Death on EE

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
More from the article about Tourist dies on Disney Everest Roller Coaster

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,2955186.story

"Reeb's death is not the first associated with an apparent heart attack at a Disney theme-park location lacking a defibrillator since the company began its program. In 2005, a 4-year-old boy with an undetected heart disease died of a heart attack after riding the Mission: Space ride at Epcot. The family sued, and one of the allegations was that Disney had not placed a defibrillator near enough to that ride. Disney and the family eventually settled the lawsuit for undisclosed terms."

**sliding every so slightly on dishwasher soap box**

And I'm just going to throw this out there...

Not to bring back a sore subject around here - BUT :hammer:- One has to ask themself - Can anyone sue anyone in a public or private place for not having a defibrillator "near by"? Would this family still have sued Disney for using the defib on the boy and he still passed away (I know a very very out there question - but still).

I mean - if this same boy (or any person/family for that matter) had passed away in the family car - would they have sued the car maker for not placing one in the car - or would they have sued the member of the family driving for not having one installed?

What would have happened if this same incident happend 10-15 years earlier. Would we/they/the family have just "chalked" it up to - "such a tragic event" and leave it at that? Or would more blame have been place on the parents for not making sure their child was "healthy" enough to ride an attraction like M:S

I guess my question goes back to the whole - has America gotten so lawsuit crazy, that you can't do anything "out of the norm" without being sued? I mean - I don't go to Disney and expect them to be able to perform open heart surgery on me should I have a heart attack. I certainly don't expect them to be able, nor in the business, of saving lives. It's a theme park for the love of all things with color!
I know I know I know...everything that is available should be made available to help those that need help in situations like this - but where do we/you draw the line in putting some reasponsiblity in the person/family that rode any of the attractions across the globe (unknowingly or knowingly about their health status) and has passed away?

And my thoughts are definitly with this family and any family that has an event such as this happen so close to Christmas.

**sliding back off dishwasher soap box**
returning radio dial to favorite holiday music station...
"Jingle Bells:xmas:, Jingle Bells:xmas:, Jingle all the way - (sing along now!) Oh what fun it is to ride - a one horse open sleigh - HEY!"

"We need a Disney Christmas - right this very minute..."

echoscot

I had surgery to repair a heart valve a few months ago.. I ride whatever I like.

I get my heartrate up much more in a regular workout than I do on any ride.

Ohhh , please don't tell us that...:eek: Now we are going to worry, so please at least be careful.

I work out and get a good heart rate going too, and I ride roller coasters, even ones that don't "scare me" per se will still create an adrenaline rush that makes my heart go from the thrill factor.

Katya

They could always try just looking at the ride? Anyone can see it isn't exactly Small World.

Amazingly enough, a lot of people don't pay attention to things like that. I once had someone ask me, of all things...after they got up the line, were asked how many in their party, got seated in a car and the door had already automatically closed at SSE, "Excuse me, miss, is this a ride?" I think I managed to smile and nod at them, but it was all I could do not to just stare dumbly at them.

I've also had people come up to the entrance, read the sign with the summary of the ride, then turn around and ask me what this ride was. So, needless to say, a lot of people just don't pay attention at all. Although, I'll say anyone concious of their surroundings enough to get in the single rider line probably doesn't have this problem, but just to illustrate that some people don't pay attention.

Also, it's been all over cast news that they're putting in a whole lot more defibrillators around property. And just as a side note that I feel at times the news can get carried away, it just makes a bigger impact on people that a lot of people realize. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk bad about M:S to me but they'd never even been near the ride or seen it themselves. And it's been beyond the "Oh, I've heard people died on that ride" to be very "That place is a death trap, Disney needs to tear it down." But I don't necessarily put the blame on the media for that, just the lack of reason in many individuals.

My condolences as well to the family. I always hate to hear about things like this and I hope they'll be able to get through such a tough time.

JustPlainBill

I am no medical expert but I have been trained in CPR, first aid as well as operating an defibrillator (AED), since we have one where I work. The machine we have talks you through the process. When you put the sensors on the chest of the patient the machine monitors the heart rhythm, if it is not a shockable rhythm the machine will inform you not to shock the patient and to seek emergency medical care and continue CPR, if you haven't already. Some Doctors are saying that a defibrillator would not have helped this man given the condition he had (enlarged heart). Defibrillators are great and can help a lot of people, but that doesn't mean it can help everyone.

bennyw01

pretty bad news, but these things happen. the scary thing is he was alive seconds before in the picture and the second thing is alot of people are dying recently.

sknydave

Ohhh , please don't tell us that...:eek: Now we are going to worry, so please at least be careful.

I work out and get a good heart rate going too, and I ride roller coasters, even ones that don't "scare me" per se will still create an adrenaline rush that makes my heart go from the thrill factor.

lol.. There are people who have had far worse conditions than mine climb Mount Everest (the real one :) ) and run marathons, compete in the Olympics and countless other physically daunting tasks. I truly believe it's the mindset of the person that makes all the difference in the world.

hauntdmansion79

It's always really sad to hear something like this. The sad part is that you usually ride with someone you love by your side. I thought I had lost my Mom when she rode Rockin' Rollercoaster, she almost passed out from being over-thrilled and she was not responsive. And while it's a funny family story now, at the time it was really scary. It is not something to take lightly, it could happen to any of us. Most people don't know they have developed any type of heart condition until something triggers it. What if that something is a fatal ride on a rollercoaster? I pray for my whole family's safety everytime we go.

EpcotServo

Sad to say, but there is actully NO warning signs in the Single Rider line...the only sign after you enter the queue is the wheelchair transfer sign, and that dosen't have the normal warning. The only actual warning sign before getting on and in the SR queue is the ones infront of the Booking Office and the main sign. And if he came from the Dinoland bridge, you actully bypass EVERY warning sign.

Not really taking an issue with anything, just pointing that out.

JimboJones123

Amazingly enough, a lot of people don't pay attention to things like that. I once had someone ask me, of all things...after they got up the line, were asked how many in their party, got seated in a car and the door had already automatically closed at SSE, "Excuse me, miss, is this a ride?" I think I managed to smile and nod at them, but it was all I could do not to just stare dumbly at them.

I've also had people come up to the entrance, read the sign with the summary of the ride, then turn around and ask me what this ride was. So, needless to say, a lot of people just don't pay attention at all. Although, I'll say anyone concious of their surroundings enough to get in the single rider line probably doesn't have this problem, but just to illustrate that some people don't pay attention.

Also, it's been all over cast news that they're putting in a whole lot more defibrillators around property. And just as a side note that I feel at times the news can get carried away, it just makes a bigger impact on people that a lot of people realize. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk bad about M:S to me but they'd never even been near the ride or seen it themselves. And it's been beyond the "Oh, I've heard people died on that ride" to be very "That place is a death trap, Disney needs to tear it down." But I don't necessarily put the blame on the media for that, just the lack of reason in many individuals.

My condolences as well to the family. I always hate to hear about things like this and I hope they'll be able to get through such a tough time.

Anybody that wants to carry that $1400 briefcase around the parks with them.....

echoscot

Sad to say, but there is actully NO warning signs in the Single Rider line...the only sign after you enter the queue is the wheelchair transfer sign, and that dosen't have the normal warning. The only actual warning sign before getting on and in the SR queue is the ones infront of the Booking Office and the main sign. And if he came from the Dinoland bridge, you actully bypass EVERY warning sign.

Not really taking an issue with anything, just pointing that out.

that is interesting...I bet it gets changed very soon..:animwink:

SteveVAB

Ride Death

My deepest sympathy to the family. This is a truly terrible thing to happen to a family any time of the year.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the family of this young man when I say I am tired of seeing "DEATH AT DISNEY" in the headlines. It's almost like no other amusement park in the world has accidental deaths except for Disney. But the news people are exceptionally quick to jump on WDW versus other parks.

They need to keep in mind that these people died perhaps before their time due to underlying health issues. Disney, nor any other amusement park, should be blamed for or be exploited in the news for a death that involved someone who had a health condition. Disney makes it a point over and over to warn people with health issues that some rides should not be ridden by certain individuals.

My wife had open heart surgery two years ago and can no longer ride her favorite rides at WDW. Sure, she could probably ride them without any harm but, she believes in the warnings that Disney imposes on some rides and therefore does not get on them. No, I am not saying it's the young man's fault for getting on the ride. I'm saying the news hounds should back off a bit until they know what they are talking about. And should give Disney credit for warning its guests with health issues.

I'm sorry, I hate to get on a soap box but WDW is my most favorite place in the whole world and it makes me mad to see DEATH in the news when it comes to Disney instead of all the great things they do. Again, my deepest sympathy to the family of this man.

Add one more attraction to the list of deaths. Ya know there are quite a few people who die on rides at WDW but considering how many people do ride them, the number is not huge.
It still is sad though :cry:

Figment1989

I think next time there is a tragedy in Disney, two seprate threads should be made - one for arguing about the media and one for properly sharing condolences and sympathy for the family.

JimboJones123

My deepest sympathy to the family. This is a truly terrible thing to happen to a family any time of the year.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the family of this young man when I say I am tired of seeing "DEATH AT DISNEY" in the headlines. It's almost like no other amusement park in the world has accidental deaths except for Disney. But the news people are exceptionally quick to jump on WDW versus other parks.

They need to keep in mind that these people died perhaps before their time due to underlying health issues. Disney, nor any other amusement park, should be blamed for or be exploited in the news for a death that involved someone who had a health condition. Disney makes it a point over and over to warn people with health issues that some rides should not be ridden by certain individuals.

My wife had open heart surgery two years ago and can no longer ride her favorite rides at WDW. Sure, she could probably ride them without any harm but, she believes in the warnings that Disney imposes on some rides and therefore does not get on them. No, I am not saying it's the young man's fault for getting on the ride. I'm saying the news hounds should back off a bit until they know what they are talking about. And should give Disney credit for warning its guests with health issues.

I'm sorry, I hate to get on a soap box but WDW is my most favorite place in the whole world and it makes me mad to see DEATH in the news when it comes to Disney instead of all the great things they do. Again, my deepest sympathy to the family of this man.

You can also look at a few other factors here.

I don't by any means have official numbers, but I'd say that the 6 Disney parks count for about 30% or more of all major theme park attendance in the United States.

I would also say that the number of guests over the age of 55 at Disney Parks is about 300-400% more than the number of guest 55+ at any other major theme park.

ALSO... I'd say that the number of guests that have "special medical conditions" is 600-700% more than at other major theme parks at the US.

It's like saying that people who get their teeth cleaned regularly live on average 10 years longer than those who don't. It sure the heck isn't just because of their teeth. It's because they have better medical insurance. They have higher incomes. They eat better. They have better living conditions. Ect. (I get the same pressure every time I visit the vet about the dog's teeth)

That's why statistics are so screwy. If it was a bad statistic, it wouldn't be used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom