Death at Driving Experience

flynnibus

Premium Member
I forget exactly where the threshold is for phased closings to start but it's somewhere in the 70 to 80,000 range… And since we haven't had any of those, you're right.

I think peak park capacity was like 80 or 85k ... and I'm sure that is a number that changes year to year based on whatever current thinking is and actual park operations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The odd part is then this would mean peak days could have well over 100k guest as they close the MK for capacity judging by how many vehicles are in the lot.

Dunno where you get your 'info' - but that would be a god awful way to do it... considering
1) parking in the MK lot doesn't mean you are in the MK
2) tens of thousands of guests don't even use the parking lot
3) The MK lot has less than 12.2k parking spots.. so the lot would fill up well before the MK itself would
4) Disney has a fairly accurate turnstile system that can tell them how many guests are still in the park within reasonable estimates

PhotoDave219

I think peak park capacity was like 80 or 85k ... and I'm sure that is a number that changes year to year based on whatever current thinking is and actual park operations.

Yeah, I'm just backing you up in that there's no way they could have 70-80k in Mk at any given moment without them going to a phased close....

That being said, MK was insanely busy this summer. Just not all at once, as you pointed out.

ULPO46

Yeah, I'm just backing you up in that there's no way they could have 70-80k in Mk at any given moment without them going to a phased close....

That being said, MK was insanely busy this summer. Just not all at once, as you pointed out.
Apologies you guys i should have meant average dail attendance and peak daily attendance. Disney shuts down the park once it hits 79-80k which is what RCID aproves through the RCFD Fire Marshal and EPCOT safety plan. There have beencases where there are 80k people all at one and average daily attendance through out the day can hit close to 50k each day. As hard as t is to believe the data its pretty accurate and was a cool find when breaking down cost of operations from the last operating quarter at WDP&R. Should have been more specific.

PhotoDave219

Apologies you guys i should have meant average dail attendance and peak daily attendance. Disney shuts down the park once it hits 79-80k which is what RCID aproves through the RCFD Fire Marshal and EPCOT safety plan. There have beencases where there are 80k people all at one and average daily attendance through out the day can hit close to 50k each day. As hard as t is to believe the data its pretty accurate and was a cool find when breaking down cost of operations from the last operating quarter at WDP&R. Should have been more specific.

Oh daily totals? This summer has averaging 65-70 at MK total. At least.

WDWtraveler

They literally had the three machines walking counter clockwise around the track. The first was breaking up the concrete, the second was pulling out large chunks and the third was breaking up the chunks into smaller pieces. Additionally the entire asphalt track is gone. One things for sure, they are in a heck of a hurry. I was only in the park for 3 hours and they had moved probably 300ft in that time.

Photo update as of Friday, Sept 4. To follow up with @roj2323's post, demolition of the Richard Petty / Exotic Driving Experience race track is progressing swiftly. Not only is the track being removed, but also the trees and shrubs around the track that helped obscure it. Here are some photos taken from the entrance/exit road at the south end of the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

You can see the "Speedway" sign across the race track. The foreground road is the MK parking lot entrance road around the east side of the race track. The trees along this road have been removed.

IMG_6104.JPG

The blue concrete barriers are along the MK parking lot exit road. These buildings were part of the driving experience.

IMG_6105.JPG

The race track barrier wall along the MK parking lot exit road.

IMG_6108.JPG

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

In my opinion, this should be the last post under the thread heading "Death at Driving Experience" (the thread title doesn't describe the current discussions). I only posted these photos here today because of the previous photos here and the discussion of the ultimate demise of this venue. I propose future posts and photos under a new thread heading that better describes the progress on the venue's removal and future construction of new parking/roadways for the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

Unplugged

Photo update as of Friday, Sept 4.

View attachment 109211

I propose future posts and photos under a new thread heading that better describes the progress on the venue's removal and future construction of new parking/roadways for the Magic Kingdom.

Agree with your statement but wanted to slip in a quick one on the photo. Looks like a photo of part of the Berlin wall during it's removal. While I think the race experiences were fun as a non-typical Disney activity, I won't miss it. There are plenty of better tracks and places to drive/race.

That said...bring the new thread!

dstrawn9889

Photo update as of Friday, Sept 4. To follow up with @roj2323's post, demolition of the Richard Petty / Exotic Driving Experience race track is progressing swiftly. Not only is the track being removed, but also the trees and shrubs around the track that helped obscure it. Here are some photos taken from the entrance/exit road at the south end of the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

You can see the "Speedway" sign across the race track. The foreground road is the MK parking lot entrance road around the east side of the race track. The trees along this road have been removed.

View attachment 109207

The blue concrete barriers are along the MK parking lot exit road. These buildings were part of the driving experience.

View attachment 109208

The race track barrier wall along the MK parking lot exit road.

View attachment 109209

View attachment 109210

View attachment 109211

In my opinion, this should be the last post under the thread heading "Death at Driving Experience" (the thread title doesn't describe the current discussions). I only posted these photos here today because of the previous photos here and the discussion of the ultimate demise of this venue. I propose future posts and photos under a new thread heading that better describes the progress on the venue's removal and future construction of new parking/roadways for the Magic Kingdom.
start one then, and place the photos there

Figment2005

I'm guessing they want this project completed before the holidays. Once the area is graded, they can have it paved in a matter days, if not a few weeks.

nelsonj3

Here's a quick video update of the demolition progress that we shot on Monday. It's moving really quickly. I'm kind of amazed at how quickly this is moving.
Sorry for the rain in the video. We were leaving and just shot a quick video. :)

PhotoDave219

Here's a quick video update of the demolition progress that we shot on Monday. It's moving really quickly. I'm kind of amazed at how quickly this is moving.
Sorry for the rain in the video. We were leaving and just shot a quick video. :)

Well they don't really have to worry about impacting guests or keeping anything open. It's just a matter of demolishing it and some paving.

No reason it shouldn't go fast.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Thank you for posting that update. I'm sad to see the raceway go, although I understand it wasn't related in theme at all to the MK. Still, I had my first "Ride Along" experience at the Walt Disney World Speedway, some years ago. It was really fun, and at least I'll always have the memories.

GrumpyFan

Nothing new here (for many of us), but Orlando Sentinel is reporting:
OSHA cites Petty Holdings in Walt Disney Speedway death

Federal investigators have cited Petty Holdings with two workplace-safety violations and proposed $7,000 in fines after a probe into the death of an instructor at the Walt Disney World Speedway.

Gary Terry died in April after the Lamborghini in which he was a passenger crashed into the end of a guardrail.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Petty Holdings could have lessened the danger by making the guardrail continuous around the track or installing impact barriers at the ends. It also could have run vehicles counter-clockwise, OSHA said.

R W B

Nothing new here (for many of us), but Orlando Sentinel is reporting:
OSHA cites Petty Holdings in Walt Disney Speedway death

Federal investigators have cited Petty Holdings with two workplace-safety violations and proposed $7,000 in fines after a probe into the death of an instructor at the Walt Disney World Speedway.

Gary Terry died in April after the Lamborghini in which he was a passenger crashed into the end of a guardrail.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Petty Holdings could have lessened the danger by making the guardrail continuous around the track or installing impact barriers at the ends. It also could have run vehicles counter-clockwise, OSHA said.
It was a tragic accident IMO but I agree that both of those are valid reasons to fine Petty Holdings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom