D23 Parks and Resort Panel 2019

Disney Analyst

Yeah, me too. A Bug's Land closed a year ago, Labor Day 2018. And the new land opens two years later, say October, 2020? November, 2020?

I guess it helps that the Bugs theater is being re-used so they didn't have to spend a year on foundation and structure work for the Spidey ride. I guess the other stuff that would open next year is just the Ant Man micro-brewery and a gift shop and new walkways/landscaping. So two years to build that more minor stuff from the ground up is about right.

Still, an impressive turnaround from A Bug's Land to Marvel Land in two years, give or take two or three months.

It’s surprisingly fast for Disney. And they’ll have a chunk of building done for Avengers E also, I think? The facade and possibly some queue.

Californian Elitist

I, my family and thousands of other tourists who come from further than I-5 because we love DL just as much as you do, do care about those things. Beyond that I care about hotels bringing in additional capital that could be used to further guest experiences in terms of more attractions, better non-park diversions and more restaurant choices.

And that’s fine that you care, but on-site hotels aren’t of huge interest and concern for the DLR, and there probably never will be.

planodisney

And that’s fine that you care, but on-site hotels aren’t of huge interest and concern for the DLR, and there probably never will be.
Why wouldn’t easily attainable increased revenue be of interest to the DLR?
Weren’t they planning the largest Disney hotel in Anaheim before the deal with the city fell through?
I’m talking the Eastern Gateway project, not the amended west side proposal.

Californian Elitist

Weren’t they planning the largest Disney hotel in Anaheim before the deal with the city fell through?

I didn’t say increased revenue isn’t a concern. Clearly it is. However more and more onsite hotels is not a priority for said revenue.

bryanfze55

I’m not a local. I live in the Midwest, closer to WDW yet I tend to travel to DL more. One of the main reasons is I enjoy walking from my hotel to the park in 5 minutes. I don’t have to wait for those damn busses. No, it isn’t a themed Disney hotel... but I don’t care. Because it’s affordable, and I’m also in the parks all day anyway. The hotel is just a place to shower and sleep.

Now I understand some people enjoy spending time in the hotel. For them, WDW may be a better choice. Some people enjoy eating in themed table service restaurants. Personally, I think the plethora of expensive themed hotels and expensive themed restaurants makes WDW feel more corporate and less charming. WDW is a vacation destination while DL is the best theme park in the world (arguably - some day Tokyo DisneySea, but DL has unmatched history and charm). All the cash grabs at WDW have really turned me off from it.

voodoo321

Since I haven't seen anyone correct the poster that said DLP is getting a new resort I wanted to pass on the info that it is a re-theme to their Hotel New York that has been there for years. Those plans have been public for over a year now.

George Lucas on a Bench

Even as someone who flies in from out of town, I don’t care about the hotels. We stayed at DLH and PP back when they were somewhat reasonable, now they are completely insane for the value, and I refuse to spend that kind of money for it.

There isn't much advantage to staying on-site at DLR. Hotels are close and cheaper. You just have to navigate the sidewalks and avoid insane drivers and homeless weirdos.

voodoo321

I have no plans to visit WDW ever again. And I'm a east coaster/midwest. I will get my fix at Disneyland and DLP. Low crowds, beautiful parc, cheap tickets and Paris less than a 45 minute train ride away. Tokyo would be nice and maybe Hong Kong but they are a bigger stretch. I wouldn't set foot in mainland China.

planodisney

I’m not a local. I live in the Midwest, closer to WDW yet I tend to travel to DL more. One of the main reasons is I enjoy walking from my hotel to the park in 5 minutes. I don’t have to wait for those damn busses. No, it isn’t a themed Disney hotel... but I don’t care. Because it’s affordable, and I’m also in the parks all day anyway. The hotel is just a place to shower and sleep.

Now I understand some people enjoy spending time in the hotel. For them, WDW may be a better choice. Some people enjoy eating in themed table service restaurants. Personally, I think the plethora of expensive themed hotels and expensive themed restaurants makes WDW feel more corporate and less charming. WDW is a vacation destination while DL is the best theme park in the world (arguably - some day Tokyo DisneySea, but DL has unmatched history and charm). All the cash grabs at WDW have really turned me off from it.
I can totally appreciate that point of view. I’m not talking about an expansion with 20 more resorts, golf courses and water parks from Anaheim to Fountain Valley.
I’m talking about a Luxury resort, moderate resort and small expansion and reimagining of DTD.
Not just because it’s what sounds great to me.
I’m not that selfish/simple minded. But in an effort to eventually make DLR into a resort not so held hostage by AP holders. I’ve got nothing against AP’s, but it isn’t healthy to be so overly dependent on them and the park congestion it creates.
Just my 2 cents which might actually be worth a penny. 😉

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Oh, you're right. And the Marvel Land artwork says 2020 too. It will be a busy year next year, although I think Marvel Land won't open until after summer. Kind of a nice homage to A Bug's Land which opened in October, 2002.

I'll go change the timeline in the original post. Thanks!

Here's the updated timeline:

2020 - Rise Of The Resistance, Magic Happens Parade, Spiderman Dark Ride, Avengers Campus
2021 - Nothing. Morning at your leisure, afternoon Instagrammable Moments
2022 - Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Freshened Toontown
2023 - Avengers E Ticket (might open in late 2022 if construction starts this fall)

I mean, it's okay to not have a new ride open every single year. I think that's a pretty solid list for the next four years, considering SWGE was this year.

DLR also has to consider capacity. They need to find a better way to manage it from an infrastructure standpoint (parking, hotels, etc.).

For me, I get to see SWGE, RotR, and Magic Happens Parade in 2020 (I hope but seriously doubt Avengers Campus will be open when I visit in May 2020) and then will go back in probably 2024 once everything else is open.

I like this layout of what opens when. Anything like this for WDW?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I have no plans to visit WDW ever again. And I'm a east coaster/midwest. I will get my fix at Disneyland and DLP. Low crowds, beautiful parc, cheap tickets and Paris less than a 45 minute train ride away. Tokyo would be nice and maybe Hong Kong but they are a bigger stretch. I wouldn't set foot in mainland China.

It's getting increasingly difficult to plan a WDW trip. Not because of rides or anything, but because of the pricing. We've talked about doing DLR for the last year or so and finally decided to go in May 2020. Hotel is cheaper (and in walking distance), airfare is cheaper, and just more manageable to complete DLR in a trip. Plus, there's plenty else to do in Cali if we decide to do that. WDW is just getting too expensive.

planodisney

We are going to WDW in September and that will be our last Disney for a while. We did the National Parks road trip this summer and had a total blast.
Our next Disney trip will be a 5 nighter to DLR after all this is open. With a little 1 day trip to visit Nintendoland and Harry Potter up the road. Im more excited to plan that trip than I am for the trip to WDW next month.
Next year should actually be a banger of a year in Anaheim. ROTR and Avengers. I’m not a daytime parade guy so don’t really care about that except it’s a great time to get in line for Space Mountain!

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
We are going to WDW in September and that will be our last Disney for a while. We did the National Parks toad trip this summer and had a total blast.
Our next Disney trip will be a 5 nighter to DLR after all this is open. With a little 1 day trip to visit Nintendoland and Harry Potter up the road. Im more excited to plan that trip than I am for the Tripp to WDW next summer.
Next year should actually be a banger of a year in Anaheim. ROTR and Avengers. I’m not a daytime parade guy so don’t really care about that except it’s a great time to get in line for Space Mountain!

I'm right there with you. It's more fun to plan a trip to DLR then it is to plan one for WDW. WDW is so much work from a planning standpoint.

Is Nintendoland opening in 2020? I haven't kept up too much about it.

Also, does Plano in your name represent you're from Plano, TX?

planodisney

It's getting increasingly difficult to plan a WDW trip. Not because of rides or anything, but because of the pricing. We've talked about doing DLR for the last year or so and finally decided to go in May 2020. Hotel is cheaper (and in walking distance), airfare is cheaper, and just more manageable to complete DLR in a trip. Plus, there's plenty else to do in Cali if we decide to do that. WDW is just getting too expensive.
That’s funny because for us it’s just the opposite.
We would go to DLR a majority of the time but it’s cheaper for us to do WDW, at least at the comfort level with which we like to vacation.
We can stay in a nice Marriott vacation club resort 1-2 bedrooms and full kitchen for $150 a night virtually anytime of the year. To stay in something comparably nice in Anaheim I’d have to fork out $350-$400 a night, although there really isn’t anything as nice in Anaheim except the Marriott Vourtyard or the Disney hotels.
From Dallas we are flying round trip to Orlando for $387 for all 4 of us on Frontier.

planodisney

I'm right there with you. It's more fun to plan a trip to DLR then it is to plan one for WDW. WDW is so much work from a planning standpoint.

Is Nintendoland opening in 2020? I haven't kept up too much about it.

Also, does Plano in your name represent you're from Plano, TX?
Yes my wife and I love DLR so much more than WDW. The whole having to plan your fastpasses 60 days in advance and even then most of the best fastpasses are gone. It’s stressful planning a WDW vacation these days.
Yes I lived in Plano a long time but I made that name 15 years ago on laughingplace when I still lived there. Now I live just up 121 in McKinney but I’m in Plano everyday.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
That’s funny because for us it’s just the opposite.
We would go to DLR a majority of the time but it’s cheaper for us to do WDW, at least at the comfort level with which we like to vacation.
We can stay in a nice Marriott vacation club resort 1-2 bedrooms and full kitchen for $150 a night virtually anytime of the year. To stay in something comparably nice in Anaheim I’d have to fork out $350-$400 a night, although there really isn’t anything as nice in Anaheim except the Marriott Vourtyard or the Disney hotels.
From Dallas we are flying round trip to Orlando for $387 for all 4 of us on Frontier.

Yeah, we are more of the mindset of get a close hotel that may not have as many amenities, but at the same time, we are using it just to sleep. WDW would be more of the experience with the pools and character dining, etc.

From Dallas, I normally can find flights for about $500 to Orlando, but I have to time it just right with Spirit. With DLR, I tend to find more flights to LAX (or SNA) in the $100/pp range on Delta/United/AA with more flexibility on time.

Stevek

Exactly. Out here, Disney is really only concerned about high end, I mean high priced hotels. There are a ton in the area that fills the moderate, value and barley habitable buckets.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom