pattern with this administration: sensationalist rhetoric and vague laws combine to create a threat that causes the desired action, but the administration can deny its responsibility if it’s advantageous.

celluloid

uhhh... the state inspection didn't figure it out.. the post accident investigation figured it out (which was also outsourced). The ride had been inspected by the state and found to be fine... just 4 months earlier. The state inspection process was not in depth enough to catch the flaw because the state inspection process isn't really designed to. The state inspections are more about checking compliance to published processes and standards.

The Icon accident isn't a praise for state oversight at all - if anything it should remind people the state isn't overseeing every step, the inspections are designed to be ensuring the operator is doing everything they are supposed to be doing.

The ride itself did not have a malfunction. Again, the operation had overridden how it was supposed to be operated. That was the Slingshot group ownership lying about how they would operate it. They modified the seats. The state is far from perfect, but it was a good thing to have as a part of the investigation.

The state inspecting the monorails may not prevent doors stuck open during course, or the pieces falling off, and it near certainly not likely prevent an accident like the 2009 monorail collision that was a tragic operations error. As it varied from SoP

However, an extra set of eyes will certainly not make the doors staying open and pieces falling off to guest areas more likely. Unless we are going to start claiming sabotage now as the next conspiracy theory.

Trauma

Well as ridiculous as that sounds, I wouldn't put anything past this governor.
I appreciate your distaste for the governor. I have similar strong feelings about other politicians.

However I think you might be letting your distaste for him cloud the reality of the situation.

MagicHappens1971

I appreciate your distaste for the governor. I have similar strong feelings about other politicians.

However I think you might be letting your distaste for him cloud the reality of the situation.
I have strong feelings about other politicians as well, they're not really relevant here though. But how can you be so ignorant to what he has already done and said?

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is ridiculous and you know it.
You mean like sending letters to the ABC board calling for investigations because you don't like the stage show they put on...
or maybe writing state laws that qualify what's should be regulated by defining it as "operating in this state which are located within an independent special district created by local act which have boundaries within two contiguous counties."...
or maybe cheating what is put into a special session of the state house by changing the session THE MORNING OF to try to surprise your competition?

Yes, this is all ridiculous and you shouldn't discount the way this group will operate when given the space to do so.

Disone

I think Disney will be able to fight this law the same way they've already pushed back with their lawsuit. The law is ordered so that would basically pertain to only the monorail system at the Walt Disney World resort. " Any elevated rail system that lies within a special tax district that lays over two counties"

Clearly targeting as this is not vague at all it is very specific to the monorail out the Walt Disney World resort. Additionally they put in the claws where they can shut down the system to inspect it. Never mind that state inspectors don't shut down any other rail system in the entire state, be a tri-rail in south FL which does run 7 days a week. And they don't shut down sunrail but they could get away with saying they do the inspections on its off days. Because it does have off days. But are they also going to apply these inspections to bright line? Or they can shut down bright line for inspections. Why just this one elevated railed system that lies within a special tax district that happens delay within two counties? Just that one they can shut down. Not any of the others?

celluloid

He wrote a book in which he time and time again referenced his triumphs against "woke" Disney.

Yeah, PR machine is different from reality. It is annoying and I can understand your dislike for it. Its blah blah noise from an ego.

But it is not the reality of inspections.

The same way Bob Iger brags that they always take great care of their CMs. We know that is not always true.

MagicHappens1971

Yeah, PR machine is different from reality. It is annoying and I can understand your dislike for it. Its blah blah noise.

But it is not the reality of inspections.

The same way Bob Iger brags that they always take great care of their CMs. We know that is not always true.
It's not "blah blah noise".

The reality is that he "took over" RCID in retaliation against Disney. Effectively weaponizing his governmental powers, what would stop him from doing the same with these inspections?
1683164776760.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ride itself did not have a malfunction. Again, the operation had overridden how it was supposed to be operated.

No, they screwed up. Note not all the seats had incorrectly adjusted sensors - only 2. At some point work was done and done incorrectly. Neither the operator, nor an of the state's oversight processes identified the mistake.

That was the Slingshot group ownership lying about how they would operate it. They modified the seats. The state is far from perfect, but it was a good thing to have as a part of the investigation.

Sure, but this is not what you claimed - that the state inspection somehow was responsible for the identifying the problem. An accident investigation did - not regular state oversight which is what is being discussed here.

The state inspecting the monorails may not prevent doors stuck open during course, or the pieces falling off, and it near certainly not likely prevent an accident like the 2009 monorail collision that was a tragic operations error. As it varied from SoP

However, an extra set of eyes will certainly not make the doors staying open and pieces falling off to guest areas more likely. Unless we are going to start claiming sabotage now as the next conspiracy theory.
No one is saying the state inspections will make safety worse - but they will speak up when people claim the inspections are doing things they aren't.

Brian

what would stop him from doing the same with these inspections?
Every action he has taken thus far has been passed through the legislature. In other words, through the normal democratic process.

Meddling in the inspections is not the normal democratic process. It would require navigating through multiple layers of state bureaucracy, creating a public records paper trail along the way, and likely violating the law as well. Directing public officials to commit acts of malfeasance is way different than signing a law the legislature passed.

Plus, it would give Disney another instance of retaliation to add to their complaint.

Disone

He wrote a book about monorail inspections?

He is more prolific than I imagined.
You know exactly what he meant.

You're trying to sell that DeSantis is genuinely concerned about the public good?

As clearly DeSantis didn't even know about the Reedy Creek improvement district until recently I'm sure didn't even know about the monorails at the Walt Disney World resort right?

He only recently discovered that these monorails are transporting millions of people per year with Florida.

Completely unrelated and solely Coincidentally the Fl legislature so happen to pass legislation that all elevated rail system that existed within any special taxing district that happens to lay across two adjoining counties, would now be required to be inspected by the state. Additionally the state can and will shut down said system to do the inspection even though the state does not shut down any other system of public transit in the state of Florida for the purposes of inspecting it. But that's neither here nor there.

Strictly coincidentally the Walt Disney World monorail system happens to qualify under this brand new law that DeSantis had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of. He will of course however sign it just out of the benefit of the greater good for the public at large. What a saint. What a man. What an absolute hero. Top Gov indeed.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom