deleted

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Anybody hear about the recent Jim Hill tweets?
I've sort of rearranged them from oldest to newest top to bottom so you can read it in order, but keep in mind that twitter runs in the opposite order. Just check the times on the posts. These are from an OrangeGrove55 video about the same discussion and you can see that Jim Hill has tweeted in reply to him.

Summary:
Possible relocation of star tours and buzz ride systems, freeing up tomorrowland.
Spiderman Pendulum.
Nothing is off the table, nothing in hollywoodland is safe, not even the hyperion theater.
Desire for the project to be as grand as Galaxy's Edge.

Freeing up Tomorrowland... for what?

WRT: having stuff in DCA to alleviate the SWL crowds. Great idea if it was started two years ago...

TP2000

Jimmy is so adorable. Bless him, he still thinks he's credible. :inlove:

When you live in New Hampshire, you have to do something.

WRT: having stuff in DCA to alleviate the SWL crowds. Great idea if it was started two years ago...

Exactly. I'm still pretty confident the neighbor lady is correct when she says the Avengers Coaster E Ticket was sent back to the drawing boards and the entire land that was supposed to be announced at 2015 D23 Expo and then get started two years ago is still stuck in re-re-thinking early development stages.

They could install a Spiderman spinner inside the old Bugs theater in two years, if they get started this fall, to open for Christmas 2020. But that's not going to help for 2019 or 2020. Star Wars Land at Disneyland will wreak havoc on the Resort 11 months from now, and they apparently have no real plan to deal with that except for half-butted attempts at making more stroller parking areas (Fantasyland) and opening up old full service restaurants as Instagram Food Courts (Adventureland).

But cute that Mr. Hill thinks a giant Marvel Land that won't open in DCA until 2021 at the very earliest, likely 2022 or later, could somehow help with Star Wars crowds in 2019-2020. :rolleyes:

TwilightZone

Freeing up Tomorrowland... for what?
Subs13.jpg

Hopefully this. A girl can dream

Disney Irish

Premium Member
These tweets are everything in the kitchen sink.. Still fun to read and refreshing to imagine that Disney/Chapek would take marvel land so seriously because the rest of the evidence tells me otherwise... Mission: Breakout, the size of a bug's land, how the plans seem to have changed just because they couldn't get their way with an unrelated bridge...

You realize that "unrelated" bridge, as you call it, was to open up the current transportation hub into more expansion room for DCA.

So I think its very related, as it really screwed with their plans for DCA expansion with a large footprint for Marvel. So now they have to redo the plans to fit inside the current DCA borders. Which means things that may not have been on the chopping block before, Hyperion, are now very much in play. After the EGW project failed, I think I even said I thought Hyperion would be going to make the existing area larger for Marvel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would be smart of Disney to open the land with an Ant Man shooter instead of just food and meet n greets. I’ve been saying it would be very odd to open the land without one new attraction (and a net loss of 4) and I think they I think they could easily open the land with Ant man in 2 years.

A Mavel Land with a roster of GOTG:MB, Spider-Man pendulum, Avengers Coaster, Iron Man simulator and Ant Man shooter would be impressive but I’d bet that 3 of the 4 new rides is the max we’d see (most likely 2). I would be surprised if they moved the Star Tours simulators instead of just retheming them and giving people a good reason to move to the east side of the park away from SWL... unless of course they are planning to demo the TL buildings in a major TL overhaul.

Who knows, our 4D Ant-Man idea might be coming after all.... :cool:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly. I'm still pretty confident the neighbor lady is correct when she says the Avengers Coaster E Ticket was sent back to the drawing boards and the entire land that was supposed to be announced at 2015 D23 Expo and then get started two years ago is still stuck in re-re-thinking early development stages.

I agree with this, the land is going to be in phases. Avengers Coaster is going to be in Phase 2.

They could install a Spiderman spinner inside the old Bugs theater in two years, if they get started this fall, to open for Christmas 2020. But that's not going to help for 2019 or 2020. Star Wars Land at Disneyland will wreak havoc on the Resort 11 months from now, and they apparently have no real plan to deal with that except for half-butted attempts at making more stroller parking areas (Fantasyland) and opening up old full service restaurants as Instagram Food Courts (Adventureland).

I know you've mentioned the spinner before, without any real reference to where it came from. But I would bet on a 4D attraction or a shooter attraction way before a spinner. Unless of course you're considering TSMM a spinner/shooter.... :p

But cute that Mr. Hill thinks a giant Marvel Land that won't open in DCA until 2021 at the very earliest, likely 2022 or later, could somehow help with Star Wars crowds in 2019-2020. :rolleyes:

I think the thought process here is that SW:GE is going to be causing crowding issues for years. So that Marvel would still have an impact in 2020/2021. Not that I believe it, but hey Disney (or more preciously a supposed Disney "insider") can dream... :p

britain

Let’s pretend the Jim Hill rumors are true, I find it interesting that the Buzz system AND the Star Tours system would be moved to DCA. I know this brings the promise of a great big beautiful new entrance to Tomorrowland, but it also takes TWO IPs that COULD fit in Tomorrowland (Iron Man & Antman) off the table.

And I’ve been thinking, Disney doesn’t have that many Non-Marvel and Non-Star Wars IPs that could be used to strengthen Tomorrowland. Best I could think of is Tron, Wreck-it Ralph... and Avatar?

Maybe Flight of Passage could come to Anaheim without the Pandora exterior decorations. It could be a VERY remote control base for controlling Avatars.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let’s pretend the Jim Hill rumors are true, I find it interesting that the Buzz system AND the Star Tours system would be moved to DCA. I know this brings the promise of a great big beautiful new entrance to Tomorrowland, but it also takes TWO IPs that COULD fit in Tomorrowland (Iron Man & Antman) off the table.

And I’ve been thinking, Disney doesn’t have that many Non-Marvel and Non-Star Wars IPs that could be used to strengthen Tomorrowland. Best I could think of is Tron, Wreck-it Ralph... and Avatar?

Maybe Flight of Passage could come to Anaheim without the Pandora exterior decorations. It could be a VERY remote control base for controlling Avatars.

The only issue with Buzz and ST is that they can't bring them down right now. So it wouldn't be until fall 2019 at the earliest, likely spring 2020. Which means they'd be starting construction summer/fall 2020. Which would mean they wouldn't get the 2020 opening they talked about. So not sure how that is going to work. Especially since Bugs is closing in September.

However if we say they can lose Buzz now. And then assume things will be done in phases. Then Phase One would be Ant-Man shooter starting construction this fall with the rest of the recent rumors of restaurant/brewery, shops, and such. Then Phase Two would be the coaster and Iron Man attraction (using ST) in 2021/2022. Which BTW, would likely put a TL redo in the 2023 range 5 years from now which is when I predicted it could be done. As I don't think they can do both Marvel and TL at the same time, but maybe they can surprise us. However I had hoped for info on a TL/FL redo at D23 next year, but I think that is a pipe dream.

180º

OR use the Flight of Passage ride system for a Tron ride in which the “link chair” sends you into the grid via same flashing lights and disappearing wall transition. The seating position already works. At some point in the ride you could switch from riding a light cycle to flying a light jet. The IP is a perfect fit, and it could potentially be a much better Tron ride than Power Run. I’m not letting go of this pipe dream.

Travel Junkie

What about those Disney blockbuster films Mars Needs Moms, John Carter and Tomorrowland? :p

Ideally they would stay true to the vision of TL which would mean building original concepts, but we know that won't happen. Best we can hope for is being creative with how they implement the IP. For example what they did with Star Tours being a space port that just happen to take you to planets seen in Star Wars was nice.

TwilightZone

They could surprise us and bring the 3 cult classics of the early 00s.
Alantis, treasure planet, and meet the robinsons.
They already planned everything for the alantis ride, so no real extra work needed.
Treasure planet could make for a good replacement for star tours.
And I can totally see a meet the robinsons dark ride. (It will be like horizons 2)
Tomorrowland will then become disneyland's thrill land (even more so than star wars land), something that was planned for the new tommorrowland of the 90s, but never happened.
Also the best part of using cult classics is that it will be both shilling and not shilling at the same time. Genius. I mean it has been done with splash mountain too, why not?

BrianLo

Anything that talks about the Iron Man experience anywhere but HK is total Baloney!

This doesn’t even sound like old gossip, it sounds like Jim took every fanboy sadsack imagineer dream and mashed them into one.

Can anyone even justify the cost that would be saved by dismantling star tours, building a purpose building across the esplanade and entirely redoing the entire ride profile and film (because leaving DCA into Hong Kong sure sounds logical)... all to reuse 4 1980’s simulation pods on their last useful years of life expectancy?

Sure Jim.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Anything that talks about the Iron Man experience anywhere but HK is total Baloney!

This doesn’t even sound like old gossip, it sounds like Jim took every fanboy sadsack imagineer dream and mashed them into one.

Can anyone even justify the cost that would be saved by dismantling star tours, building a purpose building across the esplanade and entirely redoing the entire ride profile and film (because leaving DCA into Hong Kong sure sounds logical)... all to reuse 4 1980’s simulation pods on their last useful years of life expectancy?

Sure Jim.

Not to nitpick. But didn’t the simulators get upgraded in 2010 for Adventure Continues? I mean they may use the same Pods but the overall simulator hydraulic system got upgraded didn’t it.

Although I’m sure it would be cheaper to build new ones than to repurpose the old one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom