D23 Parks and Resort Panel 2019

Rich T

...Instead, Disney offends its fans by overhyping every new land to the extent that no fan’s expectations will be met. Then people become jaded and mock Disney every time they use the word “immersive” when hyping a new attraction or land.

Keep in mind, this only applies to diehard fans really. The average guest will love Avengers Campus.
Agree with the first part: Disney applies the same hype frosting to everything it announces.

Whether or not the GP loves Avengers Campus depends on the execution. The name’s not a great start.

PymParty

I find it crazy that the spectators of this panels are supposed to be huge disney parks fans (willing to wait hours in line for it or pay a hell lot of money to attend with a premium pass) and yet they cheer, clap and scream for each crappy announcements that lord Chapek does 😭😭
I guess we don’t share the same love of theme park quality

TP2000

Looks more cohesive than DCA will be Atleast

Sorry, I first visited EPCOT when Reagan was in office, so that's where my point of reference is.

I just don't understand what EPCOT is becoming. Or why. Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is not even the part that bothers and confuses me.

Avengers Campus underwhelms. But it replaces A Bug's Land, whose sole benefit to the park was dumb rides without height requirements and uncrowded restrooms on the short cut from Cars Land to Hollywood Land. Once the E Ticket opens, Avengers Campus appears to be a benefit to DCA overall compared to what was there for 15 years from 2002 to 2017. And I've never understood how bugs fit the California theme any better than superheros, so the park overall isn't damaged by any more thematic inconsistency than it already had from 2002 to 2017.

Last edited:

Stevek

I’m not sure how much more people really should have expected to be announced for Anaheim. They have made quite a bit of investment here going back to 2012 and Cars Land. It was quite stagnant between that and the 50th beyond the subs and ride enhancements . We just got a new SW land, will be getting an Avengers land (plus a new attraction in that land later) and a new attraction in Toontown. I get that some folks my not be happy with exactly what is being put in for various reasons but it seems a bit much to bemoan that nothing else was announced.

Rich T

I’m not sure how much more people really should have expected to be announced for Anaheim. They have made quite a bit of investment here going back to 2012 and Cars Land. It was quite stagnant between that and the 50th beyond the subs and ride enhancements . We just got a new SW land, will be getting an Avengers land (plus a new attraction in that land later) and a new attraction in Toontown. I get that some folks my not be happy with exactly what is being put in for various reasons but it seems a bit much to bemoan that nothing else was announced.
We got an acquired IP land and we’re getting another acquired IP land. I expected nothing from this D23 and was not disappointed. But, hey, a Poppins ride sounds cool. Too bad it’s going into the wrong park.

bryanfze55

Agree with the first part: Disney applies the same hype frosting to everything it announces.

Whether or not the GP loves Avengers Campus depends on the execution. The name’s not a great start.

I don’t know man... those vloggers and Instagrammers and Redditors sure seem to love Pixar Pier. Is it possible the GP will just love anything with popular IP and pretty colors?

TP2000

In all seriousness:

What clueless donkey at Disney thought “Campus” was a great word to use in a theme park land?

Maybe they’re *still* trying to figure out the secret of Potter’s success? “Hogwarts is a ‘school,’ so....”

I agree, the name is dumb. But I think it's just a product of the class of people who work in WDI and Burbank now. They are mostly under 40 and think the big tech monopolies in the Bay Area are something to aspire to. And those tech companies all have campuses; Google Campus, Apple Campus, Facebook Campus, everyone has a "campus".

They think it's a sexy word, when for most people it's actually bland and nerdy.

Last edited:

Rich T

I don’t know man... those vloggers and Instagrammers and Redditors sure seem to love Pixar Pier. Is it possible the GP will just love anything with popular IP and pretty colors?
Short term, maybe. But will they fall in love with it and bring their grandkids back years later? Probably not. But the current Disney brass don’t care about the long term.

TP2000

I'm glad they are letting Tomorrowland sit for now. With Mr. Chapek choosing land rosters and direction, it's best to let that project simmer for another year or two to see if there's a change coming to senior execs for the Parks.

While today's D23 Expo Parks Panel announcements were underwhelming from coast to coast, with no big new anything really announced except for the Avengers E Ticket at DCA, the end result is still a three year window for Disneyland Resort that is chock-full of big new rides and freshening for existing park spaces. That's four new rides over the next three years.

2020 - Rise Of The Resistance, Magic Happens Parade, Spiderman Dark Ride, Avengers Campus
2021 - Nothing. Morning at your leisure, afternoon Instagrammable Moments
2022 - Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Freshened Toontown
2023 - Avengers E Ticket (might open in late 2022 if construction starts this fall)

Last edited:

Rich T

I'm glad they are letting Tomorrowland sit for now. With Mr. Chapek choosing land rosters and direction, it's best to let that project simmer for another year or two to see if there's a change coming to senior execs for the Parks.

While today's D23 Expo Parks Panel announcements were underwhelming from coast to coast, with no big new anything really announced except for the Avengers E Ticket at DCA, the end result is still a three year window for Disneyland Resort that is chock-full of big new rides and freshening for existing park space. That's four new rides over the next three years.

2020 - Rise Of The Resistance, Magic Happens Parade
2021 - Spiderman Dark Ride, Avengers Campus
2023 - Avengers E Ticket (might open in late 2022 if construction starts this fall)
I’m happy about the Mickey ride. I’d be more excited about all this if I was a Marvel or SW fan. It’s tough being an older Disney fan these days. Suddenly Disney is just a word that stands for nothing but acquisitions.

planodisney

So DLP is getting a new hotel/resort but the original in Anaheim that attracts virtually double Paris in attendance can’t get any non-park expansion, ever!?!? Nothing of interest for DtD, themed resorts, DVC. Nothin!

bryanfze55

So DLP is getting a new hotel/resort but the original in Anaheim that attracts virtually double Paris in attendance can’t get any non-park expansion, ever!?!? Nothing of interest for DtD, themed resorts, DVC. Nothin!

Parks are what matter. People can go to WDW if they want inferior parks but superior non-park attractions.

Disneylover152

I really hate the idea of Marvel Land (refuse to call it Avengers Campus). Like I get nothing Disney has added to DCA has fit the California theme, but at least Pixar Pier vaguely fit the theme. It's a land celebrating the historic California Piers with Pixar inspired touches. Of course it isn't that with the over the top Incredibles & Inside Out areas, but at least it still somewhat represents California. Just like Cars Land, it's Route 66 with Disney touch. Marvel Land doesn't even try to fit the California theme other than the fact that the campus theme is in California. Atleast try to make it based off of Silicon Valley. It has no consistent theming whatsoever except with the awful worldwide Marvel Parks Universe story that is going to make no sense to anyone unless your non-Disney Parks fan.

How does Mission Breakout fit the theme of Marvel Land??? Why is the Tivan Collection on a Superhero Campus and if it is on the campus, wouldn't Tony Stark and the Avengers know it exist and therefore defeat the Collector? The story for Mission Breakout does not make sense with the Marvel Theme Park Universe. If he is a Marvel Villain then why does he have an entire 200 ft building in the middle of a Superhero Campus. It does not make any sense whatsoever. The new Spiderman ride sounds redundant with 2 interactive shooting dark rides in the resort. I just really don't have an opinion on it, but what we hear about it already just doesn't sound like it's going to be good. It might be fun, but it's not going to be worth the 5 hour wait time it will have all of 2020 when it opens. Especially since it's a knock of a ride from a vastly inferior park. Not unique at all.

Also I'm just really confused about this new Avengers ride. It's an Avengers ride, but you're flying to Wakanda and what type of ride is this? They are saying a unique ride system but they said Spidy was a unique ride system too and it's literally knock off Ninjago at Legoland. I don't know enough about the ride for me to have a full opinion just yet, I'm just really not looking forward to a huge silver Avengers show building looming over the resort. At least Mission Breakout has stuff on the ride that looks interesting from a distance. The Avengers ride is a silver showbuilding with nothing on it. It's going to be Disneyland's version of GotG Cosmic Rewind 🤢.

The rest of Marvel Land sounds fine. Im not a Marvel super-fan so maybe this is why I'm not looking forward to any of these Marvel additions. I like the movies, and I've watched a few of them, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan. But at the same time, I'm not a Star Wars fan at all either yet Galaxy's Edge looks AMAZING and I am really excited to experience it. Something about Marvel Land just sounds bleh to me.

(WOW that was a lot!! Just to mention I don't really mind the lack of stuff at DLR announced, especially cause WDW desperately needs new stuff and DLR is fine. Of course Tomorrowland & Hollywoodland needs major help, but I do not want Chapek touching Tomorrowland. Also, Tomorrowland sucks theming wise, but it's fine. The rides in the land are fun and decent and it's ok for now. It just sucks compared to the rest of Disneyland Park but it's fine. And I just avoid Hollywoodland anyway at DCA so I don't mind. Magic Happens sounds fine, don't really have any opinion on it, besides me just hoping it has a lot of classic movies in addition to Coco & Moana.)

Disney Analyst

While today's D23 Expo Parks Panel announcements were underwhelming from coast to coast, with no big new anything really announced except for the Avengers E Ticket at DCA, the end result is still a three year window for Disneyland Resort that is chock-full of big new rides and freshening for existing park spaces. That's four new rides over the next three years.

2020 - Rise Of The Resistance, Magic Happens Parade
2021 - Spiderman Dark Ride, Avengers Campus

I think he actually said Spider-Man opens next year. So 2020 is Avengers Campus and parade and ROTR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom