D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

TP2000

Or have two Expo locations??? East and west coast every other year between WDW and DL...

Host the convention at the Orlando Convention Center during the off season, winter months, makes folks want to come to Florida even more...

Disney would never do that. The convention facilities on WDW property are too small and too frag-men-ted to equate to anything close to the size and scope of the current D23 Expos in the massive Anaheim Convention Center (the largest convention center on the West Coast) that just happens to be directly across Katella Avenue from Disneyland.

To do a Florida D23 Expo like Anaheim, you'd have to move it to the Orlando Convention Center that is 9 miles away from Disney property on I-Drive. Assuming you could work out the logistics of transporting 50,000 people on buses per day to/from Disney property, I seriously doubt Disney would want to consider moving something like that "off property" to the I-Drive community and losing the Disney vibe.

Unless they dramatically scale down what a D23 Expo is, and then fragment it across various hotels on WDW property losing even more of that critical mass lost when the event was scaled down for WDW property, D23 Expo will never go to Florida.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

Well the sad thing is that other companies are building things. GREAT things...Disney is showing teasers for what could be expanded on in the future on projects that were announced two years ago. Look at the timelines of when Avatar was announced and what has been built at Universal in the same time frame.

It is also insulting for them to put some wooden crates and a mock Pandora "expedition" and think this will hold fans over until an actual announcement. Pathetic. I think we ALL expect a lot more from Disney but expectations are getting lower and lower.

Right On! The teases felt like lemon juice in the dessert. I am by no means a Universal fan, but I do like how they just build without saying anything. Disney just teases...without saying anything.

lazyboy97o

I specifically asked the Imagineer working the Hatbox Ghost booth if the figure was ready for installation. He shook his head, and said they would never install that particular figure, as it was just a training figure used to training new hires on Animatronics. I grinned and said something like "that particular figure huh?" He looked kind of guilty/annoyed at his word choice and shook his head. I then kinda jokingly said "You didn't say you weren't working on one," and he replied "I wouldn't be inclined to comment if we were."

Take that for what you will.
And this would then be an example of why hiring Walt Disney Imagineering is so expensive. They have no need for an elaborately dressed testing model. They're not doing public showings outside of the D23 Expo like Garner Holt Productions would be, and they're the ones now doing the vast majority of animatronic work for Disney.

Funmeister

Disney would never do that. The convention facilities on WDW property are too small and too frag-men-ted to equate to anything close to the size and scope of the current D23 Expos in the massive Anaheim Convention Center (the largest convention center on the West Coast) that just happens to be directly across Katella Avenue from Disneyland.

To do a Florida D23 Expo like Anaheim, you'd have to move it to the Orlando Convention Center that is 9 miles away from Disney property on I-Drive. Assuming you could work out the logistics of transporting 50,000 people on buses per day to/from Disney property, I seriously doubt Disney would want to consider moving something like that "off property" to the I-Drive community and losing the Disney vibe.

Unless they dramatically scale down what a D23 Expo is, and then fragment it across various hotels on WDW property losing even more of that critical mass lost when the event was scaled down for WDW property, D23 Expo will never go to Florida.

I believe Coronado Springs has the largest ballroom in the entire Southeastern United States. I have not been to D23 but I am pretty confident D23 could fit there in some fashion.

SirLink

Why not show a little of Avatar Land, the project Disney has been talking about since sept 20th 2011. This is what the show is about...right?? To hype up projects, films, animations. Or at least confirm a building date?
Wouldn't it have been cool if on that desk was a big note that said, "construction begins Sept 20th, 2013?"
That would have been saying something, without saying something.

I guess mice age was right...expect to see something new finished in the parks between 2018-2020.

No construction will take place until after the new FoTLK opens up. They kinda tipped their hand when they said the new theatre would be opening up in 2014 ... NGE strikes again. Get used to it. Go and see the better competition.

Last edited:

SirLink

I believe Coronado Springs has the largest ballroom in the entire Southeastern United States. I have not been to D23 but I am pretty confident D23 could fit there in some fashion.

Its nice weather in Cali most of the time - Florida not so much - plus it is easier to move things a few miles rather than halfway across your country.

Funmeister

Its nice weather in Cali most of the time - Florida not so much - plus it is easier to move things a few miles rather than halfway across your country.

I agree 100%. Just saying that size does not matter....in this case and this case only...lol.... MOving it to the east coast would be a logistical nightmare for everything they could display. All of those crates.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No construction will take place until after the new "Theatre In The Wild" opens up. They kinda tipped their hand when they said the new theatre would be opening up in 2014 ... NGE strikes again. Get used to it. Go and see the better competition.

Theatre in the Wild is where Finding Nemo the Musical is performed, not FotLK. I would not be surprised if Avatarland construction doesn't start until 2014, but there is no reason they couldn't start work before FotLK is moved. They could start work in the backstage areas behind CMM.

TP2000

The Coronado Ballroom at Coronado Springs is the largest ballroom on WDW property, at 64,000 square feet. That is roughly the same size as the ballroom used for Stage 23 on the third floor of the Anaheim Convention Center, where the D23 Expo presentations from Walt Disney Studios and Pixar are being presented in a 3,800 seat theater set up in that ballroom.

The Anaheim Convention Center has 1.6 Million Square Feet of public exhibit space to use under one roof.
Walt Disney World has 460,000 square feet of public exhibit space, spread across five different hotels; Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, and Yacht Club.

SirLink

Theatre in the Wild is where Finding Nemo the Musical is performed, not FotLK. I would not be surprised if Avatarland construction doesn't start until 2014, but there is no reason they couldn't start work before FotLK is moved. They could start work in the backstage areas behind CMM.

Whatever you know what I mean .... they won't not with them trying to balance the budget and ballooning NGE costs.

CinematicFusion

No construction will take place until after the new FoTLK opens up. They kinda tipped their hand when they said the new theatre would be opening up in 2014 ... NGE strikes again. Get used to it. Go and see the better competition.

I guess you are right...That should be Disney's new slogan...
"Welcome to Walt Disney World...Get use to It and go see the better competition!"

I like what Disney has done with Marvel, Pixar seems to be in good hands, and I have faith they will deliver with Star Wars.
I just can't believe they are turning their backs to creating new and exciting rides at WDW.
Not sure why. Yes...Fantasy Land expansion is very cool...but, there are 3 other parks on that property.

tl77

I agree 100%. Just saying that size does not matter....in this case and this case only...lol.... MOving it to the east coast would be a logistical nightmare for everything they could display. All of those crates.

They had the Florida Project event in Epoct's convention space in 2011, and they did something for the Haunted Mansion in the Contemporary a few years back

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/highlights-from-the-florida-project-event-at-epcot/

DizFiz

Well the crowd issue is still a problem and thought they would have worked out the kinks by now. It great to see Tony Baxter finally become a Disney Legend... I loved Iger's remark regarding Figment but I wouldn't guarantee what he said.... Baxter now pushing for Dreamfinders return... I pray imagination benefits :)

SirLink

I guess you are right...That should be Disney's new slogan...
"Welcome to Walt Disney World...Get use to It and go see the better competition!"

I like what Disney has done with Marvel, Pixar seems to be in good hands, and I have faith they will deliver with Star Wars.
I just can't believe they are turning their backs to creating new and exciting rides at WDW.
Not sure why. Yes...Fantasy Land expansion is very cool...but, there are 3 other parks on that property.

To me that was very 'meh' ...

Funmeister

The Coronado Ballroom at Coronado Springs is the largest ballroom on WDW property, at 64,000 square feet. That is roughly the same size as the ballroom used for Stage 23 on the third floor of the Anaheim Convention Center, where the D23 Expo presentations from Walt Disney Studios and Pixar are being presented in a 3,800 seat theater set up in that ballroom.

The Anaheim Convention Center has 1.6 Million Square Feet of public exhibit space to use under one roof.
Walt Disney World has 460,000 square feet of public exhibit space, spread across five different hotels; Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, and Yacht Club.

Ok then why not Orlando Convention Center on I Drive?

Figment82

Kuhio

When you say D3 do you mean D23? Because unless Disney is changing something, D23's are only held every other year so there won't be one next year.

Hadn't you heard? Due to budget cuts, Disney has decided that the number 2 costs too much to maintain.

Since lifestylers and superfans are going to attend the Expo anyway so long as there is "limited edition" merchandise and a few intentionally vague "sneak peeks" are offered, the official fan club is just going to be D3 from here on out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom