Death at Driving Experience

natatomic

First Paul Walker, now this poor passenger. All the reason why I never let anyone else drive ME, especially in some performance car that they probably can't handle. And if it turns out that the driver was a professional from Richard Petty Experience...then I hope the passengers family sue them till their eyes pop out!

Don't the extensive waivers prevent them from suing in that case? (I really have no idea...I know next to nothing about law and whatnot).

I mean, it's not like professional drivers in professional races never crash and die. I'm am 100% positive that in the waiver they sign, it says somewhere in there, "risk of fatality," or "event of death," or "you might die," or something along those lines. It's not like the guy got on it's a small world and the boat flipped and killed him, which would be beyond a freak accident. This is something that has a known reasonable risk involved.

mousehockey37

Don't the extensive waivers prevent them from suing in that case? (I really have no idea...I know next to nothing about law and whatnot).

I mean, it's not like professional drivers in professional races never crash and die. I'm am 100% positive that in the waiver they sign, it says somewhere in there, "risk of fatality," or "event of death," or "you might die," or something along those lines. It's not like the guy got on it's a small world and the boat flipped and killed him, which would be beyond a freak accident. This is something that has a known reasonable risk involved.

See @PhotoDave219's post. We don't know who was driving. In these experiences, you as the guest have the ability to drive the cars... Not just the professional.

Nubs70

Waivers do not prevent the ability to sue. As a participant, you are relying on safe equipment and and competent employees. If maintenance of equipment, facilities and incompetent employees are discovered, then one would have grounds to sue based on detrimental reliance.

WDIPines

This is not my video, but it's going to help as an example.

You can see from the in-car footage that you wear open-face helmets, no firesuit (unlike the NASCAR portion) and that specifically there are no head restraints on the seats (no headrests to the left or right to keep you from snapping your neck. Also, for the racers here, you don't wear a HANS device either (a specifically designed piece of protective gear NASCAR and other racing leagues REQUIRE to help save against neck injuries). There is also no 5 point harness system(like in the NASCAR portion), it's a standard (possibly upgraded) shoulder seat belt from in a passenger vehicle.

When they hit the guardrail, depending on the angle and speed, the seat belt did its job and the passenger hit the side window or dashboard. It will most likely be a blunt force trauma.

I've wondered why they didn't uphold the same rules from the NASCAR side to the exotic car side, even though the exotic cars are technically street legal and can be owned by anyone.

It's a sad situation and to @raven, your roommates friend is probably going to be interviewed thoroughly depending on how close they were to the car and what they saw. Obviously, your roomies friend won't be able to say anything for quite some time.

This is why they have you sign the waiver before you ever step foot anywhere near a car.

Dang man, Are u like some forensic major or something?

FettFan

This is not my video, but it's going to help as an example.

You can see from the in-car footage that you wear open-face helmets, no firesuit (unlike the NASCAR portion) and that specifically there are no head restraints on the seats (no headrests to the left or right to keep you from snapping your neck. Also, for the racers here, you don't wear a HANS device either (a specifically designed piece of protective gear NASCAR and other racing leagues REQUIRE to help save against neck injuries). There is also no 5 point harness system(like in the NASCAR portion), it's a standard (possibly upgraded) shoulder seat belt from in a passenger vehicle.

When they hit the guardrail, depending on the angle and speed, the seat belt did its job and the passenger hit the side window or dashboard. It will most likely be a blunt force trauma.

I've wondered why they didn't uphold the same rules from the NASCAR side to the exotic car side, even though the exotic cars are technically street legal and can be owned by anyone.

It's a sad situation and to @raven, your roommates friend is probably going to be interviewed thoroughly depending on how close they were to the car and what they saw. Obviously, your roomies friend won't be able to say anything for quite some time.

This is why they have you sign the waiver before you ever step foot anywhere near a car.

Judging by that video, I'm assuming the deceased was the instructor?

mousehockey37

Dang man, Are u like some forensic major or something?

I grew up around racing. I live in the middle of Sprint Car/Modified/Late Model Country as well as I have 3 NASCAR tracks within 4 hours of my home.

I've grown up seeing horrible wrecks my entire life, so being able to explain something like this isn't that hard.

JohnD

Perhaps this will hasten it's closing.

Horrible news. While PhotoDave cleared up that the accident occurred during an Exotic Driving Experience (not the Richard Petty Experience), I still can't imagine anything other than the Richard Petty Experience closing earlier. The track is going to have to close anyway pending an investigation.

Here is more info about the Exotic Driving Experience:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/speedway/exotic-driving-experience/
and
http://www.exoticdriving.com/race-track/orlando-walt-disney-world-speedway

Last edited:

JohnD

It says here that even though it is a separate experience from the Richard Petty Driving Experience, the Exotic Driving Experience is still owned by Petty Holdings, which has put out a statement in response to the incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/12/us/florida-disney-driving-experience-death/

A terribly sad situation, either way. I'm praying for the family and friends of the person who was lost.

Which means that both were slated to close as Disney was going to use the area for improvements to Disney transportation. I suspect they'll now close earlier.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, we'll just have to wait for more details, but from what I posted prior, it doesn't appear enough safety measures are in play for the exotic cars, considering the NASCAR end goes slightly faster and they have you in a firesuit and just about everything a NASCAR ride would entail.

Completely different experiences. The exotic Car setup is like an autox or road course... Not the high speed laps of nascar

In their video they only get up to about 120.... That's pretty tame for that much car. I would do more than that on the track in my street z - and no those cars aren't tubed out with roll cages either... Just track day cars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom