DAK looking to add a Panda?

JimboJones123

I don't know if there has been any progress, but this would be huge. On top of being a huge draw, it would be fairly CHEAP to implement.

My word, me supporting a cheap idea. What's gotten into me?:lol:

When you think a possible $100 Mil for an Ariel ride, this may be a bargin.

mickeysaver

We want to see Pandas again. We took a trip to San Diego last year and the kiddos fell in love with the Pandas. Especially seeing the baby. We are going to DC next summer, but would love for AK to get a few. With the expansion of the park, this would be a HUGE draw, and also be a real crowd eater.

Come to Atlanta to see Mei Lan and Xi Lan, who are our special babies at ZooAtlanta! Of course we also have their parents, Lun Lun and Yang Yang are still a lot of fun to see too. With Stone Mountain Park, the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coke, the Atlanta Braves, and so much more to see and enjoy here, you could definately find things to keep you busy, as well as get your Panda fix. Oh, and I can't believe that I almost forgot, the Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts has an extensive collection of Muppets that were donated from the Henson family to the museum. I am hoping to go see it for myself real soon.

As for seeing pandas at AK, I can only dream.

magicmaya

Come to Atlanta to see Mei Lan and Xi Lan, who are our special babies at ZooAtlanta! Of course we also have their parents, Lun Lun and Yang Yang are still a lot of fun to see too. With Stone Mountain Park, the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coke, the Atlanta Braves, and so much more to see and enjoy here, you could definately find things to keep you busy, as well as get your Panda fix. Oh, and I can't believe that I almost forgot, the Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts has an extensive collection of Muppets that were donated from the Henson family to the museum. I am hoping to go see it for myself real soon.

As for seeing pandas at AK, I can only dream.

I live in atlanta and I hate it! It's sooo boring.

RSoxNo1

There was a post on Blue Sky Disney about Disney creating Asia Specific content to promote their park in Hong Kong, and the potential park in Shanghai. Among the things mentioned was a Panda character. I know back when this original thread (or a similar one) was being discussed, I speculated that Disney creating an animated Panda movie (Kung Fu Panda anyone?) would help get children interested in Pandas if they were to be on display at the Animal Kingdom. This was largely because of what I overhear every time at the Meerkat exhibit on Pangani Forest, "ooh look, Timon".

Disney does need to add more animals to the Animal Kingdom. Initially the Asia section was to have a skytram ride that would include real animals (Snow Leopards, Musk Ox) and mythical animals (Yeti/Abominable Snowman). I believe a reference to the species list that would have been involved in this attraction is found either in Maharajah Jungle Trek or the queue for Kali River Rapids. If Disney is to add more animals to this park another Asia walk through, or Asian Safari would work. There are several Asian animals that aren't represented in the park: Giant Panda, Red Pandas, Snow Leopards, Orangutan, etc. I think a walk through that included all of these animals would be a huge addition to the park, probably more so than an Australia addition. I also think that there is enough cleared land in Asia for this to happen, and the land isn't easily accessible for ride access, so a walk through may be the best approach. Can someone confirm this?

toystorymaniacs

I live in Atlanta and we are Zoo members. Atlanta's lease on the Pandas is actually up at the end of the year. Mei Lan will be going to China to find a mate and her Daddy (most likely) will be going back to. The Mommy and baby will hopefully be staying for awhile longer, It is very expensive to ge the from China, but I would love to see them AK add Pandas.

Jon_in_NC

I posted on this thread years ago when it first started. And I still would love to see AK get Pandas. They are such fascinating animals and who better to provide an accurate living habitat for them than Disney. Also, what better way to reach a huge audience in promoting the importance of protecting them than having them at Disney.

-

jmuboy

I know some of you do not trust in rumors that Screamscape puts out, but I have found them to be right on with many things that have been rumored on the site. Anyway, they are reporting that DAK is trying to add a panda. I have wanted Animal Kingdom to have a Panda since it opened, so I am very excited about this rumor. Here it is from Screamscape "The Screamscape spy network claims that Disney is negotiating with China to bring Giant Pandas to Animal Kingdom. This certainly does make sense as well due to the fact that there are so very few locations in the US that are allowed to display these rare creatures from China. I believe that at this time there are only three locations in the US where you can see them: The San Diego Zoo, Zoo Atlanta and at the Smithsonian National Zoo in DC." Any thoughts on this rumor?

I love Panadas. This would be the "E Ticket" animal display DAK needs. I have wished they would add Pandas since this park opened. Since Disney nad China seem to have a decent relationship I would think Disney could pull this off fairly easily (as easy as any negotiation with China is).

jmuboy

Normally you would think this is true when it comes to Pandas. However the cost to have just one Panda is greater then what tickets, food, & merch could bring in. The main way a zoo is able to afford the animals is due to millions in private donations. This is also per year cost, not just over the animals life time.

I think Pandas would be GREAT, however working with them in the past at the national Zoo in DC, they are not the "money maker" every would assume they are.

Disney could "afford" Pandas should they choose too. The panda merchandise they could sell and gate clicks would certainly go a long way at DAK to help Disney break even, or come close, with these animals. Disney is certainly a lot more profitable than your local zoo!

KCMO

Disney could "afford" Pandas should they choose too. The panda merchandise they could sell and gate clicks would certainly go a long way at DAK to help Disney break even, or come close, with these animals. Disney is certainly a lot more profitable than your local zoo!

Indeed, your local zoo proably doesn't own several thousand hotel rooms surrounding it for Panda pilgrims to spend money at.

JimboJones123

We saw the Baby Elephant at the Columbus Zoo tonight. There was an hour and a half line. IMAGINE THE 3 STORY LINE FOR PEOPLE TO SEE DISNEY PANDAS!!!! One viewing line would in no way be enough.

Right now, there is not a single animal that has a viewing cue at DAK. In San Diego (who I'm guessing would be concidered the main competition for DAK), they have cues at the Pandas and Polar Bears. I believe they had cues for other animals as well. Not at Animal Kingdom.

Seems like they need to thake the "Animal" part of Animal Kingdom a bit more serious.

PhotoDave219

I don't know if there has been any progress, but this would be huge. On top of being a huge draw, it would be fairly CHEAP to implement.

My word, me supporting a cheap idea. What's gotten into me?:lol:

No, you're just a ______ idiot. Panda's are leased by China for $2 mil a year (2006, source: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/national/12panda.html?_r=2&oref=slogin )

Seeing Disney enter into a 40 million dollar contract for a 20 year lease of a pair of Pandas seems highly unlikely. Plus habitat, plus feeding, infrastructure costs, enclosures, park expansion, etc, and you're talking some serious outlay of cash.

I personally am in favor of adding Pandas to DAK but it'll never happen.

SirGoofy

Still Pandas are a much better idea then say 'Camp Minnie-Mickey' ever was.

Agreed. Of course CMM was the "Oh crap we already cleared this land for Beastly Kingdom what are we gonna do now?" Land.

Still, at least we got Festival of the Lion King out of it...even if it would fit better in Africa...:zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom