News D23 Expo 2022

Dan Deesnee

And you know this how?

Especially since are insiders are saying that Disney isn't that concerned about EU. It's not like EU will have any surprises since Uni fans have already mapped out all the attractions being built.

Common sense and working in the executive level corporate space for nearly 20 years.

If your biggest competitor down the street is doing something huge and potentially game changing, you pay attention, extremely close attention.

How people can still think "Disney doesn't care" is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Lastly, but with a grain of salt, several no-hype Disney YouTubers have stated multiple times that Disney is watching EU closely.

EricsBiscuit

I think there's reason for optimism.
Perhaps one is this:
443C7002-F07F-452B-B254-59A084324C6A.jpeg

The description I believe is different and much more exciting than the earlier one they released. SS from the app.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How people can still think "Disney doesn't care" is beyond my ability to comprehend.
Because the opening of Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld and all the other tourist parks in the area didn't keep the MK from becoming so crowded that after ticket price spikes failed to control the crowds, they had to resort to park reservations.

EU has the same amount of rides as Epcot, but no World Showcase. It'll cause a small dip in WDW's attendance for a year or two, and then be back at full capacity.

EricsBiscuit

Because the opening of Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld and all the other tourist parks in the area didn't keep the MK from becoming so crowded that after ticket price spikes failed to control the crowds, they had to resort to park reservations.

EU has the same amount of rides as Epcot, but no World Showcase. It'll cause a small dip in WDW's attendance for a year or two, and then be back at full capacity.
Except when those opened, they didn’t threaten to turn their respective resorts into a true competitor to WDW. Even IoA only turned Uni from maybe a day trip to perhaps 2 days one night for most people. EU will turn UOR into its own destination resort. It will no longer be a supplement to Disney. It will become an entree! It’s like transforming from the Mac N’ Cheese and mashed sweet potatoes into the actual Filet mignon!!

UNCgolf

They also don't have the same customer base. Of course there's overlap (and plenty of it), but it's not one to one.

Look at Guardians and Ratatouille (solely because they're a recent example) -- a Guardians equivalent would likely be more popular than a Ratatouille equivalent at Universal, because their attendance mix skews more towards coasters/thrill rides and less families with small kids. At Disney, Ratatouille was apparently at least as popular as Guardians if not slightly more popular.

I don't think Disney is too concerned about EU.

DisneyDodo

Disney will probably see a long-term dip in market share, which will be offset by an increase in total tourism to Orlando — they’ll get a smaller piece of a bigger pie.

I would imagine a bigger concern for Disney would be on the resort side. Disney hotels are not priced competitively and don’t have nearly as many perks as they used to, so I can see a lot more guests choosing to stay at Uni and visit Disney who would have normally done the opposite.

Jrb1979

They also don't have the same customer base. Of course there's overlap (and plenty of it), but it's not one to one.

Look at Guardians and Ratatouille (solely because they're a recent example) -- a Guardians equivalent would likely be more popular than a Ratatouille equivalent at Universal, because their attendance mix skews more towards coasters/thrill rides and less families with small kids. At Disney, Ratatouille was apparently at least as popular as Guardians if not slightly more popular.

I don't think Disney is too concerned about EU.
Which is unfortunate. Like I posted in another thread, most Disney guests aren't ride people. IP and theme mean more then the ride itself. A good example is Velicoaster. One of the best coasters out there and has decent theming. For many Disney guests it's not themed enough or too intense.

vikescaper

The virtual queue process for the shops is a pain in the rear but I was able to get into the D23 Expo Marketplace. They also need to offer Lightning Lane access for the restrooms and concessions stand in the queue room. 😉

UNCgolf

I would imagine a bigger concern for Disney would be on the resort side. Disney hotels are not priced competitively and don’t have nearly as many perks as they used to, so I can see a lot more guests choosing to stay at Uni and visit Disney who would have normally done the opposite.

Yeah, if I was planning a long trip and doing both Universal and Disney, I'd definitely consider staying somewhere like the Royal Pacific for the whole trip. The perks (Express Pass) are fantastic, they're very nice hotels, and they're much less expensive than comparable Disney resorts.

I'm not sure how many Disney visitors do both on one trip, though -- I'd guess it's a relatively small percentage.

FigmentFan82

Except when those opened, they didn’t threaten to turn their respective resorts into a true competitor to WDW. Even IoA only turned Uni from maybe a day trip to perhaps 2 days one night for most people. EU will turn UOR into its own destination resort. It will no longer be a supplement to Disney. It will become an entree! It’s like transforming from the Mac N’ Cheese and mashed sweet potatoes into the actual Filet mignon!!
They also got that fancy, fairly new, water park. Seems like Uni is a very easy full week trip when EU opens.

fgmnt

Yeah, if I was planning a long trip and doing both Universal and Disney, I'd definitely consider staying somewhere like the Royal Pacific for the whole trip. The perks (Express Pass) are fantastic, they're very nice hotels, and they're much less expensive than comparable Disney resorts.

I'm not sure how many Disney visitors do both on one trip, though -- I'd guess it's a relatively small percentage.
In my opinion, that drive down I-4 to Disney and back is just so punishing. Mostly morning commute into WDW, since you can conceivably stay in the Reedy Creek area thru the end of evening rush hour.

bhg469

In my opinion, that drive down I-4 to Disney and back is just so punishing. Mostly morning commute into WDW, since you can conceivably stay in the Reedy Creek area thru the end of evening rush hour.
If you think that's bad... The champions gate exit would give you PTSD! It is possible to avoid the I-4, it only adds 20 minutes onto the drive.

EeyoreFan#24

Palm Springs Air Museum is a top notch air museum. Really excellent. Great location for any plane that needs preservation.

This is probably my favorite announcement so far. It should finally get the attention is needs. I hope to get out there one day to see it in person.

I also hope people realize how much of a life saver this is for the aircraft.

Indy_UK

Make what you want of it but on the parks Instagram account, Cash D’amaro does say to stay tuned for ‘updates’

I don’t think they’re announcing much at all

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
So what's on shop Disney creating crowds? I received a notification about d23 stuff and clicked to check it out and there were nearly 30,000 people ahead in a virtual queue and 10 minutes to shop.

ETA: I got in and it's a normal dump of new stuff, a mix of good and bad. Nothing to make understand why a d23 drop.

CaptainAmerica

So what's on shop Disney creating crowds? I received a notification about d23 stuff and clicked to check it out and there were nearly 30,000 people ahead in a virtual queue and 10 minutes to shop.
Nothing that gets my juices flowing. Black Panther stuff. Tiana stuff. White-on-white Star Wars stuff. A few new prints.

JustInTime

ETA: I got in and it's a normal dump of new stuff, a mix of good and bad. Nothing to make understand why a d23 drop.
Some of the stuff they teased online this morning like the Willow collection isn’t even online. I didn’t get anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom