News D23 Expo 2022

disneylandtour

Well, they have shown off so much of what I expected for the panel that it’s making me think maybe we ARE getting announcements. I expected every morsel to be held for the Parks panel. If they only show us Tiana, Walt, ToonTown and Journey of Water it’ll definitely be very odd now because we’ve seen a lot of it at this point.
In these models, they've shown us the outlines of these projects. I'm not saying there won't be other projects announced. But there's still time to explore/explain the show scenes and other animatronics in Tiana's, the area changes to Toontown that aren't clear on the model, the scene changes/enhancements to Runaway Railway, the water motion effects for Journey of Water, etc. Also there's a lot to cover in the Epcot spine project, the Disneyland Treehouse, the Pixar hotel, improvements to Downtown Disney, the Disneyland hotel expansion, the DVD tower at the Poly, etc. Don't forget the video montage of the Tron Coaster. I'm hopeful for real announcements as well, but don't kid yourself: a presentation could work all of these areas of previously announced projects for a sizable chunk of time still.

disneylandtour

And for anyone who thinks Epic Universe will impact Disney’s decision-making, I don’t think it would be in the way people are hoping. EU will add even more strain on the labor market, making Disney even more reluctant to add new attractions.
The labor market is tight now and has been for about a year-and-a-half. I doubt how Disney/Universal perceives the labor market in three to five years will impact much in terms of park expansion. The biggest labor problems are in trained cooks and other kitchen staff and housekeeping, which are non-operations concerns. In fact Disney has already announced projects, such as the DVC expansion, that will strain these exact areas. The labor pinchpoints won't be attraction operations, which are mostly unskilled college students.

Dan Deesnee

The labor market is tight now and has been for about a year-and-a-half. I doubt how Disney/Universal perceives the labor market in three to five years will impact much in terms of park expansion. The biggest labor problems are in trained cooks and other kitchen staff and housekeeping, which are non-operations concerns. In fact Disney has already announced projects, such as the DVC expansion, that will strain these exact areas. The labor pinchpoints won't be attraction operations, which are mostly unskilled college students.

Bingo. Labor markets are impossible to predict and already showing signs of normalizing. Disney won't let that affect what they do or accounce coming 2-4 years from now.

Disney is watching Epic Universe closely. I expect a few bombshell announcements over the next 1-2 years with little likelihood anything announced comes to fruition without being very scaled back. They want to steal hype and attention.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
In these models, they've shown us the outlines of these projects. I'm not saying there won't be other projects announced. But there's still time to explore/explain the show scenes and other animatronics in Tiana's, the area changes to Toontown that aren't clear on the model, the scene changes/enhancements to Runaway Railway, the water motion effects for Journey of Water, etc. Also there's a lot to cover in the Epcot spine project, the Disneyland Treehouse, the Pixar hotel, improvements to Downtown Disney, the Disneyland hotel expansion, the DVD tower at the Poly, etc. Don't forget the video montage of the Tron Coaster. I'm hopeful for real announcements as well, but don't kid yourself: a presentation could work all of these areas of previously announced projects for a sizable chunk of time still.
I think we are all waiting on a big surprise announcement for WDW expansion (new attractions) of some kind but even though I’m hoping for the best, I’m expecting the same recycled stuff they’ve announced in the past with updates mainly.

jaxonp

The tone and mood of this D23 and the current state of TWDC says they won’t announce anything substantial. Current realty…

The optimist in me says that Disney will blow us away and shock us with what they’re planning.

I like option two so much more… I’d also like Bob Cheap(Ak) to go away. I guess we don’t always get what we want.

Lilofan

In a number of areas of Central FL, there are a number of apt complexes being built when we were there recently. With occupancy in apts running near or close to full, one may think this can help the labor shortage?

Jrb1979

I think there's reason for optimism.
They may announce something big. The thing is the last few major additions haven't been that impressive outside of Guardians. Avengers Campus in both DCA and DLP have been lackluster, Remy has had mixed reviews and Tron, while not open yet already has complaints due to being able to see the large warehouse the coaster is in.

jaxonp

They may announce something big. The thing is the last few major additions haven't been that impressive outside of Guardians. Avengers Campus in both DCA and DLP have been lackluster, Remy has had mixed reviews and Tron, while not open yet already has complaints due to being able to see the large warehouse the coaster is in.

Tron will follow a similar ho hum path as Rat. It’s simply not a game changer in anyway.

bhg469

And you know this how?

Especially since are insiders are saying that Disney isn't that concerned about EU. It's not like EU will have any surprises since Uni fans have already mapped out all the attractions being built.
It is pretty incredible seeing how detailed people have gotten with the overhead photos and basically every footing that is poured.. They did the same thing with the last two coasters at IOA but the entire park is fascinating to watch, especially since I work less than a mile from the site and see it just about every day.

kevlightyear

I think the brass's biggest task this year is to convince us that these presentations mean anything. They overwhelmed us with big plans and promises only to cancel or downsize most of them. "Plans change...economic surprises..." yada yada yada. Don't announce something as happening unless you're absolutely sure it's happening. Otherwise, the short term excitement you generate turns into long term disappointment. I don't want vaporware announcements.

CaptainAmerica

For the Walt on a toilet statue? or more
The phrase I keep hearing is "Bob (or Josh, depending on who's telling it) wants something big for D23."

1662733522390.png

I think, frankly, they were embarrassed last year and can't get away with "churros are coming back" as the grand finale again.

I know absolutely nothing, but if I were betting, I'd predict 1.5 surprises that people are really pleased with, on a timeline that people are really frustrated with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom