deleted

mikeh

This was an early proof of concept. Back when Iger and Cameron were describing how amazing and life like the flying feeling was going to be- they were on that thing.

The good news: these will still be incredibly convincing "banshees" with skin and will be able to mimic flapping wings, breathing, and head movement. Note the mimic part, not all of that will be tied to physical movements- it'll be very convincing for first time riders but once you actually break down everything it'll seem pretty basic. Still, since 99.999% of riders will not be seasoned park goers and/or repeat visitors, the effect will be spectacular. It's like any other ride- the first few times you haven't grown accustomed to the visual, auditory and touch sensations. Flight of Passage will set a new standard for those sensations, for a screen based ride anyway.

So what is the difference between this banshee that we see and the "banshee" that you say the final version will be? Movement? We've never ridden this banshee so what it used to do and what it does now doesn't matter all that much.

We're looking for what it will look like visually. Is what we're seeing and what we'll eventually ride on be the same, visually?

BrianLo

This was an early proof of concept. Back when Iger and Cameron were describing how amazing and life like the flying feeling was going to be- they were on that thing.

This is my assumption as well. It doesn't look like the massive IMAX type theatre, but the early ride prototype.

At least Iger's comments at the time were not total PR spin.

Restraints on this system would have been very similar to Tron with a back rest and a stomach/lap bar that would squeeze you in.

andysol

That's a bit of stretch for an air bladder under your belly and air vents next to your thigh.

And a Horizons style smelitizer in the dash.

Well, that in and of itself hasn't been used before. So while we've had fires all around us in Spiderman, or smells like in Kong/Tough to be a bug, or Air vents like many rides (all "4d" rides). But to have an air bladder touching you would be something new for sure.
If they get the texture right on the skin, that will also make a world of difference. I will give them this- if it is something that has been described so far, it is a vast improvement vs all other simulator rides where youre simply in a ride vehicle (Im thinking Simpsons, Star Tours or Soarin). So I definitely expect uniqueness here...

WDWdream97

This is my assumption as well. It doesn't look like the massive IMAX type theatre, but the early ride prototype.

At least Iger's comments at the time were not total PR spin.

Restraints on this system would have been very similar to Tron with a back rest and a stomach/lap bar that would squeeze you in.
I was always curious how the Tron Lightcycle Power Run restraints worked. I wasn't sure if they would work with some of our more um...economy sized guests.

Rob562

Well, that in and of itself hasn't been used before. So while we've had fires all around us in Spiderman, or smells like in Kong/Tough to be a bug, or Air vents like many rides (all "4d" rides). But to have an air bladder touching you would be something new for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, Mission to the Moon/Mars used air bladders in the seats...

-Rob

rushtest4echo

That's a bit of stretch for an air bladder under your belly and air vents next to your thigh.

And a Horizons style smelitizer in the dash.

Uhm... please point to another attraction that accomplishes those things? And it won't just be air vents a la Soarin, it'll actually feel like wind rushing by you all around your body. Combined with the outright voulnerable riding position where there's no vehicle surrounding you- there is no other simulator that comes close to reproducing the sensations you're going to feel. I just hope they have A LOT of absorbent on hand for vomit/code v (or protein spills as it used to be called- but that could function as a different euphemism where certain nerds and epic rides like this are concerned). ;)

superchc80

I was always curious how the Tron Lightcycle Power Run restraints worked. I wasn't sure if they would work with some of our more um...economy sized guests.
You mount the "cycle" like you would any bike. There are two sets of grip handles, one closer for those with T-rex arms like myself, and one a bit further away for longer arm lengths. You pull these grips towards you which causes the back of the restraint system to come in contact with your body. The device will lock in this position and obviously the CMs check that all is secure and tight enough. I saw a few fluffier folks ride without a problem as did several kids. It is a really neat set up, in my opinion and seemed to be forgiving for most body types. I can try and track down pictures, if you would like?

Incomudro

Uhm... please point to another attraction that accomplishes those things? And it won't just be air vents a la Soarin, it'll actually feel like wind rushing by you all around your body. Combined with the outright voulnerable riding position where there's no vehicle surrounding you- there is no other simulator that comes close to reproducing the sensations you're going to feel. I just hope they have A LOT of absorbent on hand for vomit/code v (or protein spills as it used to be called- but that could function as a different euphemism where certain nerds and epic rides like this are concerned). ;)
For sure.
We can easily speak of the mechanicals of any ride in such dismissive terms.
Animatronics are just metal and plastic, covered in latex.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Also sounds like you might be better off on the upper level. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom