deleted

articos

Was it considered to remove it entirely with the last refurb? Or did they truly think guests would jump to the death in fear when the car rotated?
It was not considered to be removed, and I’m doubtful it ever will be. Legal and safety would win this. There would be a lot of discussion in even trying to move it so it flows better within the narration and story. Guests try to stand up, they try to jump seats, they try to move car to car, they try to take pictures, you name it. They need to stay in their seat during rotation and descent or there is a real danger to both themselves and the guests around/below them. Even something falling from a pocket accidentally is a hazard during descent. And there’s a danger they could get caught during rotation. The danger isn’t they will jump, it’s that they will be standing or doing something dangerous when the car rotates and starts the descent. Guests have a bad habit of trying to do dumb things in the top of the dome. The announcement serves as a verbal cue in advance.

ABQ

It was not considered to be removed, and I’m doubtful it ever will be. Legal and safety would win this. There would be a lot of discussion in even trying to move it so it flows better within the narration and story. Guests try to stand up, they try to jump seats, they try to move car to car, they try to take pictures, you name it. They need to stay in their seat during rotation and descent or there is a real danger to both themselves and the guests around/below them. Even something falling from a pocket accidentally is a hazard during descent. And there’s a danger they could get caught during rotation. The danger isn’t they will jump, it’s that they will be standing or doing something dangerous when the car rotates and starts the descent. Guests have a bad habit of trying to do dumb things in the top of the dome. The announcement serves as a verbal cue in advance.
Thanks. If they choose to retain the video screens in car, it would seem like they could have used it to display a message at that time, rather than the poor audio. As others mentioned, there's no warning when the doom buggy turns around and descends, though it's a much shorter descent.

clarabellej

I thought this was worthy of its own thread. @marni1971 shared this little tidbit in the Spaceship in Spaceship Earth thread:

This can be the official thread for the rumored SSE update so the info isn't buried in other threads for members to miss.
I think the refurb will just be something along the lines of what was done at Carrousel of Progress at MK. The main change was just some updated technology at the end of the ride. I am sure things were “spruced up” too.

clarabellej

It's been 11 years since the Dench refurb, hasn't it? 5 more years would put it to last 16 years - almost 2 decades. What's the longest one narrator has been in SSE? I can't think of any that have been there for 16 years - Irons I think was 13 (94-07).
I love Judi Dench’s voice. The last time I rode, I chose to hear the narrative in Portuguese just to change things up and forgot the whole thing would be that way. It did not feel right without hearing Judi. Very soothing.

trainplane3

I can only imagine the kind of things that have been caught on camera in a long, dark ride...

But on a real note, it's great to hear some input from someone within.

EPICOT

hsnmtg.jpg

Honestly, I think SSE needs these babies. Can't be too careful with guests these days.

If they must keep the screens, please use them for something useful. Like closed captions.

The theme should return to what was originally intended, communication, and the finale should actually be moving.

Yes!! This ride needs closed captioning. My mother, who is deaf, love the ride but missed out on so much. When they put the screens in, I had high hopes but nope. :(

PaulZ

I hate the ending of SSE. And the sad part is it’s the only part that completely “dates” the ride. The camera never even takes my photo correctly so if I show up on the video at all it’s all deformed. I hope they get rid of it. At this point I’d rather the ride down be the music and nothing else over that video jabbering.

geekza

NOOO, it is perfect as it is! I am thanking the Phoenicians and can't wait to hear Dame Judy's narration again in November.
I'm just curious if you ever experienced or saw video of the prior incarnation(s) that had things to look at besides a video screen. I don't mind Judi Dench, but the dome section and the descent were so much more satisfying in the past.

clarabellej

Couldn’t we just keep the narration and hear it from our seat back, without all the stuff on the screen, which IMO is a distraction anyway.

The novelty of having the guest’s picture taken has grown old.

The only problem is, then guests lose the chance to customize the narration’s language.

Honestly, I think that is fine. We are an English speaking country. Not to step on any toes. I live in a part of Texas where everywhere you go, things are translated to Spanish. I understand Spanish as well, but couldn’t help note that in Madrid’s Prado Museum, nothing was translated for tourists who visit from far and wide.

Just a thought.

It would be kind of nice to travel thru time on SSE w/o the screens.

I guess they help fill in any gaps.

Kind of like it when we get backed up in there and we can just lean back and look at the “starlight.”

gustaftp

I like to believe that during the "Spaceship in Spaceship Earth" glory years he lead a top secret "mission impossible-esque" mission to the top of SSE and ever since Disney has just accepted that they have to tell him everything or else.
But that's not a mission or urbex, that's clearly just..... trespassing .... no matter how you try to justify it! The worst crime in the world! ;););)

180º

Just as problematic as the content of the current descent is the tone. Coming after a long buildup of drama and reverence, and the transcendence of the 180 top, the goofiness of the descent kills the mood completely. Broughton’s cue for the planetarium overlook is rapturous. Then, in the descent, the music devolves to suit the tone of a sitcom. Let alone the flash animation and hammy narration. It’s not just wrong, but in context, it’s incredibly cynical. The tone would have worked for a ride like World of Motion, which was very tongue-in-cheek and had an emphasis on fun. But for a ride that is so sincere, hopeful, and dignified, a goofy ending is just bleak.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes!! This ride needs closed captioning. My mother, who is deaf, love the ride but missed out on so much. When they put the screens in, I had high hopes but nope. :(
The screens cause too much ambient light during the ride. Even when not displaying anything.

They were originally on but blank when not displaying anything. They were reprogrammed to physically power down after the photo op and come back on for the descent.

trainplane3

The screens cause too much ambient light during the ride. Even when not displaying anything.

They were originally on but blank when not displaying anything. They were reprogrammed to physically power down after the photo op and come back on for the descent.
They're LCD right? I'd imagine if they switched to LED or OLED then the screens being black wouldn't cast any light at all, blank screen=black pixels=pixels actually turned off even though they're on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom