D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

doctornick

A redo of the CoP finale that’s sort of Horizons inspired could actually be really cool. I would expect to see the Robot Butler in there if that ends up happening. What do you mean by EPCOT fans breaking free; I thought this presentation would be pretty EPCOT-light?

I'm pretty sure that is just a reference to "Fun to Be Free" and the current (at least partially) WoM-inspired makeover of Test Track.

Bocabear

I believe Horizons has meaning but unfortunately nothing to do with our beloved attraction. I truly believe they are setting the stage for this to be Iger’s version of his Disney Decade. This is the dawn of a new era in Disney parks. At least that’s what they will try and make us believe and more importantly try and make Wall Street believe. With Wall Street analysts publicly calling out Disney for their lack of response to Epic and the Domestic Parks stalled growth they need to show some specifics now on how they plan on “turbocharging” this segment with the 60 billion they’ve committed to. Will they go as big as Eisner’s Disney Decade announcement? I doubt it but they will try.
So....the Dawn of the new Era in Disney Parks is represented by a Marriott Style hotel addition at the Polynesian Resort, and a "Flex Space" cafeteria hall in the central core of EPCOT...also shuttered attractions like Alien Encounter and the entire Wonders Of Life Pavilion... Truly everything that was announced at D23 for EPCOT ended up being a mis-fired disaster. Disney Play, Mary Poppins Attraction, Festival Center, Wishing Tree, New Fountain of Nations...Harmonious... Seems like every project was either misplaced or cancelled or failed to live up to the hype... I feel like D23 is just going to be a lot of cheerleading and hype with no truth or plan to bring anything announced to completion....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So....the Dawn of the new Era in Disney Parks is represented by a Marriott Style hotel addition at the Polynesian Resort, and a "Flex Space" cafeteria hall in the central core of EPCOT...also shuttered attractions like Alien Encounter and the entire Wonders Of Life Pavilion... Truly everything that was announced at D23 for EPCOT ended up being a mis-fired disaster. Disney Play, Mary Poppins Attraction, Festival Center, Wishing Tree, New Fountain of Nations...Harmonious... Seems like every project was either misplaced or cancelled or failed to live up to the hype... I feel like D23 is just going to be a lot of cheerleading and hype with no truth or plan to bring anything announced to completion....
Bob is never wrong. Which means nothing they ever do is worth questioning

But at least Peltz didn’t take over and sell them to Walmart, huh?

brb1006

I seriously hope this year's D23 won't be a complete embarrassment like Destination D23 2023 turned out last Fall. A majority of that presentation was just Josh D'Amaro and others randomly throwing around ideas while showing off Blue Sky concept art.

Rosso11

I’m not defending anything they’ve done. There was clearly a lot of poor decisions made during Covid. All I’m saying is I believe this is how they are going to spin it and market it. I believe there will be a lot of announcements. What comes to fruition is anyone’s guess. However from the insiders I do know personally, who are unfortunately very tight lipped on details, they are extremely excited for the future of the parks. Take that as you will.

Last edited:

Moth

I don't usually have a lot of international sources, I don't even have one in my frequent rotation, but if what I heard is true, one of the announcements could make a big splash.
…don’t hold your breath
yeah imo i don't reasonably expect a lot to materialize out of the 'Horizons' name here despite what my sources are telling. I expect a pin of the logo for the panel with the butler on it, and that's what I'm realistically expecting.

If the CoP thing does happen... I'd be pleasantly surprised. I don't think what I've heard about what could happen with it just having 'upgrades to higher tech AAs, and a glorified Horizons coat of paint' compared to what happened with the bears and what's flying around about the Tiki Room having a blue guy crash with them. It's less of a draw, that's just not a huge draw to an attraction not reaching capactiy. Add on the $60 bil going towards (apparently) INCREASED capacity and, yeah. Along with that, in my opinion... I don't think they'll touch anything Tiki Room or CoP in front of a live audience, Horizons or not.

This isn't me unrealistically going "omg they'll get boo's!", but having it live and just a footnote could leave a sour taste, especially since they're Walt's greatest creations. It's genuinely a better idea to give each one (if they happen!!!), a press release, blog post, and a good bit of attention. I just don't think it's time for them yet, and honestly? I don't see them ever touching the Tiki Room again after last time. At least for another decade and a half.

I'm gonna rip the Horizons band-aid a bit off, but not entirely, I don't expect anything like, notable from the name, I'm not buying the sources saying that. It's just PR stuff, especially since they just gloated "EPCOT IS DONE!!!". The not entirely is the freak event the CoP thing IS true. But that's what you get with me being an aggregate of voices really.

That's also why I don't mind people saying what I post is fake, people should be skeptical, because I've seen my sources spout some complete nonsense too.

"Monorail from AK to EPCOT", like, seriously???

Test Track will be there though, unless they drop details beforehand. But that's a genuine sucker bet.

Disstevefan1

I seriously hope this year's D23 won't be a complete embarrassment like Destination D23 2023 turned out last Fall. A majority of that presentation was just Josh D'Amaro and others randomly throwing around ideas while showing off Blue Sky concept art.

I think I have figured out what they do.

So that they have stuff to announce, they announce variations of the same thing 2 or 3 years in a row before they put a shovel in the ground.

Then what they build several years later does not resemble anything they announced the previous 2 or 3 years. ;)

Sneakman

I don't usually have a lot of international sources, I don't even have one in my frequent rotation, but if what I heard is true, one of the announcements could make a big splash.

yeah imo i don't reasonably expect a lot to materialize out of the 'Horizons' name here despite what my sources are telling. I expect a pin of the logo for the panel with the butler on it, and that's what I'm realistically expecting.

If the CoP thing does happen... I'd be pleasantly surprised. I don't think what I've heard about what could happen with it just having 'upgrades to higher tech AAs, and a glorified Horizons coat of paint' compared to what happened with the bears and what's flying around about the Tiki Room having a blue guy crash with them. It's less of a draw, that's just not a huge draw to an attraction not reaching capactiy. Add on the $60 bil going towards (apparently) INCREASED capacity and, yeah. Along with that, in my opinion... I don't think they'll touch anything Tiki Room or CoP in front of a live audience, Horizons or not.

This isn't me unrealistically going "omg they'll get boo's!", but having it live and just a footnote could leave a sour taste, especially since they're Walt's greatest creations. It's genuinely a better idea to give each one (if they happen!!!), a press release, blog post, and a good bit of attention. I just don't think it's time for them yet, and honestly? I don't see them ever touching the Tiki Room again after last time. At least for another decade and a half.

I'm gonna rip the Horizons band-aid a bit off, but not entirely, I don't expect anything like, notable from the name, I'm not buying the sources saying that. It's just PR stuff, especially since they just gloated "EPCOT IS DONE!!!". The not entirely is the freak event the CoP thing IS true. But that's what you get with me being an aggregate of voices really.

That's also why I don't mind people saying what I post is fake, people should be skeptical, because I've seen my sources spout some complete nonsense too.

"Monorail from AK to EPCOT", like, seriously???

Test Track will be there though, unless they drop details beforehand. But that's a genuine sucker bet.
So what I’m getting from this is still expect nothing from Epcot despite what sources say? Well that’s expected. The COP thing could be cool, but from what you say it sounds a bit less than the bears and potential tiki room update. I hope at least they actually do stuff for WDW this year that will be good. I’m really hoping this is actually a good year for d23. I dunno wether to be optimistic or pessimistic.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
To be fair about D23 prior to 2019, most of the stuff that gets announced at d23 usually happens. D23 2019 was basically an outlier and an anomaly when it came to things not happening. The only real time projects prior to 2019 didn't actually happen that we're already announced was the Main Street theater, but aside from that I think basically everything happened. Mostly. With that being said, the company is very different from what it used to be and I would not expect a large presentation filled with million different announcements. All I'm expecting this year is updates on tropical Americas and in my mind. Anything other than that is the cherry on top.

Disstevefan1

To be fair about D23 prior to 2019, most of the stuff that gets announced at d23 usually happens. D23 2019 was basically an outlier and an anomaly when it came to things not happening. The only real time projects prior to 2019 didn't actually happen that we're already announced was the Main Street theater, but aside from that I think basically everything happened. Mostly. With that being said, the company is very different from what it used to be and I would not expect a large presentation filled with million different announcements. All I'm expecting this year is updates on tropical Americas and in my mind. Anything other than that is the cherry on top.
Here's concept art from the 2018 event:
(The art below is a photo taken at the event.)
1720798470394.png

Starship824

In the Parks
No
View attachment 799703
I wasn't really talking about destination d23 events but yeah, there's cancelled projects and then there's Epcot's cancelled projects 😂.

James Alucobond

View attachment 799703
… Which is still very similar to what they were going to do until March of 2020 hit them. The main difference between this and the pre-COVID site plan was that they decided not to knock down the southern portion of East CommuniCore, plus they abandoned whatever was supposed to be happening on the bridge to World Showcase, though that was fairly non-descript in the art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom