News D23 Expo 2019

Where did they say neighborhoods? In a video or a CM at the display?

Seems they liked the concept from Pixar Pier where you can just throw random things together and call it a land as long you give vague definitions of "neighborhoods."

To be fair, "Future World" has been the least-cohesive "land" in all of Walt Disney World for a while now. In its current state, it's basically just a collection of rides. Soarin', Test Track, and Journey into Imagination share no discernible "Future World" theme.
Any additional place-making will likely only be an improvement IMO.

doctornick

To be fair, "Future World" has been the least-cohesive "land" in all of Walt Disney World for a while now. In its current state, it's basically just a collection of rides. Soarin', Test Track, and Journey into Imagination share no discernible "Future World" theme.
Any additional place-making will likely only be an improvement IMO.

That's why I'm actually intrigued by what the new "lands" or themes will be for Future World (it sounds like it is being split into three areas). Having smaller sections that are more unified could actually help tighten things up and seem less like a hodgepodge.

Indy_UK

I'm interested in that massive raised building in the middle which will be grass topped. Looked like some sort of TV studio inside.

Mike S

$$$ incoming

That hat seems familiar...
2015-marty-mcfly-hat.jpg

Now I might need it.

disney4life2008

Wow so the new show looks alot like world of color. I'm in!! I know illuminations is amazing but I love world of color.

All the trees and stuff I could do without. The street performers will be eliminated a year after opening.

Darth Snips

From a design standpoint, I have to say these pieces concept art have gotten me super excited for what’s to come. The new eco futuristic look of Future World 3.0 should bring a whole new wow factor to the park. It’s reassuring that despite instances of controversial IP placement, Future World will at least feel genuienely futuristic once more.
I think you just perfectly worded my thoughts as well! I’m genuinely impressed how futuristic the aesthetic looks. Even with the IP integration, this still looks like a place of inspiration and hope.

Please, Disney, don’t pull something stupid at the last minute. Let this be as good as it looks.
Because it looks soooo good! 😍

Figments Friend

Observations I can comment on now that the 'old concept art overlaid with new concept ' Epcot artwork has been released -

I find it either a sly intended retro reference fo the past to create some nostalgic feelings, or just artistic laziness when I look at this 'repainting' of the famous old EPCOT Center concept design with a overlay of the new layout planned for the Park.
Something just isn't sitting right with me with that....seems a bit odd.
Also notice how the gigantic eyesore that is the 'Guardians' building is completely out of frame in the artwork......
;)

And speaking of odd...
The 'missing' Communicore building makes the area look oddly unbalanced.
Why keep one 'half', and not the other...?
Perhaps I'm just showing my age, but it looks visually strange to my eyes.

That 'Moana' water feature....
Why at Epcot of all places..?

Still loving those neat posters....and the additional Pavillion logos.
But all the prettiest artwork in the world won't mean anything unless this 'new Epcot' has substance and purpose.
It looks promising, but looks can indeed be deceiving.

Cautiously optimistic.....
Lots more to be revealed soon.

-

Sam Magic

Based on the above video it seems the elevated building you can see in the concept art by World Showcase Lagoon will serve a similar function as the 1964 NYC World's Fair's New York Pavilion; some kind of gathering/concert/expo space. Seems like a modern take on that concept.

Mike S

Observations I can comment on now that the 'old concept art overlaid with new concept ' Epcot artwork has been released -

I find it either a sly intended retro reference fo the past to create some nostalgic feelings, or just artistic laziness when I look at this 'repainting' of the famous old EPCOT Center concept design with a overlay of the new layout planned for the Park.
Something just isn't sitting right with me with that....seems a bit odd.
Also notice how the gigantic eyesore that is the 'Guardians' building is completely out of frame in the artwork......
;)

And speaking of odd...
The 'missing' Communicore building makes the area look oddly unbalanced.
Why keep one 'half', and not the other...?
Perhaps I'm just showing my age, but it looks visually strange to my eyes.

That 'Moana' water feature....
Why at Epcot of all places..?

Still loving those neat posters....and the additional Pavillion logos.
But all the prettiest artwork in the world won't mean anything unless this 'new Epcot' has substance and purpose.
It looks promising, but looks can indeed be deceiving.

Cautiously optimistic.....
Lots more to be revealed soon.

-
Be honest. All they have to do is fix Imagination and you’ll be golden ;)

Figments Friend

Be honest. All they have to do is fix Imagination and you’ll be golden ;)

That would be nice, but there is a lot more that has to be done with the entire Park as a whole to bring the bar back up to the level of inspirational excellence that was once spread beyond those entrance turnstiles.

'Fixing' the Imagination Pavillion would be a good step forward....if done the right way.

Yeah, how about that Imagination Pavillion, huh...?
;)

-

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest, Disney isn't exactly thrilled about telling the general public that "Amazing things are coming in future years" for fear of people not coming to the parks now. They know they have an intense fanbase that is hellbent to know these plans, so they'll throw announcement events for them (and make money off of them). Disney knows these fans will come to the parks this year anyway. But Disney would rather the general public think the biggest thing coming out of D23 will be new Rise of Skywalker footage or something like that.

Apple and Google, their events are normally to herald products that become available within a month or so of their announcements. They aren't giving presentations about what kind of phone or watch they will sell in 2021.
Well...I’ll give you marks for coming up with an original angle on this one 😉

britain

I'll praise the lengthy EPCOT 'moving' concept art videos. (And hey - looks like they fashioned a usable font out of the old logo!) But nary an actual architecturally accurate model!?

TP2000

Thank you for posting that! It saves many of us in SoCal a trip to Anaheim this weekend.

Is it me, or is this year's Imagineering Pavilion kind of vague and weak? There doesn't seem to be much there, there. In the past, the WDI pavilions have been grand with musical pre-shows and grand reveals and endless interactive exhibits. What happened? Chapek?

Also, Imagineer Ann Morrow's skirt is very, very short! Do they not have a dress code any more, or can young ladies just wear micro-mini skirts to their companies big public exposition?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom