Deadliest Catch - I can't wait!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
As a watcher since season 1 as well as the pilot, I have to say that this season so far is the worst I have seen...there are to many boats and some episodes you don't even get to see certain boats.

The way I see it the Harris boys are getting a lesson in business 101 that their father never taught them. It is not the Captains fault that they didn't catch any crab...that's why it's called "fishing" and not "catching". Sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some. The reason the Harris boys are having such a hard time with this and acting like babies is because now they have money coming out of their pockets with business expenses...not like before where thy got paid either way and Phil had to suck up and loss. Coming from a family that has owned businesses in America for many generations I learned this at an early age...unfortunately the Harris boys haven't. If it didn't admit guilt the way Jake got off that boat and ran to the airport...I don't know what did. I am in no way a fanboy for Captain Derrick...but this man has a business mind and knows the hardships of owning and running a business. I have no sympathy for the Harris boys in this matter.

This article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/05/seaside_captain_faces_a_mutiny.html

That article sounds like a ed off fisherman who had a bad trip, didn't catch squat (although according to him he's the best there ever was), and is bitter. If he knows so much and is so great why is he running a tour boat? Yeah. Right.

Whether or not Jake and Josh will ever get their $h!t together and get to crabbing doesn't have a thing to do with the fact that Derrick was wrong for acting like a big flamin' butt. Talkin' smack about Phil was pretty much where he crossed the line. If you want to teach someone something or get people to work for you, beating them down emotionally, taking cheap shots at open wounds, and bulldogging them isn't the way to do it. ((I could suggest some good reading for someone who needs to learn leadership skills.)) A person can't respect someone who doesn't behave respectably. What it boils down to is Derrick can't catch crab, has zero leadership skills, and then goes around talkin' smack to try and save face. I can't think of a thing honorable or noteworthy in any of that. Just me. I guess now we know why he's just running a tour boat and not captain of a crab boat. :lol:

Do I think Jake & Josh had it easy when their dad was around? Yeah. He was their captain as well as their dad. They didn't have to work the business end of things because it wasn't their job. That's all gone now. They can't be expected to instantly know how to run a business and captain a boat. That wasn't their job before and they didn't have the benefit of learning those ropes from their dad prior to his passing. Unfortunately, prior to Phil's death he was busy trying to let his boys learn the ropes the same way every other deck hand did: by putting in the time on the deck working. They hadn't worked their way up into the wheelhouse or the business dealings. I don't know where Derrick or anyone else gets off saying or implying that Phil didn't do a good job teaching his boys about crabbing. The man didn't have the luxury of time. His got cut shorter than what he wanted.

At this point I think Jake is in for the fight of his life with addiction. Josh seems to want to do what's right and make it work but he also seems really overwhelmed. It's a lot to have suddenly thrust upon you. Hopefully they'll muddle through each season learning along the way. The mistakes and oversights of youth are what make a person wise down the road. Why not let these guys have that? Every captain I've ever seen interviewed pretty much says the same thing: doing what they do took a lot of mistakes to learn from. Except Derrick. He's the all-knowing...probably thinks he was born p!$$ing excellence. Arrogant, thoughtless, inconsiderate jacka--es like that really REALLY irk me in the worst way. They're literally crippled by their inability to get past their ego.

And, yeah, we've watched faithfully since the pilot, too. We're 'hooked'. I do agree with the statement that this is the worst season in the history of the show. They have too many boats. It aggravates us when they go whole episodes without a peep about one or two boats. Definitely agree on that.

stratman50th

Wow, you all are pretty in to this! :D
I watch the show and enjoy it a great deal, however I must admit I get really hungry when I see all those crab in the trap.
I really don't understand why I sit there hour after hour watching.
Analyze it for a minute. Day after day, hour after hour, show after show, they catch crabs. Sometimes they have a good day, sometimes bad, but there's always those tasty little crustations in the cage. Not a whole lot changes from show to show really.
And I sit there and stare at the screen the entire time the show is on also!:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow, you all are pretty in to this! :D
I watch the show and enjoy it a great deal, however I must admit I get really hungry when I see all those crab in the trap.
I really don't understand why I sit there hour after hour watching.
Analyze it for a minute. Day after day, hour after hour, show after show, they catch crabs. Sometimes they have a good day, sometimes bad, but there's always those tasty little crustations in the cage. Not a whole lot changes from show to show really.
And I sit there and stare at the screen the entire time the show is on also!:lol:
I don't get it either. You quite literally can not tell the difference between season 1 footage and season 6 footage but I am glued to the TV every freaking week. I stopped watching Survivor and most other reality TV years ago for this very reason but for some reason Deadliest Catch keeps me coming back.

I was somewhat intrigued when they came out with the video game but the thrill did not transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JLeyHy0-E&feature=fvwrel

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that we are drawn to the actual fishermen themselves and their individual stories.
I thought about that as well but those are actually only slightly less monotonousness than the fishing. All of them have pretty much the same story..... Captains are 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th generation fishermen, hard life, substance abuse, family issues, etc. Deck hands 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th generation fishermen, hard life, substance abuse, family issues, etc. About the only changes are the green horns and the jokes played by the Hillstrands.

NYwdwfan

I thought about that as well but those are actually only slightly less monotonousness than the fishing. All of them have pretty much the same story..... Captains are 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th generation fishermen, hard life, substance abuse, family issues, etc. Deck hands 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th generation fishermen, hard life, substance abuse, family issues, etc. About the only changes are the green horns and the jokes played by the Hillstrands.

It was really sad when Edgar & the guy whose name is escaping me for some reason were saying nearly EVERY fisherman they have known has issues with addiction.

That Chinese lantern prank on Sig was brilliant.

stratman50th

Is everybody who watches the show also a lover of crab on the dinner table? Could that be it? I wasn't kidding about getting hungry every time I watch. I can't go a whole lot of episodes before I'm dragging the family out for some all you eat crab legs. I'm in Maryland so I can do a couple of dozen steamed blue crabs too, but yeah I'm hungry right now thinking about it! :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was really sad when Edgar & the guy whose name is escaping me for some reason were saying nearly EVERY fisherman they have known has issues with addiction.

It is sad but not all that surprising. With all of the damage that those deck hands do to themselves I am surprised that all of them don't have Vicodin addictions.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is everybody who watches the show also a lover of crab on the dinner table? Could that be it? I wasn't kidding about getting hungry every time I watch. I can't go a whole lot of episodes before I'm dragging the family out for some all you eat crab legs. I'm in Maryland so I can do a couple of dozen steamed blue crabs too, but yeah I'm hungry right now thinking about it! :D
I like it but I do not go nuts for it. We will occasionally get snow crab legs but it is just too much work.

NYwdwfan

It is sad but not all that surprising. With all of the damage that those deck hands do to themselves I am surprised that all of them don't have Vicodin addictions.

Edgar said something about the addictions starting because of the pain - but continuing due to using pain as an excuse. Not an easy lifestyle.

My husband is a recreational fisherman and LOVES the show as well - he is always intrigued by how they can make $50K for a month or so of work. I asked him once if he thought he could handle "the grind" and he said absolutely positively NO. No way.

mickeysshoes

Love crabs..had me a dozen blues just this past Saturday. :slurp:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Edgar said something about the addictions starting because of the pain - but continuing due to using pain as an excuse. Not an easy lifestyle.

My husband is a recreational fisherman and LOVES the show as well - he is always intrigued by how they can make $50K for a month or so of work. I asked him once if he thought he could handle "the grind" and he said absolutely positively NO. No way.
Jason Mewes (Jay from Jay and Silent Bob) described what it is like coming off long term oxy abuse. You know that painful pins and needles feeling you get when your arm or leg falls asleep....imagine that over your entire body and it lasts for days. If that description is even half accurate I can see why so many people who take it for a legitimate reasons get hooked.

NYwdwfan

Jason Mewes (Jay from Jay and Silent Bob) described what it is like coming off long term oxy abuse. You know that painful pins and needles feeling you get when your arm or leg falls asleep....imagine that over your entire body and it lasts for days. If that description is even half accurate I can see why so many people who take it for a legitimate reasons get hooked.

That's crazy. I had a sinus infection for the first time this winter (started with the cold I got from waiting on the Fort Wilderness Campground boat dock for 20 minutes in 17 degree weather after the Hoop Dee Doo - but I digress) and it felt like I was hit in the face with a cactus. The pain was so intense by the time I got to the doctor I told him just do anything to make it stop. I could not even imagine if it were like that all over.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Oh my goodness - I don't know if anyone is watching After the Catch but Derrick is showing his true colors. Any doubts I had about what actually happened are gone. The guy is a jerk. Wow.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Oh my goodness - I don't know if anyone is watching After the Catch but Derrick is showing his true colors. Any doubts I had about what actually happened are gone. The guy is a jerk. Wow.

I have not seen it but could tell just from the regular show that he is a jerk.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I have not seen it but could tell just from the regular show that he is a jerk.

I had read elsewhere (discovery channel forums mostly) that some people weren't sure what actually happened or how editing played into it and maybe Derrick wasnt as bad as he seemed but after tonight what we saw was accurate. When Keith gets up to get in the middle of two guys about to fight - wow. Just wow. I knew it when Derrick picked a fight with the former engineer that I can't remember his name.

Minnie1976

I enjoyed both episodes last night. Evidently it seems the CM couldn't go out without these contracts for blue crab. Now I understand why they never switched when they couldn't find the blue crab. From what I saw I don't think either of Phil's sons are ready to handle or run a boat. They have a lot to learn.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did anyone pay attention to the other captains at the table...I am pretty sure that they agree with Derrick. The problem is the Harris boys just do not want to listen...they suffer from the good ole "young kid who knows everything" syndrome. In my opinion Derrick was trying to teach these boys what their father didn't...the business side of the operation, but the boys just do not want to listen. I have lost all respect for the Harris boys.
No question that there were problems on both sides but I think the blame needle is pointing a little more to Derrick. I have always been of the opinion that a captain/managers true worth is not how he is when everything is going right but how they perform when it all goes to crap. When Derrick was running the boat during opie season they were catching crab like crazy and everything was just fine. Blue crab was a different story. I think Derrick wrote a check that he could not cash when he went to fish blue crab. There is a reason that so many were willing to lease their blue crab quota, they are darn hard to catch. I have the feeling that the Harris boys came to him with the choice of stay home of fish blue crab, something that they have never done. My guess is Derrick said something along the lines of "No problem. I'll find the crab and we will make a ton of money." When that did not happen the crew turned on him, like every crew seems to do, but Derrick just returned the favor vs being a leader. Once that happened it was over.

Made for some great TV though.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm at the end of my 2 week road trip to Northwest Florida & South Alabama. I'm catching up on the thread. We didn't miss any DC episodes, tho. :D

Oh heck yeah. That was great. Loved it!

Actually, I'm not a seafood fan at all. I enjoy the sport of watching the guys fish. My hubby & sons all eat crab. The 15 year old is insane over the stuff. He schmoozed me into buying him $20 worth last week then schmoozed my brother into buying him another $20 worth 2 nights later. I told him if he asked for crab again before I forget about this round I'll smack him senseless.

Or worse. If they're like me and Vicodin does absolutely ~nothing~ for them. When I had my last surgery in late August 2008 I got 'that look' from the doctor when I told him the only pain medication I know of that is effective for me is Percocet. :lookaroun Then he prescribed something else. Luckily, combining whatever he gave me with the industrial prescription muscle relaxers kept that elephant-trampling-my-chest feeling at bay.

Oh yeah. My old man is Mr. Fisherman. Loves it with a passion. I don't think I could even complete that sentence without him laughing at me. My older brother, however, is super-duper into salt water fishing. Cold doesn't bother him. He has never, ever required much sleep and has this crazy energy that goes on forever. He works like a mule and enjoys it. I think of anyone I know or have ever known, I think my brother could totally do that job. His only problem would be when they go to rib the greenhorn...yeah...that wouldn't go so well. Growing up he was littler than all the other kids. As long as I can remember if anyone, no matter their size, tried to give him a hard time they had absolute h-e-double-hockey-sticks to deal with. That's where his problem would lie.

I think a lot was thrown out there on there table. It was quite a :eek: moment. The problem is my hubby called right when everything had built to the crescendo and was yammering on about something being wrong with his boat trailer, etc. so I only ended half-listening to him and the show. I missed half of what was going on! Ack!

I had read elsewhere (discovery channel forums mostly) that some people weren't sure what actually happened or how editing played into it and maybe Derrick wasnt as bad as he seemed but after tonight what we saw was accurate. When Keith gets up to get in the middle of two guys about to fight - wow. Just wow. I knew it when Derrick picked a fight with the former engineer that I can't remember his name.

Wasn't the guy who stepped in a producer for Discovery that works on the boats or something? I didn't see Keith step in.

Then again, I was kinda impressed to see Keith and Jonathan sitting next to each other. I'd have thought that wouldn't have been the best seating arrangement.

Did anyone pay attention to the other captains at the table...I am pretty sure that they agree with Derrick. The problem is the Harris boys just do not want to listen...they suffer from the good ole "young kid who knows everything" syndrome. In my opinion Derrick was trying to teach these boys what their father didn't...the business side of the operation, but the boys just do not want to listen. I have lost all respect for the Harris boys.

While there's no doubt that the Harris boys are young and lack the wisdom and temper control that comes with age, I can understand why they (Josh) went to yelling. I would, too, if that was my dad. Heck, my dad is mentally disabled and literally 3/4 of the way out of his mind from PTSD and a serious panic disorder. I get so mad at him for some of the mindless trash that comes out of his mouth. Some days I get frustrated enough to scold him like a child. But let someone else say a cross word about my old man and I'll be on 'em like white-on-rice. I feel where Josh was coming from. Here's a man who's supposed to have had this long, deep history of fishing with his not even a year ago deceased father. He even claimed to be Phil's friend. That's some friend who talks down about you after you're dead to your children....while sitting in your chair at the helm of your boat. Doesn't get much lower, honestly. Josh & Jake know they don't know everything they need to to run a boat. They said they hired Derrick to teach them these things as they worked. They relied on Derrick's word and his reputation...neither of which he produced on. Josh said he asked some questions and got met with insults after being told there's no such thing as a stupid question. Doesn't sound like a learning environment to me. Derrick also said himself that he fished with partner boats for all those years with success. Heck, it could've been his ability to read what his partner boats & captains were doing that produced his ability to catch. That could've been where his reputation came from. We'll never know. I certainly didn't see any proof that he was a good captain or fisherman. He failed to manage his crew in a productive manner, he failed to budget for the fishing correctly (I mean, even the inexperienced Harris boys picked up rather quickly that his calculations were all off), and he failed to catch what he needed to. He claims had he been able to keep fishing he'd have found them. How does he know that? He could've fished for weeks longer and spent way more money in fuel and never caught a thing.

The other captains vouched for Derrick's reputation in the past. What I also got was that they didn't think he managed the crew effectively. The captains gave a little questioning and advice to the Harris boys which I felt like they received okay. They sat there and said themselves they didn't know how to do that job but that they wanted to learn. Their lack of knowledge scares them. Heck, it'd scare me, too.

From what I saw Josh started with the yelling when Derrick was just trying to talk and make his point. The problem was the guys on the CM got away with a lot of crap when Phil was captain...now I'm not saying he wasn't a good captain, but he just wasn't one for coming down hard on his crew. That being said when Derrick steps on the boat and tries to run it the way it should be run like any other crab boat the crew just cant handle it.

Actually, I saw Derrick interupt Josh without letting him finish what he had to say. I think where Josh messed up was when he raised his voice. If he'd kept his cool and laid it all out there plain as day I don't think there would've been much arguement to make. The feelings are still raw, he was upset, his anger got the best of him. Once yelling begins, listening stops.

I think Phil had a very laid-back way of running his boat. Like my mother-in-law and how she ran her household when my hubby was growing up. Chores had to be done. She didn't care if it was done before or after the kids' favorite tv show as long as it got done. She didn't watch over their shoulders. She didn't really care how the tasks were accomplished as long as they were done right in the end. In contrast, the way I grew up was extremely regimented with everything extremely scrutinized. If things weren't done promplty the way we were instructed to do them step-by-step we had to start again from the beginning then lose priviledges. I think the contrast in the way Phil ran a boat and the way Derrick runs a boat are that different. The only thing that puzzled me was how did Opies last season go just ducky and everyone meshing to the insanity we saw for Kings this season? I don't get that.

I enjoyed both episodes last night. Evidently it seems the CM couldn't go out without these contracts for blue crab. Now I understand why they never switched when they couldn't find the blue crab. From what I saw I don't think either of Phil's sons are ready to handle or run a boat. They have a lot to learn.

From what I read in an interview with Josh which meshed with what they were saying last night is that they had leased out the CM's entire quota on the red crab because they weren't sure they'd be able to go out. Then Derrick offered to bring his quota along with leasing some blue quotas from other boats because he could make the boat a pile of money, he wanted to fish the season, and the Harris boys wanted to go out for the learning experience (you know, when Derrick was supposed to start guiding them in the ways of running a boat). Yeah, when the Harris boys saw that Derrick's calculations were all off, they weren't catching, and they were losing a lot of money they decided to scrap the season altogether. No, Phil's sons aren't ready to run a boat. They said that themselves. What they were seeking was an opportunity to learn from someone they thought they could count on. Didn't work out too good. They do have a lot to learn which they know. They're both supposed to be going to captain's school. I'm hoping Captain Tony with this Opie season really turns things around for them. They need some positive reinforcement and encouragement.

No question that there were problems on both sides but I think the blame needle is pointing a little more to Derrick. I have always been of the opinion that a captain/managers true worth is not how he is when everything is going right but how they perform when it all goes to crap. When Derrick was running the boat during opie season they were catching crab like crazy and everything was just fine. Blue crab was a different story. I think Derrick wrote a check that he could not cash when he went to fish blue crab. There is a reason that so many were willing to lease their blue crab quota, they are darn hard to catch. I have the feeling that the Harris boys came to him with the choice of stay home of fish blue crab, something that they have never done. My guess is Derrick said something along the lines of "No problem. I'll find the crab and we will make a ton of money." When that did not happen the crew turned on him, like every crew seems to do, but Derrick just returned the favor vs being a leader. Once that happened it was over.

Made for some great TV though.

Bingo. I think you totally nailed it in every way. :wave:

So was anyone else geeking out at the thought of Sig running King while Edgar worked the deck then Edgar running Opies???? From the time Edgar started talking about walking away a couple years ago the hubby & I thought they should give the Hillstrand's arrangement a try. We never once thought he'd actually walk away from crabbing and never return. We always said he'll sit it out for one of the 2 seasons and return with different arrangements. When he suggested that my oldest & I both jumped up and started the high-fives, "Yes!!! Yes!!!!!!!! We knew it!!!!!!!!!!" :lol: Very interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm so excited. I'm such a dork. :hammer:

NYwdwfan

Try catching reruns of previous seasons when they are on - marathon style - usually over 4th of July weekend. You will be completely hooked (pun definitely intended).

And welcome to the forums! It's a fun place to hang around! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom