Deadliest Catch - I can't wait!!

NYwdwfan

I feel like the new people are playing to the camera a bit much - the Cornelia Marie fight, the Rambling Rose guy firing the guy that made a mess and going out to help the crew on deck - I feel like the "originals" went about business regardless of the cameras - and yet the new guys made it feel a bit contrived. Like they are trying too hard to make not only the crew, but the viewer, respect them - and they are just coming off like jerks.

As an aside - I was sweating thinking Edgar wasn't on the boat - they really got me on that one!! Northwestern is still my favorite boat.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I definitely agree that bringing up Phil the way that he did was uncalled for and in some way that hurt him. I think Josh & Jake will be the ultimate peacekeepers and will always keep "what the old man would want/do" in their minds. If this new captain really is the best guy for the boat, then they will make it work. If he's not, there's a good chance they will band together and find a way to get rid of him. We also don't know the circumstances of how it all started. So he said they were going to get a post office box key. They came back carrying bags of stuff. Did they run another errand that needed to be done before they could leave the dock? I do need to go back and watch it again, but I don't remember any mention of what they were doing while they were gone and if it was important. Isn't his name Derrick?

And on the Northwestern, right now it looks like Jake is staying put but the teaser at the end makes it look like something may change. I just checked the Discovery web site - it shows Matt Bradley is still a deckhand on the Northwestern but I didn't see him at all in last night's episode.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I feel like the new people are playing to the camera a bit much - the Cornelia Marie fight, the Rambling Rose guy firing the guy that made a mess and going out to help the crew on deck - I feel like the "originals" went about business regardless of the cameras - and yet the new guys made it feel a bit contrived. Like they are trying too hard to make not only the crew, but the viewer, respect them - and they are just coming off like jerks.

As an aside - I was sweating thinking Edgar wasn't on the boat - they really got me on that one!! Northwestern is still my favorite boat.

I couldn't agree more about the way the new guys seemed to play to the camera rather than go about their business. The Rambling Rose guy totally comes off like he's got something to prove which doesn't seem like it's a good thing.

I was with you on sweating over Edgar being there. They got me, too. What would we do without Edgar's fiiiiiine self there for me to ogle??? :p

I definitely agree that bringing up Phil the way that he did was uncalled for and in some way that hurt him. I think Josh & Jake will be the ultimate peacekeepers and will always keep "what the old man would want/do" in their minds. If this new captain really is the best guy for the boat, then they will make it work. If he's not, there's a good chance they will band together and find a way to get rid of him. We also don't know the circumstances of how it all started. So he said they were going to get a post office box key. They came back carrying bags of stuff. Did they run another errand that needed to be done before they could leave the dock? I do need to go back and watch it again, but I don't remember any mention of what they were doing while they were gone and if it was important. Isn't his name Derrick?

And on the Northwestern, right now it looks like Jake is staying put but the teaser at the end makes it look like something may change. I just checked the Discovery web site - it shows Matt Bradley is still a deckhand on the Northwestern but I didn't see him at all in last night's episode.

You're right about the unPhil guy's name. It was Derrick. That's what I get for being bad with names and relying on a quick Google. Dang! I'll go edit my post so people don't read thinking "Who the heck is Tony????" I just think of him as the unPhil. :lol:

I was also wondering about what Jake & Steve did to come back from getting a mailbox key with all that stuff. I think they sorta indicated that they picked up some supplies that were on the list of to-do's while they were out but unPhil was so busy making a scene it kinda got overshadowed. I think. Hhmmm. My thing is if someone leaves to go do something "on the clock" you need to be absolutely clear about what they're doing. If return time is an issue that should be specified. Ya know? But, if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision on Jake & Steve's part they should've at least given unPhil a ring. I've seen them on phones at the docks before.

I was wondering about Matt Bradley. I didn't see him either. Heck, at one point you even saw Norman and you neeeeever see camera-shy Norman. I wonder if maybe Sig brought the new-old guy onboard to take some of the physical demand off Edgar since that was one of his problems that was also pushing him towards wanting to walk away last season. That would make sense, huh? Still, where was Matt???? He didn't used to be camera-shy at all. :shrug:

And Jake A...do you get the feeling he's like trying too hard? There's no doubt he's got initiative and ambition. Those are good things. There has to be balance, tho. He can't expect too much too fast of himself or his crew. I think that's why he keeps clashing with Edgar and Sig and all. Still, they should find a way to get across to him in a gentler way that he needs to chill out. :cool:

Oh it's just soooo nice to have other people to talk DC with!!! All our extended family think we're strange the way we're so crazy about it. During the new seasons we literally plan that evening during the week around the show time. We won't accept invitations to eat out or at the in-laws. Or if we do we're watching the clock and rushing. I feel like such a nutter sometimes! :hammer:

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I couldn't agree more about the way the new guys seemed to play to the camera rather than go about their business. The Rambling Rose guy totally comes off like he's got something to prove which doesn't seem like it's a good thing.

I totally was with you on sweating over Edgar being there. They got me, too. What would we do without Edgar's fiiiiiine self there for me to ogle??? :p

You're right about the unPhil guy's name. It was Derrick. That's what I get for being bad with names and relying on a quick Google. Dang! I'll go edit my post so people don't read thinking "Who the heck is Tony????" I just think of him as the unPhil. :lol:

I was also wondering about what Jake & Steve did to come back from getting a mailbox key with all that stuff. I think they sorta indicated that they picked up some supplies that were on the list of to-do's while they were out but unPhil was so busy making a scene it kinda got overshadowed. I think. Hhmmm. My thing is if someone leaves to go do something "on the clock" you need to be absolutely clear about what they're doing. If return time is an issue that should be specified. Ya know? But, if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision on Jake & Steve's part they should've at least given unPhil a ring. I've seen them on phones at the docks before.

I was wondering about Matt Bradley. I didn't see him either. Heck, at one point you even saw Norman and you neeeeever see camera-shy Norman. I wonder if maybe Sig brought the new-old guy onboard to take some of the physical demand off Edgar since that was one of his problems that was also pushing him towards wanting to walk away last season. That would make sense, huh? Still, where was Matt???? He didn't used to be camera-shy at all. :shrug:

And Jake A...do you get the feeling he's like trying too hard? There's no doubt he's got initiative and ambition. Those are good things. There has to be balance, tho. He can't expect too much too fast of himself or his crew. I think that's why he keeps clashing with Edgar and Sig and all. Still, they should find a way to get across to him in a gentler way that he needs to chill out. :cool:

Oh it's just soooo nice to have other people to talk DC with!!! All our extended family think we're strange the way we're so crazy about it. During the new seasons we literally plan that evening during the week around the show time. We won't accept invitations to eat out or at the in-laws. Or if we do we're watching the clock and rushing. I feel like such a nutter sometimes! :hammer:

I also am very glad Edgar is back. I kinda have a thing for Edgar (too) and was afraid of what was going to happen if he wasn't there. :lookaroun :lol:

I also noticed that JJ wasn't on the Time Bandit - and they have a new greenhorn rather than bring Russ back. JJ seemed like a good guy so I wonder what happened there. I think Andy even said something about JJ having quota.

I don't remember Matt being camera shy and I remember when he had to be back (Seattle I think?) or else he would have to go to jail - anyone camera shy probably wouldn't mention that.

As for Jake Anderson, I have been on his side the whole time. I had no problem with him spending time on the Cornelia last season, but I didn't agree with Sig on why. I don't think he's arrogant. Maybe not so much now, but he seemed like a genuine kid that just wanted to learn and do the right thing. The wishing Edgar dead thing didn't sit well with me, but I really don't think he needs to be knocked back down a notch. Ambition and arrogance can be two different things - he seems like he just wants to learn. Maybe he does want to take over the boat someday. That shouldn't be held against him.

I'm the only one in my house that watches Deadliest Catch. I try to plan around it but if it doesn't work out that's ok - that's what TiVo is for - and then there's no commercials!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
As for Jake Anderson, I have been on his side the whole time. I had no problem with him spending time on the Cornelia last season, but I didn't agree with Sig on why. I don't think he's arrogant. Maybe not so much now, but he seemed like a genuine kid that just wanted to learn and do the right thing. The wishing Edgar dead thing didn't sit well with me, but I really don't think he needs to be knocked back down a notch. Ambition and arrogance can be two different things - he seems like he just wants to learn. Maybe he does want to take over the boat someday. That shouldn't be held against him.

I hear ya on Jake A. He's definitely eager and ambitious. I don't think he's arrogant. I've never seen him acting like his poo doesn't stink or like he knows everything. I do think Sig & Edgar are a bit too tough sometimes. Maybe that's the way their dad was with them. Who knows? I just think Jake seems to try too hard sometimes and expects too much of himself...like sprinting back & forth to the galley trying to cook a meal successfully by the time all the pots are stacked while he's simultaneously working on the deck. I don't wanna see him set himself up for a crash down to Earth if he expects too much and can't quite be everything he wants to be so badly. Does that make sense? Poor kid. He's had a rough go of it the last year or two losing his sister and his dad. That's tough. I just wanna go "mother" him to pieces. Such a sweet kid.

NYwdwfan

He's had a rough go of it the last year or two losing his sister and his dad. That's tough. I just wanna go "mother" him to pieces. Such a sweet kid.

Did they confirm his father passed? Last I was able to find he was missing. I was hoping he would turn up - though it didnt look like the story would get that happy ending.

I was with you on sweating over Edgar being there. They got me, too. What would we do without Edgar's fiiiiiine self there for me to ogle???

I looooooovvve Edgar. I do hate when he fights with Jake though. A few years ago, Edgar and Sig were going to be in the Norway Pavillion the day we arrived at Disney. My husband wanted to high tail it over there but the kids wanted to go to MK (guess who won). It would have been super-cool to meet them!!

BTW - did you guys catch the scenes from the season? WHO GETS HIT IN THE HEAD WITH A HOOK?! I love the show but HATE when they get hurt.

(So I finally figured out how to double quote in a response. Yay me!!)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Did they confirm his father passed? Last I was able to find he was missing. I was hoping he would turn up - though it didnt look like the story would get that happy ending.

I looooooovvve Edgar. I do hate when he fights with Jake though. A few years ago, Edgar and Sig were going to be in the Norway Pavillion the day we arrived at Disney. My husband wanted to high tail it over there but the kids wanted to go to MK (guess who won). It would have been super-cool to meet them!!

BTW - did you guys catch the scenes from the season? WHO GETS HIT IN THE HEAD WITH A HOOK?! I love the show but HATE when they get hurt.

(So I finally figured out how to double quote in a response. Yay me!!)

I thought I heard on the little post-season clips they attached to the "Best of Season 6" episode where they said Jake A had "lost" his dad the previous year. I think maybe they referred to it that way in the After the Catch they did in New Orleans at the end of last season, too. Whether he's deceased or not, I would think he's "lost" to his family at this point. Having worked in law enforcement and having seen similar situations several times, my bet is that he either went for a walk in the woods, got lost & eventually consumed or he took a walk in the woods with the intent to complete suicide. Most likely it's the latter. I've seen that one more. Only ever had 1 lost hunter/hiker who's remains were randomly found which, in turn, closed an old missing person's case. Jake's sister passed in Season 5 (I think it was) so it's not that much a stretch for me to believe the father just didn't handle that so well. I couldn't imagine losing a child at any age. Ya know?

The last time Sig & Edgar were at WDW I was totally tempted to load the kids up and drive down there with the sole purpose of meeting them. Seriously. That would be so awesome! I hope they come back again someday.

I wasn't sure who that was who got smacked with the hook! Looked brutal! I was thinking it was Mike Fourtner but my 15 year old was thinking it was Scotty Hillstrand. I'd go with Scotty. You know, since teenagers know everything and all... :ROFLOL:

NYwdwfan

I wasn't sure who that was who got smacked with the hook! Looked brutal! I was thinking it was Mike Fourtner but my 15 year old was thinking it was Scotty Hillstrand. I'd go with Scotty. You know, since teenagers know everything and all... :ROFLOL:

I guess we'll have to wait and see (dang Discovery channel and their clever camera work!!!) My initial thought was that it was that Cato kid from the Rambling Rose - seems like he is an accident magnet - but it didn't look like him.

DiPSU224

I just started getting into DC after last season. My husband and I were always casual watchers, enjoying it whenever we happened to catch it. After seeing Phil die last year, I just fell in love with all those guys. I can't imagine being their spouse and constantly seeing them leave and never know if you'll see them again.
I agree about the new Captians, showing off for the cameras. Unfortunately that's what happens sometimes when these reality shows become uber popular. They become more "produced" and not so much reality anymore. Having said that, I believe this show is as close to reality as you can get.
I didn't realize Edgar was a female fan favorite! I'm more of a Jake A and Mike Fourtner fan. Not sure why, but I do think they are quite dreamy...:lol:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I guess we'll have to wait and see (dang Discovery channel and their clever camera work!!!) My initial thought was that it was that Cato kid from the Rambling Rose - seems like he is an accident magnet - but it didn't look like him.

That guy is accident-prone! Or he was for a while, anyway. Gotta give him props for being willing to come back & not be scared off. I don't know about you, but I've got the itch for the next installment! Come on DC!!!

I just started getting into DC after last season. My husband and I were always casual watchers, enjoying it whenever we happened to catch it. After seeing Phil die last year, I just fell in love with all those guys. I can't imagine being their spouse and constantly seeing them leave and never know if you'll see them again.

I agree about the new Captians, showing off for the cameras. Unfortunately that's what happens sometimes when these reality shows become uber popular. They become more "produced" and not so much reality anymore. Having said that, I believe this show is as close to reality as you can get.
I didn't realize Edgar was a female fan favorite! I'm more of a Jake A and Mike Fourtner fan. Not sure why, but I do think they are quite dreamy...:lol:

I've often said I'd love to meet the wives of those guys. I imagine those are some amazing, strong women. I'd love to hear what it's like on their side. You know?

Edgar has that rugged look that appeals. His personality is a lot like my old man's, too. :p

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
What is going on with Deadliest Catch this year? I just can't get into it!! I don't know why, but it's just not holding my attention like it has in the past. I'm watching the reruns that are on right now and I still am just not interested. So many things - the Harris boys are miserable with their new captain (can't say I blame them there) and they aren't catching anything. There's way too much Wizard on lately, and Jake A's string didn't go so well and he started in with Edgar. The best thing about this week's episode was no Ramblin Rose!! I'll watch this week's again, maybe it was better than I thought.

NYwdwfan

I finally caught up on DC this weekend (I still did not see last night's episode) and I was SO SAD over the whole Cornelia Marie debacle. Anyway, I found this article explaining the after the fact stuff and I thought you guys (girls!!) would be interested:

http://www.corneliamarie.com/

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I finally caught up on DC this weekend (I still did not see last night's episode) and I was SO SAD over the whole Cornelia Marie debacle. Anyway, I found this article explaining the after the fact stuff and I thought you guys (girls!!) would be interested:

http://www.corneliamarie.com/
Thanks for posting that. I have been wondering what the scoop on the situation was. From what we were shown I was siding with the Harris boys. The new skipper had one job, find crab, and he failed at that. The crew was not screwing around, making mistakes, or slacking off. They worked their butts off pulling blank after blank. Maybe the Harris boys did pull the plug a bit early, but when you have exceed you budget and have not made dollar one sometimes it is best to cut your losses. I am looking forward to seeing the new skipper and hope the opies season goes well.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Thanks for posting that. I have been wondering what the scoop on the situation was. From what we were shown I was siding with the Harris boys. The new skipper had one job, find crab, and he failed at that. The crew was not screwing around, making mistakes, or slacking off. They worked their butts off pulling blank after blank. Maybe the Harris boys did pull the plug a bit early, but when you have exceed you budget and have not made dollar one sometimes it is best to cut your losses. I am looking forward to seeing the new skipper and hope the opies season goes well.

Amen. Everything you just said. I hate the thought of 'picking sides' particularly when it's a situation that we only get the smallest of windows to peek at. What we see on tv is edited and subject to whatever gets cut into each episode. However, before the CM ever left the dock Derrick was showing his a$$ and taking digs in very inappropriate subject matter. As the episodes wore on that behavior repeated itself over and over. That's where I had a problem. How do you teach anyone anything when you have nothing nice to say?

I'm glad to hear CM will be back for opies. Can't wait. I'm anxious to see some positive vibe going on again.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is one of the few shows that I keep up with. Based on what Discovery Channel is allowing us to see through the wonders of editing, I still question Jakes decision to bolt.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
BTW, my hubby was reading a blog or something from a lady that went on that crab fisherman tour thing that Derrick is now a part of. She said she had words with him and quoted a bunch of crappy comments he made. Like "Sig Hansen isn't a pimple on a crab fisherman's (backside)." He said other people who also heard the comments responded on the lady's blog. Hubby said he'll try to find it again for me later so I can give y'all a link. I'm interested to read it, as well.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is one of the few shows that I keep up with. Based on what Discovery Channel is allowing us to see through the wonders of editing, I still question Jakes decision to bolt.
I don't doubt that he would have failed the drug test but it was a rather irrelevant point. He could have peed pure Dasani and it wouldn't have changed the fact that the skipper came up empty.

mickey2008.1

thanks for the link to the article. As for Jake, we will see. Cant wait for opi season. does anyone know if some of the crews will be coming back EPCOT for a meet and great?

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm not sure whether or not Jake would've come out clean if tested again before he got on that flight. Like Yoda said, whatever the outcome would've been wouldn't have put crab in the pots so it's an unrelated issue.

Yeah, I follow very few shows. Deadliest Catch is the only one we've been hardcore on from year to year. Love love love it!

NYwdwfan

thanks for the link to the article. As for Jake, we will see. Cant wait for opi season. does anyone know if some of the crews will be coming back EPCOT for a meet and great?

I hope so! Sig and Edgar were in Norway the first day of our 2009 trip but the kiddies wanted to go to MK first, not EPCOT. I would love to meet some of those guys!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom