Dead Flamingos?

EpcotServo

Now that I think about it, I've never met an Anime fan who didn't like Disney, either. Hence the success of Kingdom Hearts, not to mention TDR's wildly popular parks in Japan.

I know, I REALLY don't get where that article is coming from.
:lol: :shrug:

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, I admit it. Had dinner tonight with old pal @EPCOT Explorer (he's 37 now, unemployed, living in a trailer park with eight family members and working at a 7-11 despite having approximately 11 degrees, but other than that, he's doing great!) and it made me wonder about the old days here in MAGIC Land.

And when I went to search some old threads this one was the first to catch my eyes.

I really enjoyed the blasts from the past. And it's a bit sad that so many folks are gone (not JT, he was gone back then and he's still gone ... I think he resides on one of those 17,000 worlds that Star Wars universe covers). Had totally forgotten that mystery wrapped in a conundrum that called itself 'Enigma'. And whatever happened to @EpcotServo ... does he post here anymore?

I also found it amusing that this thread is as fitting now as when it was last posted in (late 2008). Since Flamingo Crossing is still DOA and since Disney still hasn't announced its latest plans for 'fixing' TSFKaPI, although I keep hearing SOON.

But while DD is about to see some action, it looks like FC is still a great place to take someone for a quickee on a dark night ... or in broad daylight ... anyone got any tumbleweed smileys?

BTW, this just shows you that even when considerable construction work is done, it doesn't mean the end project ever will be.

'Tis time to Remember the MAGIC!

EpcotServo

OK, I admit it. Had dinner tonight with old pal @EPCOT Explorer (he's 37 now, unemployed, living in a trailer park with eight family members and working at a 7-11 despite having approximately 11 degrees, but other than that, he's doing great!) and it made me wonder about the old days here in MAGIC Land.

And when I went to search some old threads this one was the first to catch my eyes.

I really enjoyed the blasts from the past. And it's a bit sad that so many folks are gone (not JT, he was gone back then and he's still gone ... I think he resides on one of those 17,000 worlds that Star Wars universe covers). Had totally forgotten that mystery wrapped in a conundrum that called itself 'Enigma'. And whatever happened to @EpcotServo ... does he post here anymore?

I also found it amusing that this thread is as fitting now as when it was last posted in (late 2008). Since Flamingo Crossing is still DOA and since Disney still hasn't announced its latest plans for 'fixing' TSFKaPI, although I keep hearing SOON.

But while DD is about to see some action, it looks like FC is still a great place to take someone for a quickee on a dark night ... or in broad daylight ... anyone got any tumbleweed smileys?

BTW, this just shows you that even when considerable construction work is done, it doesn't mean the end project ever will be.

'Tis time to Remember the MAGIC!

The question isn't whatever happened...it's whenever happened.

Heh. I'm still here. Still Updatin' on the Updatepage. I retired from frequent posting to spend more time posturing/yelling at/enjoying the parks with family. Too much serious business going here all the time. I pop in occasionally, but if anyone needs me they'll turn on the ServoSignal out back.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The question isn't whatever happened...it's whenever happened.

Heh. I'm still here. Still Updatin' on the Updatepage. I retired from frequent posting to spend more time posturing/yelling at/enjoying the parks with family. Too much serious business going here all the time. I pop in occasionally, but if anyone needs me they'll turn on the ServoSignal out back.

Good to see you! I have to admit to not paying attention to the updatepage. I am busy posturing/yelling about/and sometimes enjoying the parks with family to do more than check out threads on such serious subjects as new places to drain my bladder in at MK.

Ignohippo

We drove by FC just last week (on the way to funeral) and I had to chuckle as I drove by. It's hard to believe the same people who shuttered PI and were responsible for that mess weren't sent out the door with their staplers.

Regardless of what some may say, IMO, FC would have been fantastic for the average WDW guest. It'd be so nice to not have to deal with that back gate traffic and go miles off-property when all you want to do is get a quick non-Disneyed bite or need to get something from a drug store or supermarket. And that doesn't even mention the truly "value" motels that would have been built with rooms probably in the $50-65 range.

As it is now, Disney is totally losing that income to off-property businesses. There's no reason at all not to keep that business on-property. Disney would probably make more money from the real estate fees than any money they'd lose from guests wandering away from the Disney-owned properties. IMO, it'd be a win-win.

I still hope it happens one day.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We drove by FC just last week (on the way to funeral) and I had to chuckle as I drove by. It's hard to believe the same people who shuttered PI and were responsible for that mess weren't sent out the door with their staplers.

Regardless of what some may say, IMO, FC would have been fantastic for the average WDW guest. It'd be so nice to not have to deal with that back gate traffic and go miles off-property when all you want to do is get a quick non-Disneyed bite or need to get something from a drug store or supermarket. And that doesn't even mention the truly "value" motels that would have been built with rooms probably in the $50-65 range.

As it is now, Disney is totally losing that income to off-property businesses. There's no reason at all not to keep that business on-property. Disney would probably make more money from the real estate fees than any money they'd lose from guests wandering away from the Disney-owned properties. IMO, it'd be a win-win.

I still hope it happens one day.

I would strongly disagree. FC was just another greedy move by TWDC to develop every square inch of 'the Florida property' ... it was a stupid move and a sortsighted one.

If you pull out of DAK and onto Sherberth Road, it's literally about 5 minutes to dozens of dining options from McD's to Chick-Fil-A to Longhorn to Red Lobster to etc etc ... and there are Walgreen's on every corner ... and quickee marts. And more than enough motels with rooms in a true value category.

There was absolutely no need for FC to exist, but greed. And like a lot of greed from that 2005-2007 era, things didn't work out as well as people would have expected.

Look at all the folks who live nearby who bought homes for $300-400-500K that are worth a tiny fraction of that. Look at all the small businesses that shuttered. Or all the national chains that closed units in O-Town.

It was pure greed and excess and was a product that wasn't needed then and isn't needed now.

But I'm thinking of making a secret evil lair on the property. No one will ever find it!

luv

I never really understood exactly what was going to be at FC. But I adore flamingos, so I always thought a place with bunches of them (tacky or not) would be fun.

FC is the reason I always say I don't really believe it until its open, lol.

StageFrenzy

I never really understood exactly what was going to be at FC. But I adore flamingos, so I always thought a place with bunches of them (tacky or not) would be fun.

FC is the reason I always say I don't really believe it until its open, lol.

Busch gardens has a lovely collection of real ones in a picturesque setting.

Nemo14

So d̶o̶e̶s̶ did Epcot....

frown.gif

MaryJaneP

Careful, careful everyone. If FC is really dead, beware of Downtown Crossings - a mish mash of the worst of the worst. I cling to the hope that things are headed in a positive direction but I really fear the movement will be in the negative direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom