D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

Disstevefan1

… Which is still very similar to what they were going to do until March of 2020 hit them. The main difference between this and the pre-COVID site plan was that they decided not to knock down the southern portion of East CommuniCore, plus they abandoned whatever was supposed to be happening on the bridge to World Showcase, though that was fairly non-descript in the art.
Yes, the whole EPCOT thing turned out to be a huge disappointment.

And what's worse is, we are stuck with is what we will have for a long time.

This EPCOT mistake is up there ( but not as worse) with Rocket Rods.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair about D23 prior to 2019, most of the stuff that gets announced at d23 usually happens. D23 2019 was basically an outlier and an anomaly when it came to things not happening. The only real time projects prior to 2019 didn't actually happen that we're already announced was the Main Street theater, but aside from that I think basically everything happened. Mostly. With that being said, the company is very different from what it used to be and I would not expect a large presentation filled with million different announcements. All I'm expecting this year is updates on tropical Americas and in my mind. Anything other than that is the cherry on top.
The tendency to mothball, decease and cancel has steadily increased over the last 15 years…

These are not park people in charge. Not good at much else these days either

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
… Which is still very similar to what they were going to do until March of 2020 hit them. The main difference between this and the pre-COVID site plan was that they decided not to knock down the southern portion of East CommuniCore, plus they abandoned whatever was supposed to be happening on the bridge to World Showcase, though that was fairly non-descript in the art.
There was nothing stopping them from investing and strengthening their parks…either at that time or in retrospect

"Show Floor Activations"? Is this Disney's terminology again?

Like the broken lights in Epcot?

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I bet the Horizons name is something like "You'll be able to experience Horizons again virtually thanks to our partners at Epic Games" although I wouldn't necessarily be apposed to resurrecting dead attractions through video games. Just as long it doesn't start to replace actual investment into the parks.

James Alucobond

There was nothing stopping them from investing and strengthening their parks…either at that time or in retrospect
Didn’t say there was. I thought the implication of the original post was that the 2018 rendering was super different from the intended plans once construction began, which was not the case. It was very similar aside from preserving a bit more of CommuniCore.

Disstevefan1

Disagree. RR is a sad eyesore and one attraction. Unused Peoplemover track is nothing compared to so many of these “improvements” over the last few years.
The EPCOT renovation was bad - BUT -

In my opinion, the failed re theme from people mover to Rocket Rods that not only failed as an attraction but also destroyed the people mover track such that you cant even revert it back and the mistake is there for for all to see forever, this is THE WORST re theme in the history of TWDC

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Epcot was down and they pooched half of what they “built”…so the cumulative, long term effect is much worse
The D23 money carrying meat sacks will be blessed with the DAK South America Expansion and the MK BBTM. Throw in a couple more Blue Sky concepts and they'll need to start pumping more oxygen into the room with all the collective gasping from the Low-Information Pixie Dusters.

What has really ever come out of these things that has ever been a major unexpected surprise?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
No, "activation" is a marketing term used today. Basically, they mean there will be kiosks, displays or activities to connect the brand/product with consumers to increase awareness or excitement. Maybe they will give stuff away, character interactions, or some sort of performances.
All in the hopes of organic brand synergy being developed via social media engagement and interactions.

100% artificial with none of the flavor but all of the filling.

I feel like I need a shower now.

Moth

So what I’m getting from this is still expect nothing from Epcot despite what sources say? Well that’s expected. The COP thing could be cool, but from what you say it sounds a bit less than the bears and potential tiki room update. I hope at least they actually do stuff for WDW this year that will be good. I’m really hoping this is actually a good year for d23. I dunno wether to be optimistic or pessimistic.
Imo wouldn't go that far, I expect something for Epcot thar isn't TT.

montyz81

Why did they use the word “Horizons”? I know I am pulling up a bad topic, but is there link to the once famed ride?
1720801838477.jpeg

Moth

Nope

Olc isn’t stupid enough to replace something their public loves for crap that they can’t get any interest in.
It would NOT be Tiana. OLC has passed on Tiana SEVERAL times. TDL is safe from theirs becoming Tiana, but not safe from it becoming something else entirely. The property chosen would be a crowd pleaser I feel. Just bear with it if it happens.

IF it happens. I don't usually get international sources.

Why did they use the word “Horizons”? I know I am pulling up a bad topic, but is there link to the once famed ride? View attachment 799710
Despite what my sources say, I have my doubts there's gonna be an outright connection, maybe it's because I've been burned too many times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom