DCL check-in @ MCO..where???

joanna71985

I like checking in at MCO for the cruise. I did that in Feb for the Dream, and I'll be doing it again in Oct. I just find it easier

Disneyfalcon

DisenyFalcony, thank you for the reply! So the upgrade fairy/supervisor desk is at PC or MCO? I know with the cruiselines I have been on (Carnival, RC, & NCL) an upgrade at port is almost unheard of. How common is this with DCL? Can you negotiate it a couple of days in advance over the phone? Once Norwegian called me 5 days before departure asking for $100 for an upgrade to a balcony.

Its at Port Canaveral! Even if you check in at MCO, the supervisor's desk is where you want to ask in Port Canaveral.

If you're on a cruise during a slow time of year, there are often, at least a few, upgrades available. During busy times of year it's less likely though not unheard of.

Several years ago you actually could negotiate it over the phone. People called DCL and asked if there were rooms available and could they get a discounted upgraded. Now that's a thing of the past. The only discounted upgrades are in the port.

There's never a ton of upgrades, so if you're interesteed you need to check in and ask as soon as possible!

Also, does anyone have a picture of the supervisor desk? Or do I just ask a castmember? Are DCL employees called castmembers too? Sorry for all of the questions.

The supervisor's desk is on the far right as you are looking at the check in area. I have a picture of the sign I can look for but I'm not sure how much that will help. As you come up the stairs, on your left you'll see the check in line. If you've already checked in, keep going past the line and then turn left.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
DisenyFalcony, thank you for the reply! So the upgrade fairy/supervisor desk is at PC or MCO? I know with the cruiselines I have been on (Carnival, RC, & NCL) an upgrade at port is almost unheard of. How common is this with DCL? Can you negotiate it a couple of days in advance over the phone? Once Norwegian called me 5 days before departure asking for $100 for an upgrade to a balcony.

It's my understanding you can still book on DCL up to a couple days before the ships sail so I don't think they'll negotiate before the day of sailing. On the day of sailing the cost to upgrade is significantly discounted. They calculate the cost from the category you are in to the category you want using a chart. I don't think the price is negotiable. Sailings that have more available inventory will be the ones that you'll be more likely to score upgrades on. So during holidays and busier times I wouldn't expect there to be much availability if at all to upgrade. However, there are last minute cancellations so it never hurts to ask. Recently on another fan forum someone reported that they were on the Fantasy in July and scored a port upgrade to a royal suite (the Roy) at a cost of like $2700. I have no idea what category they upgraded from off the top of my head but another person looked to see what the cost currently was to book a royal suite on the Fantasy next summer. They only found 1 sailing and it showed a price of like $31k. That means that person who upgraded scored something in the ballpark of 90% off rack rate. That's unbelievable! I can't figure the percentages for you but I'm willing to offer up the cost of our upgrade from a standard balcony stateroom on a 5-night Magic this past May to a 1-bedroom suite for my family of 4. We paid $1200 making our cruise fare something like $3600. If we'd booked that 1-bedroom stateroom at rack rate we'd have paid probably closer to $8k. Also, it's my understanding the higher the category you upgrade to the deeper the discount percentage grows.

The supervisors desk is at the port, not MCO. If you do your check-in and take Disney's transfers from MCO you still have to get to the supervisor's desk at the port to check on upgrade availability.

You can watch availability on your cruise via DCL's website. Like right now if I try to book a concierge room or 1 bedroom suite on our current upcoming sailing I can see that there's 8 staterooms available in each of those room categories. I'll be watching all the way 'til the last minute and the website closes booking for our cruise to monitor availability. I'd love to score a concierge level upgrade but just to get to a balcony would be fantastic!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Okay. I think this is an old pic because I don't see the concierge area at the end by the windows like I remember it from May. Anywhoo, this is basically what you see when you walk into the cruise terminal at PC. See the lines and the desk on the far left in the pic? All the way down closest to that blue wall with the diamond pattern on it is where the supervisor's desk will be. Check-in is the same desk just closer to where the end where the person taking the pic is standing. Does that make sense? Yes, there is currently a sign in place plus there will be tons of CMs around who can point you in the right direction if you ask them. :D

P50600221.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Found some! Of course the supervisor's desk will be in a different location in different terminals, so this is for Port Canaveral.

This is the top of the stairs, just getting off the escalator. The entrance to the ship is ahead and to the left. The seating area is on the right and the check in desks are on the left:

DisneyFantasyInaugural1094.jpg

The supervisor's desk will be at the far right of all the desks on the left.

Earmarked3113.jpg

This sign is above most desks:

DisneyFantasyInaugural1110.jpg

This sign is above the supervisor's desk. Can you hear the angels? :)

GirlsCruise049web.jpg

Disneyfalcon

I've upgraded to a verandah once, and we've asked a few times. For Alaska we tried, but we couldn't get there early (we barely got there at all :)) and they were out. For a Caribbean cruise we asked and were tempted by an upgrade to a one bedroom, but we didnt. Two other cruises we've asked and there were none available.

I'm definitely hoping to upgrade in September.

Kelly described it very well. If you look at what category you are assigned to now and what you would like to go to you can get a rough idea of price.

The upgrade price is determined by the difference in cost between those two categories. You will usually pay between 30%-50% of the price difference. There is often even a bigger discount for concierge.

I would never tell someone to book a category they won't be happy in, in the hopes that they can upgrade in the port because there are many many sailings where there is nothing available. But if you've got a little extra cash and want to try, do it!

You could score a great deal! :)

Gavman

We're booked on the Dream in September. We'll be staying at the Contemporary for 5 days before the cruise. Can check in at the Resort prior to the Cruise? We're using the ME from the Resort to the Port as well. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom