DCA Setting Records and WDW

HenryMystic

The bolded is where I have a problem. It's fine that people have different opinions on things. We all have had different experiences in the world and view its progression through different windows. But to make a hyperbolically opinionated statement like that and try to pass it off as the truth isn't reasonable. Maybe you have felt wdw hasn't given you the guest services you have come to expect. But to use your own experiences as universal proof that wdw doesn't care about any individual guest is just simply not true.
There are still great CMs who still "get it" but they can sometimes be few and far between. I've also seen people who would make great CMs repeatedly shot down by casting,

Californian Elitist

No, it's pretty much the same out there.
The difference is that WDW is becoming more a hotel and real estate interest. The parks are transitioning from being the focal point, to being the bait that entices more timeshare sales. Thus management's reluctance to invest any more than what is necessary to just maintain the status quo.

Disneyland is still all about the parks.
Same focus on getting your money, but two different ways of going about it.

Alright, gotcha. Not surprised about the money-hungry aspect, as I faithfully give it to them each year.

spacemt354

Chili's
But how about when people that actually work for the company tell you that they don't really care about the individual guest?
That isn't opinion or personal experience, it's a business model.

Like it or not, to Disney we are all just $ with Mickey ears.
If someone who works for the company tells me that they don't care about the individual guest, that is a personal experience, and one that I have never had. My cousin works for disney. Never once have I heard him say anything regarding disney not caring about their guests. And why would disney call people "guests" if they don't care? Why not just call them customers?

Captain Chaos

If someone who works for the company tells me that they don't care about the individual guest, that is a personal experience, and one that I have never had. My cousin works for disney. Never once have I heard him say anything regarding disney not caring about their guests. And why would disney call people "guests" if they don't care? Why not just call them customers?

Someone really doesn't know business... Calling people guests is a business ploy... Make the guest think they are top priority... When your out of school and learning about Corporate America, you'll see Disney really doesn't care about guests...

sponono88

The difference is that WDW is becoming more a hotel and real estate interest. The parks are transitioning from being the focal point, to being the bait that entices more timeshare sales. Thus management's reluctance to invest any more than what is necessary to just maintain the status quo.

I imagine the same would be true for Disneyland if they actually had the space to build hotels, resorts, and DVC. They do what they can when they have a bit of space to spare (like the DVC wing of the Grand Californian) but otherwise have no choice but to focus on the parks.

Disneyland: the blessing of NO space! ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Someone really doesn't know business... Calling people guests is a business ploy... Make the guest think they are top priority... When your out of school and learning about Corporate America, you'll see Disney really doesn't care about guests...
At least they teach me correct grammar at school. (When *you're* out of school) Anyway, even if it is a business ploy, from what I have experienced, Disney has treated my family and I as the top priority, on both coasts. People are always going to find certain mistakes a company has made over time. Nevertheless, until we have a bad experience with the company and we are not treated as guests, we will continue to go back.

RSoxNo1

Oh c'mon. People don't want quality, area/land/attraction/park/resort specific merchandise! they want stuff that says Disney Parks on it ... or Grumpy tees and Tink hoodies that you can easily make with WDW on some and DL on others.

I'm sure that's what all the merchandising wizards (yeah, double meaning there) at Maingate say when they further Walmart the product.
What about great unique merchandise like this?

400000108070MS

I'm arriving in Anaheim late tomorrow, and I'll only be there for 3 full days. One thing I'm looking forward to there is that there are so many places to eat that are excellent and still reasonably priced. We have one reservation at Blue Bayou, but the reality is that even during the crowded summer months, I'd be able to walk in there with a wait of under an hour. If Blue Bayou was in the Magic Kingdom in Florida it would be more popular than Le Cellier. The reason for this is the very low percentage of guests that use the dining plan in Disneyland. This is just one of the many differences between the two resorts where the focus is still on quality offerings as opposed to getting your money up front.

The Empress Lilly

The bolded is where I have a problem. It's fine that people have different opinions on things. We all have had different experiences in the world and view its progression through different windows. But to make a hyperbolically opinionated statement like that and try to pass it off as the truth isn't reasonable. Maybe you have felt wdw hasn't given you the guest services you have come to expect. But to use your own experiences as universal proof that wdw doesn't care about any individual guest is just simply not true.
You are talking about something different. With 'WDW doesn't care about any individual guests' WDW1974 does not mean a service level to the guest. He means that customers are thought to be interchangeable and in unlimited supply.

So for example, for a business model, one can give customers the best service in the world, and still not care about any individual guest.

Captain Chaos

At least they teach me correct grammar at school. (When *you're* out of school) Anyway, even if it is a business ploy, from what I have experienced, Disney has treated my family and I as the top priority, on both coasts. People are always going to find certain mistakes a company has made over time. Nevertheless, until we have a bad experience with the company and we are not treated as guests, we will continue to go back.

Kudo, grammar nazi, you noticed a typo... Awesome bro, makes you king of WDWMagic LOL...

Disney doesn't care about you.... Hard to understand right??? Blows your world away??? Well it is reality... Hard facts are NO COMPANY CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.... You'll see once you are out of school and mommy takes the leashes off you... Reality will hit you hard....

spacemt354

Chili's
Kudo, grammar nazi, you noticed a typo... Awesome bro, makes you king of WDWMagic LOL...

Disney doesn't care about you.... Hard to understand right??? Blows your world away??? Well it is reality... Hard facts are NO COMPANY CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.... You'll see once you are out of school and mommy takes the leashes off you... Reality will hit you hard....
Ahh words in capslock!! :eek: ...now I must be wrong :rolleyes:. It's fine that you think your generalizations about the company are universal truths, but until the "reality" hits me hard, I will continue to have faith and believe that wdw cares about their guests.

Captain Chaos

Ahh words in capslock!! :eek: ...now I must be wrong :rolleyes:. It's fine that you think your generalizations about the company are universal truths, but until the "reality" hits me hard, I will continue to have faith and believe that wdw cares about their guests.

You are in for a rude awakening....

lazyboy97o

You're confusing a micro situation and a macro situation. They're not the same.

rioriz

I think the issues that people need to stop doing is using generalities instead of specifics. There is a different tone between "WDW does not care about the individual" than "Execs higher in the company do not care about the individual, only the bottom line". It is difficult to decipher through the internet the demeanor and meaning of statements when using generalities. That, in the end is what is wrong with much society today. Gives me chills when I hear people throwing out stuff like "All Republicans..Blacks don't care...Demorcats are this".

I have had several friends friends visit recently and reported several individual experiences that truly made their vacation...sometimes we get too caught up in concentrating on the noise that comes from the neighbors house to recognize the many quiet nights in betwen...

spacemt354

Chili's
I think the issues that people need to stop doing is using generalities instead of specifics. There is a different tone between "WDW does not care about the individual" than "Execs higher in the company do not care about the individual, only the bottom line". It is difficult to decipher through the internet the demeanor and meaning of statements when using generalities. That, in the end is what is wrong with much society today. Gives me chills when I hear people throwing out stuff like "All Republicans..Blacks don't care...Demorcats are this".

I have had several friends friends visit recently and reported several individual experiences that truly made their vacation...sometimes we get too caught up in concentrating on the noise that comes from the neighbors house to recognize the many quiet nights in betwen...

I agree with you. A lot of media talk heads on channels like Fox News, msnbc, etc, use sweeping generalizations to further their own beliefs, which I feel too, has influenced society to do the same. I can understand that not every one of the 60,000+ employees and executives for wdw care fully about their guests. Some work just for a paycheck from wdw, and don't worry about an individual guest's experience. But giving an across the board statement like "WDW doesn't care about any individual guest" represents the attitude of every person who works for the company. If people are more specific in their statements, then debate and discussion can go on about those specifics, rather than having to spend time trying to decipher through the cloudiness and falsities of someone's remark.

jt04

Original Poster

Odd you have one standard for Universal and another for Disney.

Lee

Adventurer
But giving an across the board statement like "WDW doesn't care about any individual guest" represents the attitude of every person who works for the company. If people are more specific in their statements, then debate and discussion can go on about those specifics, rather than having to spend time trying to decipher through the cloudiness and falsities of someone's remark.
I think you're still missing the point.
It isn't about the attitudes of the individual CMs towards the guests. 90% of the CMs treat guests very well.

It's about the company's business model, whereby an individual guest's value to the company not great. They know that there is a nearly bottomless supply of new guests that will continue to visit the property despite any real or perceived decline in quality.
You and I as individual guests don't matter in this business model, but the millions of potential future guests do.

lazyboy97o

I agree with you. A lot of media talk heads on channels like Fox News, msnbc, etc, use sweeping generalizations to further their own beliefs, which I feel too, has influenced society to do the same. I can understand that not every one of the 60,000+ employees and executives for wdw care fully about their guests. Some work just for a paycheck from wdw, and don't worry about an individual guest's experience. But giving an across the board statement like "WDW doesn't care about any individual guest" represents the attitude of every person who works for the company. If people are more specific in their statements, then debate and discussion can go on about those specifics, rather than having to spend time trying to decipher through the cloudiness and falsities of someone's remark.
Again, it is not issue of individual experiences. It is very much possible to be indifferent regarding the mass of people and their experiences while still wanting to maintain some level of individual customer service. It is also just as possible that, as people move closer to the front lines, they are more concerned about the individual experiences because they are far more affected. A front line Cast Member just interested in collecting a paycheck still has incentive to at the very least not ruffle any feathers, because incurring complaints and other negatives put continued employment at risk. The manager need not care, because the system is taking care of itself to an extent.

Just because your cousin works at Walt Disney World does not in and of itself mean much. He may just not be at the level where the lack of concern can be expressed. His coworkers may realize that he is a "Waltie" and, like they do with guests, will not speak honestly and in such terms.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think you're still missing the point.
It isn't about the attitudes of the individual CMs towards the guests. 90% of the CMs treat guests very well.

It's about the company's business model, whereby an individual guest's value to the company not great. They know that there is a nearly bottomless supply of new guests that will continue to visit the property despite any real or perceived decline in quality.
You and I as individual guests don't matter in this business model, but the millions of potential future guests do.

"The first year (of Disneyland) I leased out the parking concession, brought in the usual security guards -- things like that -- but soon realized my mistake. I couldn't have outside help and still get over my idea of hospitality. So now we recruit and train every one of our employees. I tell the security police, for instance, that they are never to consider themselves cops. They are there to help people. The visitors are our guests. It's like running a fine restaurant. Once you get the policy going, it grows." -- Walt Disney

Until you can prove with evidence that the above business philosophy is completely gone from the disney company, and somehow they have adopted a new method in which they don't care about the guests, I find it hard to believe you. Why would disney keep a record of people's visits to the world? If they thought there was a bottomless pit of new guests to visit, why would they care how many times you visited, or if you are coming back? It doesn't make much sense. If it's all just a business ploy as someone had said, then they go pretty far with it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Until you can prove with evidence that the above business philosophy is completely gone from the disney company, and somehow they have adopted a new method in which they don't care about the guests, I find it hard to believe you. Why would disney keep a record of people's visits to the world? If they thought there was a bottomless pit of new guests to visit, why would they care how many times you visited, or if you are coming back? It doesn't make much sense. If it's all just a business ploy as someone had said, then they go pretty far with it.

If Disney knows where you like to stay, where you like to eat, and what you ride, then they can tailor future offers for your family to keep you coming back again and again. Not a bad business model for retaining repeat customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom